Our Switzerland trip in April-May 2018 from India

• cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    17 November 2018 at 7:33:29 #818967

Hello Guys,

Before starting, I would like to thank myswissalps team and members because of whom our trip was possible as this was our (me and my wife) FIRST International Trip from India. After looking at myswissalps.com, I made a mind that Switzerland is for sure a safe country to visit alone (or without a group). With the help of this forum, I planned trip on my own and believe me, it was executed properly.

I am sorry that I am very LATE to post my trip report here but somehow, I have got time now to post it. We were obviously very excited to visit Switzerland. You can find our initial itinerary at this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/itinerary-for-8-nights-in-switzerland-in-aprilmay All the answers given by team and members were really helpful.

Our Trip was from 26th April to 04th May 2018 (We had taken 8 days STP which was obviously best option for travel in Switzerland)

Day 1 – We took a flight from India at 06 am morning and was supposed to reach Zurich by afternoon. We were having layover of 1 Hr at Istanbul and unfortunately, we missed our connecting flight from Istanbul to Zurich. That was very sad experience for us as it was our first international trip (and that too alone). We had to wait for 6 hours to catch next flight. However, the good part was that I learnt to avoid to book connecting flight having layover of less than 2 hr.

Anyways, we landed in Zurich at 07:30 pm (we missed half of the day). On Airport, we searched for Salt Store and bought a prepay sim card of CHF 10 which gave us credit of CHF 20 (CHF 2 for a day for unlimited internet). This was best and cheapest deal. We used the card in one device and we used hotspot to use internet in another device. The network of Salt sim card was good throughout our Journey. I personally recommend to buy Salt Card. I sincerely thank @rockoyster to recommend this. It saved good money for us. (Reference: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/around-switzerland-via-stp-flex-and-sbb-mobile-app) The bad part was that there were only one executive at Salt Store (Airport) to attend customers because of which we had to wait for almost 1 and half hour for our turn.

We had booked Airbnb (to minimize our cost) in Interlaken for first 4 nights. Because of all delay during day, we reached at our Airbnb at 11:30 pm.

Day 2 (Jungfraujoch)

We checked the weather of Jungfraujoch and it looked bit cloudy. However, we still made a mind to go to Jungfrau to maintain our itinerary. It was the most amazing train journey from Interlaken OST to Jungfrau. Since we had taken STP, we had to take ticket for the travel leg of Wengen to Jungfrau. We decided to take a ticket in Lauterbrunnen from Wengen – Jungfrau – Grindelwald (we got 25% discount because of Swiss Travel Pass).

It was an amazing train journey to Jungfrau. Switzerland is blessed by Nature. We were amazed by the Infrastructure Switzerland has. We explored almost everything on Jungfrau and spent approx. 4 hours there. Then we took a train to Grindelwald and from there to our stay at Interlaken. We wanted to explore Grindelwald but during that time, many things were closed due to maintenance. We took lot of photos and videos and enjoyed a lot there.

We then wanted to explore Interlaken West. It was also amazing town to roam around. We went to restaurant and had food. Frankly speaking, Interlaken West is better than Interlaken OST for stay.

Day 3 (Schilthorn)

We took a train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and then took cable car to Grütschalp. Then immediately we got the train to Murren BLM. From there, we walked towards Murren Cable car station. It was an amazing walk in Murren. Murren is beautiful village having view of Lauterbrunnen Valley and Jungfrau from there. We then took cable car towards Schilthorn. Schilthorn was also an amazing mountain. Jungfrau was cloudy on that day hence we did not have clear view of it from Schilthorn. However, view from Shilthorn towards opposite direction was too good. Piz Gloria was amazing revolving restaurant.

We then went to Birg and experience Thrill Walk there. The restaurant was also good. We got down to Stechelberg via Murren and Gimmelwald. We took a bus to Lauterbrunnen and then to Interlaken OST. We still had time with us so decided to go to Thun to see Schadaupark to relax. It was good park. View of Thunersee was amazing from this Park.

Day 4 (Montreux – Broc)

We had already planned to taken Golden Pass Route to go Montreux. We took early train from Interlaken OST. We got a chance to travel in Golden Pass Panoramic train. I was surprised to see that entire coach was empty (only two of us were there in that coach). The journey to Montreux was amazing especially when the train was descending to Montreux (the last lag). We took a bus to Chillon Castle and explored it. It was good preserved monument. In afternoon, we then went to Broc to visit Chocolate factory. This was one of the best part of our trip (as per my wife 😊) Then we got back to Interlaken (via Bern).

For next 3 nights, we booked Airbnb in Lucerne.

Day 5 (LucernBern)

We had to move to Lucerne for our next 3 nights stay. There was a rain at last night because of which the weather was cool and breezing in the morning. Journey from Interlaken OST to Lucerne was also amazing (Golden Pass Route) especially near Brinzersee. We could see lot of waterfalls from train in this route. We reached Lucerne and settled our language and within an hour left for Bern.

As soon as we reached Bern, we fell in love with the city. City was mixture of Modernization and Old town. There were many places to visit in Bern. Parliament House, The Bridge over River, Rose Garden (did not like much), Einsteinhaus, Clock tower etc. We especially liked Old Town. We have never seen such amazing town before. We spent some time at Bundesplatz Bern to relax. Bern was one of the best highlight of our trip. We spent entire day here.

Day 6 (Engelberg – Titlis)

This was one of the best day of our trip. Weather was much cooler because of rain of last night. We got down to Engelberg by train and then took bus to Engelberg (Talstation Titlis). We experienced rotating cable car towards Mount Titlis. Titlis is one of the best Mountain in Switzerland. Additionally, we experienced Snow Fall on that particular day and it was like heaven (we had never experienced snow fall before in India so for us, experiencing snowfall is best part of our life). We enjoyed a lot in snow park, took Ice Flyer (what an experience!), Cliff Walk (amazing infrastructure piece). Snow was continuously falling till the time we were on Mount Titlis. We enjoyed some snow rides near Trubsee Gondola lift station which were free. [I was so much disappointed to know that I missed to see Trubsee Lake.) We went to see Chapel Bridge when we went back to Lucerne. It was nice structure to see. What a day it was!

Day 7 (Lucerne – Bern)

Our initial plan was to go to Rigi but my wife’s opinion was different as she still wanted to explore few unexplored places of Bern (it happens 😊). So, we decided to take a boat ride in Lucerne Lake (Round trip of 1 and half hour). It was relaxing ride. Views of lake from boat in all directions were marvellous. We then took a train to Bern and visited Einstein Museum (not bad) and other places. We roamed around Bern and enjoyed our walk there.

Day 8 – (Rheinfall and Zurich)

We had booked Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport (in Rumlang) for last night so as to get free ride to Airport on next day morning (our STP was getting expired on Day 8 hence we did not want to spent money on next day). We came to Hotel in Rumlang from Lucerne early morning and settled our luggage and immediately went to Rheinfall (direct train from Rumlang). Rheinfall was so big and amazing. We spent some time there. We then took train to Zurich to explore it. Zurich is also nice city to explore having modernization with rich historic places. We got back to our hotel by night.

Day 9 – We had morning flight so we decided to stay at hotel till that time. We took Flight to India with splendid memories. We did not want to leave the country as there were so much to explore but unfortunately because of lack of time, we could do little.

Switzerland is one of the best countries in the world for sure. It has thousands of hands of nature on it. However, most importantly, Country has created a best infrastructure to maintain it and it allows people to explore it to the fullest. I really like the way Switzerland is maintaining its Heaven.

Thank you reading such a long report. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    17 November 2018 at 7:41:19 #899194

You can see my video on our Trip to Switzerland on this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H2nsx3BNs4

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2018 at 9:18:04 #899195

Hi cspratik,

Thanks for the report – better late than never I always say! 🙂

Sounds like a good trip (once you finally arrived)!

Great video as well – hope you get a chance to return. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2018 at 2:21:32 #899196

Cspratik

What an amazing Swiss holiday you had? I liked very much reading your report

I hope you can to return one day? I have been very lucky to have dear friends who live in Bern and so I have had many and regular holidays there for 20 years. I always leave a piece of my heart there…I love everything about it and even though It’s a long trip from Australia It’s so worth the journey.

Cheers

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    19 November 2018 at 7:25:23 #899197

Thanks Lucas. I wish I can visit Switzerland soon.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    19 November 2018 at 7:26:36 #899198

Thank you Jdelchau2 for reading the report. You are right. Bern is one of the amazing city.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2018 at 11:21:48 #899199

HI

Could you review the following itinerary and choices we intend to make

Planned visit : 15th May 2019 to 25th May ( departure) 2019

Arrival, Day 0 : Zurich at 10 pm ( Lay over at istanbul for 9 hours , do day tour) , sleep at zurich airport hotel.

Day 1 ( 16th May )

• Don’t Initiate STP
    • Rent a car for whole day
    • Visit RHINE FALLS and then go to APPENZEL, visit Ebenalp and seeplasee lake
    • Sleep at Zurich Airport Hotel

Day 2 : Lucerne + Sleep at Lauterbrunnen

• Morning 9 am Leave for Lucerne
    • Park Luggage at Lucerene Railway Station
    • Explore Lucerne till 6 PM ( Including Mount Rigi)
    • Travel to Lauterbrunnen and sleep

From here comes the choices we need to make.

Option 1 is that we stay in Lauterbrunnen for whole week ( from 17th Night to 25th Morning )

Advantages

• We are traveling with a kid and the whole carry your baggage shuttling cities is no longer required
    • we wish to visit Zermatt too and its 2.5 hours from Lauterbrunnen. Staying there could be challenging if the weather doesn’t permit well. but if we are staying in LB, then we can plan alternatively to go anywhere.
    • Options we have if we stay as a base in LB
      • Schiltorn
      • Jungfaro
      • Grindelwald- FIrst
      • day trip to Spiez, bern
      • Montruex/chocoltae factory
      • Zermatt Gornegrat
    • Essentially, cut down the need to check in check out and explore freely. if we go to zermatt and stay there for 2 days, we will be slightly secluded and dependent only on zermatt given any near by location is 3-4 hours away.

What does the group recommend?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2018 at 16:32:44 #899200

Hi AbhishekAgg and welcome to MySwissAlps!

This thread is for cspratik’s trip report.

If you’d like advice on your trip plans, please start your own thread here: http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/miscellaneous

Thanks!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    22 November 2018 at 6:43:31 #899201

Hello Cspratik,

I have just completed reading your report and loved it all. It is so nice to hear how someone from a country very different from Switzerland sees and appreciates the country. In a few minutes I am going to check out your video !

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    22 November 2018 at 6:49:19 #899202

Thank you for reading Peterli. Switzerland deserves appreciation from everyone.Please let me know about the video (sorry about video’s length)

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    22 November 2018 at 7:04:07 #899203

Hello again, Pratik.

I just finished watching your video. It’s amazing how much you were able to cram into just 8 days ! It was neat to see you up in the snow and then in lush green areas with flowers blooming. You are very young and so will be able to come back many times to enjoy other parts of Switzerland.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    22 November 2018 at 7:21:17 #899204

Thank you for watching. I wish to come soon.I had listed down so many places to visit in Switzerland but because of lack of time, we had to narrow our itinerary.

On a separate note, you won’t believe but India has more beautiful places than Switzerland (no offence) and its so diversified that you will get every part of nature in a Single country (India has bigger Mountain than Jungfrau). However, India is lacking with Infrastructure whereas Switzerland has the best infra. it is the way Switzerland is maintaining its country which is bringing more and more Indian tourist visiting Switzerland than India.

In case if you get time, just check out http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-best-place-in-India-to-visit

Dear Admin, sorry, I am not sure if I can share link for India here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2018 at 1:38:57 #899205

Thank you both for sharing your trip report. I enjoyed reading it and watching your video. judging from your happy smiling faces you clearly had a great time. I hope you are able to return soon!

Maggie

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    23 November 2018 at 6:56:23 #899206

Hi Pratik,

I have never been to India but have dreamed of doing so for many years. And it is not just for Indian food, which I absolutely love, but for the energy of the Indian people, your history, and your scenery. I would love to continue a discussion with you but I would say that this forum is not the place. If you would like to exchange email addresses, we could certainly do so through Arno.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2019 at 19:29:59 #899207

Hi…I loved reading your story and I too am planning to visit Switzerland in April/May ..I would like to get in touch with you as I would like to as you few questions… My email is <removed>.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 February 2019 at 21:06:09 #899208

Welcome to MySwissAlps ElaineB!

You can ask questions here if they are specifically about Cspratik’s trip report. Otherwise you can best open a new thread. Sharing e-mail addresses is not allowed, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2019 at 2:51:03 #899209

Hi Pratik,

I am Nimesh Dedhia from Mumbai, India. I read your story and liked the way you described it. I had visited almost all the places you visited except bern in the May 2015 with my wife, daughter and son.

Now again we are visiting along with two more families to see this beautiful country along with Italynin May 2019.

You inspired me to wite such story after completion of my trip.

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    13 February 2019 at 4:24:57 #899210

Hi ElaineB,

Thank you so much for reading report. You can surely ask questions here, if you are comfortable.

Thanks

Regards,

Pratik

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    13 February 2019 at 4:37:55 #899211

Hi Nimesh,

Thank you for reading the report and I am glad you liked it.

It’s indeed a fabulous country to visit. I am yet to visit many places in Switzerland which I could not do in my this trip. I am surely gonna come back to Switzerland soon.

I hope you will have amazing trip and will wait for your trip report.

Thanks

Regards,

Pratik

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2019 at 14:37:43 #899212

Hi ,Pratik i read your post which was full of knowledge about your Swiss tour even I want yo visit Switzerland in May 2019 for 8 days (STP should have more options like 10 & 12 days too 😉)I have not finalised my itinerary yet we will be 3 adults n a child.I wanted to have details about your Air bnb stays snd how much u spent on that.Also Apart from STP how much you had to pay for mountain excursions? Choco factory tour was free or was covered in STP.? What cable or gondola rides were absolutely free? Thanking in anticipation…Inderjit

cspratik
    Participant
    44 posts
    19 February 2019 at 15:04:52 #899213

Hi Inderjit,

Thank you for reading my report. You can read my reply on this post. It has all details about what I spent.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/how-to-do-a-10-days-budget-trip-of-switzerland

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 25 total)
  • The thread ‘Our Switzerland trip in April-May 2018 from India’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.