How to plan my day tour to Swiss alps

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 July 2015 at 11:21:18 #807647

Hi everyone,

I am travelling with my family to Zurich and will reach on 7th august (Friday night), all are adults. We are planning to keep one day for the Swiss Alps and one day to explore Zurich. I read online that on Sunday most places in the city are closed. So I can keep my trip to Swiss Alps that day (Sunday). What I am confused about is

1) Is there snow in any of the Alps in august?

2) Which Alps is the closest to Zurich is cheap and has snow capped mountains?

3) which railway pass to choose which is best to travel to Alps and in the city. We don’t want any guide, plan to travel on our own.

4) Is one day enough for the Swiss Alpls?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    29 July 2015 at 18:20:47 #844843

Hello SafaSaleem, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Let’s take a look at your questions. No, one day is not enough to really explore the Alps. You could spend weeks there without getting bored. Zurich isn’t located close to the Alps and traveling times are quite long; please consult the timetable. All you can do within one day is visit a viewing point. If you’re lucky, skies are clear and you’ll enjoy fantastic views.

If you like to see snow, that narrows down the options a bit. Generally there is snow on the higher Alps in August. However, this summer has been extremely dry and hot so far, causing much of the snow to melt. So you’ll have to look for the really high viewing points. In all, I think the Titlis near Lucerne is your best bet. It’s about 1h50 by train from Zurich to Engelberg, where you can get in the cable car.

For one day in Zurich and one day in the Alps, you can consider either:

• a Zurich Card (please find a link at our Zurich travel page) plus regular full fare tickets for your trip to the mountains, or
    • a Swiss Half Fare Card, allowing a 50% discount on all trips. This may be cheaper if you plan some more long and expensive trip, or include a long boat trip over Lake Zurich.

Please follow these guidelines to calculate which option works out best for you.

• The thread ‘How to plan my day tour to Swiss alps’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.