10 day budget trip Switzerland for Indian family

• Swarupadhau
    Participant
    4 posts
    11 November 2018 at 11:27:23 #818919

Hi,

We are 2 families from India, 4 adult and 2 children, looking for a budget trip. Switzerland become our dream tour destination since we saw DDLJ. We do not have any clear idea about how much it will cost us for 10 days.

We need your help to sort it out in a low budget. We are planning to visit during July.

Looking forward for best guidance from you.

Regards,

Swarup Adhau

• Arno
    15484 posts
    11 November 2018 at 11:42:43 #898939

Hi Swarup Adhau,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! In general Switzerland is costly, but costs can vary greatly with the choices you make: one base or multiple bases, what is it that you want to do, what kind of accommodation and transportation do you prefer? I’d recommend to start with the below tips, create a tentative itinerary, and get back here for feedback and further questions:

Do you want to visit DDLJ filimg locations or isn’t that the main purpose? If so, please check the below links and use the search box to find more information on MySwissAlps.com.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2018 at 0:17:44 #898940

Hi,

I am planning my trip to Switzerland in Dec 2018.

Just to give you an idea

Tickets from India to Switzerland costed me INR 70,000/person

Average cost of hotel in Switzerland for 2 person INR 6000/ day

Swiss travel Pass per person for 8 days (Bonus 2 more days if you book before 27 Dec)INR 30,000. It may include child’s fair as well you would like to know the terms and condition of it.

With Swiss travel pass you would get lots of benefits but you will still need to pay to specific tourists places, cables cars etc.

Include food INR 2500 2 person per meal

Hopefully this gives you a rough idea of how would need to spend

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 November 2018 at 1:06:34 #898941

Not sure that I understand the currency conversion.

<<“Include food 2500 inr 2 person”>>

Is that per day, or for the trip?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2018 at 1:13:12 #898942

It’s per day… I just fixed it in my original comment also

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    12 November 2018 at 5:06:58 #898943

For those interested in how the Indian Rupee translates to the Swiss Franc, today 1000 INR is 13.80 CHF.

So 2500 INR per day for food is 34.50 CHF, which I think is low for 2 people, unless buying at grocery stores, and even then, 17.25 CHF per person per day is pretty low !

And 6000 INR per day for hotel (2 people) works out to 82.80 CHF, which I think is low, but this obviously depends on the location. If you were to choose two bases (say 5 days in each) you might be able to find a bnb that would give a discount for extra days. I think I read that MySwissAlps does not recommend AirBnB, but perhaps BnB.ch is acceptable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2018 at 5:18:34 #898944

(So 2500 INR per day for food is 34.50 CHF, which I think is low for 2 people, unless buying at grocery stores, and even then, 17.25 CHF per person per day is pretty low !)

I said per meal not per day… Per day should be around 7000 INR or let’s say 100 Chf.

Most of the hotels were around 8000-9000 INR, but I got extra discount due to make my trip app which is available in India. Hotels are always discounted over there..

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    12 November 2018 at 5:57:37 #898945

Not to argue, but actually, in response to Slowpoke’s question:

<<“Include food 2500 inr 2 person”>> Is that per day, or for the trip? Slowpoke

you replied: <<It’s per day… I just fixed it in my original comment also>>

I did not go back to see how you had fixed your original comment, assuming that you had said per day there as well. So you are saying 7000 INR (or about 100 CHF per day for 2 people) or 50 CHF per person per day ? That is much more reasonable. It is always better to over budget than under budget. Always nice to come home with some extra CHF you can set aside for your next trip to Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 November 2018 at 6:02:59 #898946

Thanks for letting me know..

I must have typed it by mistake.. Thats the problem with when you blog from your phone

Sorry about that

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    12 November 2018 at 6:10:26 #898947

I know what you mean ! I can’t stand using the keyboard on my Samsung mobile phone. I only use it for the occasional text message and of course for WhatsApp. The one saving grace is predictive text.

Swarupadhau
    Participant
    4 posts
    12 November 2018 at 9:26:30 #898948

Thank you very much. I will do the needful now.

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    16 November 2018 at 18:22:11 #898949

To add to the views of members ..

I booked flight tickets in Sep 2018 ,travel dates Aug 2019 for 570 CHF/per person

My hotel for 8 nights costed me 1200 chf/twin sharing

Can comment on food only once I go there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2018 at 2:48:58 #898950

Dear Brother Mehta ji,

I although not so fussy about non veg food, but my family is and recently, i inquired with a hotel before booking whether their complementary breakfast pure Vegetarian only or what and they replied in negative, and hence, even booking hotel complementary as breakfast, not guaranteed as vegetarian food always and if family members are strict veg, its a problem.

One solution we always found more convenient these days , that we get a very good variety of packet food from big branded company, which are as good quality as home made and hence, since last 3 years of all our foreign journeys, we made a practice to have a small cartoon stuffed with some good hygienic branded packet food also as it becomes very handy at times and healthy and cheap too and more importantly suits our taste , rather keep searching Indian restaurant at all visiting places on daily basis. Having said that on some days its also a fun to have one food say dinner at the restaurant.

To make it budget effective, you have to chalk out your program of various visiting attractions in an excel sheet , and to compare the cost for various regional and swiss travel passes and to see which way costs the less.

A journey of 8-10 days, two base are always preferable and accordingly, place and hotel selection comes in handy.

thanks and regards

CA SUNIL HANSARIA

jatinsmehta
    Participant
    114 posts
    20 November 2018 at 7:39:12 #898951

Dear CA SUNIL HANSARIA,

Thank you for the sugetions, my excel is ready so is my itinerary. Regarding food, we aren’t fussy about it, though we eat only veg food & we plan to take ready made food packets like MTR etc .

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 November 2018 at 7:38:05 #898952

Hmm…., Dal Makhani from MTR. Mmm mm ! And it won’t take up much room in your luggage.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    22 November 2018 at 6:08:14 #898953

I visited Switzerland in April-May 2018 for 8 days (My plan was to do budget trip only). We were two people (me and my wife). Following were our approx. cost

1. Airfare to Zurich and return (from Mumbai) – INR 73,000 for two (booked in first week of January for last week of April) CHF 1,000

2. Swiss Travel Pass – INR 57,000 (CHF 796) for two. My recommendation: If you have someone who can pay in USD for STP (may be some one you know who stays in USA), ask him/her to pay on your behalf. It would be better option because forex conversion plays a bigger role to increase your cost. I realized it afterwards else I would have saved approx. INR 4-5k. Also, do not buy STP in hurry. Wait for some discount offer. myswissalps.com post about offers regularly. Always book STP on email option rather than physical transfer. This is much more convenient.

3. Stay – Average was INR 6,500 per night. (CHF 92) (Average is for 8 nights). I know this forum does not recommend Airbnb, but to save my cost, I had to book AirBnB. I booked Airbnb for 7 nights and Hotel for last night.We took Airbnb with Kitchen facilities so that we could also save money on food.

4. Food – We brought with us lot of snacks, some fruits like mangoes apples etc, Thepla, dehydrated food packets of bhaji, sabji etc., maggi packets, MTR packets etc. We used kitchen to make food whenever we wanted. Wherever we went, we kept with us Tang packet to refresh us. Frankly speaking, Food in Switzerland is for sure expansive when you compare it with India. We ate food in Hotel only 2-3 times. We had to keep expenses within our budget. We spent little amount in Food there.

However, there are many Indian restaurants you will find in Switzerland which is very good.

5. Mountains: We went to Jungfrau and Titlis for which we had to pay in addition to STP. Please also keep cost for mountain visits while you consider your total budget.

6. Visa from India: It was INR 7k per person if I remember correctly (CHF 95)

These were the major cost we considered. If I add everything, we did 9 days 8 nights Switzerland Trip in INR 2.4 Lac for 2 people (CHF 3350 for two).Our main intention was to save cost in Stay and Food. We did not compromise in Exploring Switzerland. I would have added more INR 60-70k for food if I planned to have food from restaurant every day.

You can find my travel report at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/our-switzerland-trip-in-april-may-2018-from-india

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Pratik

• The thread ‘10 day budget trip Switzerland for Indian family’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.