How to enjoy the Swiss Alps on a limited budget?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2011 at 0:19:34 #804796

Hello everyone, I came to this forum searching for help. Next year, a couple of friends and I are going to Europe for a month. We’re on a tight schedule to see an X amount of cities, and I really want to see the Swiss Alps, but we’re all college students and we don’t really have a lot of money – we’re basically going to go with just enough euros to survive.

If we’re just going to take one day, it’s not really convenient to buy a rail pass, is it? I take it the area around Zermatt must be the most beautiful one, but I bet it’s pretty expensive, right? Is there any route relatively cheap that will allow us to at least get a glimpse of the beauty of the Alps?

Thank you for your time! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    12 December 2011 at 14:36:35 #834538

Hi Meech, welcome to the forum. You should look for a destination that’s close to the border as to minimize travel costs and the duration of the trip. Depending on where you’ll be coming from, this could be Bern, Thun, Lucerne or Interlaken if you’re entering from the north, Geneva or Zermatt if you’ll be arriving from France, Brig/Zermatt if you’re coming from Italy, St. Moritz if you’re coming from Austria, and so on. All the towns mentioned do offer a glimpse of the Alps (Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt and St. Moritz being close to the mountains). The next step is to calculate your travel costs and see whether a Swiss rail pass is economical. If you’ll be traveling large distances, a Swiss Transfer Ticket or Swiss Half Fare Card may still be worth your money, even if it’s for one day. You may qualify for city-to-city supersaver tickets too.

I hope this gets you started! Feel free to come up with any other questions. Best regards,

• The thread ‘How to enjoy the Swiss Alps on a limited budget?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.