4 days in Lucerne in July with 3 adults and 2 kids

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2019 at 6:26:13 #819478

Hi,

I’ve booked a family trip (3 adults, 2 kids) to Switzerland in late July this year and this will be our first trip to your beautiful country. Before I start, I have gone through several suggestions and itineraries from the internet to make the best out of the time spend here but ended up with some questions in mind. I hope to get some ideas and advise from this forum.

So, our trip will be about 5 days and 4 nights stay and will be based solely in the town of Lucerne. On day 1, we plan to have a half day tour in Zurich (we reach early morning) before leaving for Lucerne in late afternoon. So that means we have a balance of 3 and half days to spend, which I’d like to make the most of. Also, we’ll be using the Swiss Pass so no issues on the transportation side.

With the 2019 Swiss pass, the mountain excursions now include Rigi, Stanserhorn, Brunni and Schilthorn. I guess Mt. Rigi makes the most sense due to its proximity to Lucerne, which I plan for day 2. Would half day be enough to cover an excursion to Mt. Rigi?

On day 3, we’re thinking of visiting either Bern or Interlaken. Berne would be a nice city for a day of sightseeing, but they said the view from the train on Lucerne to Interlaken is not to be missed as well. I guess a nice compromise would be take an early train from Lucerne to Interlaken in the morning then head to Bern for in the afternoon before leaving back for Lucerne in the evening. (I believe daylight is longer in July for this to happen). Another alternative would be to visit Mt. Schiltorn from Interlaken (we don’t mind another mountain visit) but I’m not sure if it’s too taxing on the kids.

Day 4 would be free and easy roam surrounding Lucerne town (museums, parks etc.) for the kids with their mom and aunt, while I personally am thinking of taking a daytrip to view Mt. Matterhorn since it is one of my must-to-do wishlist of mine to view this mountain in person.

Day 5 is another easy half day spent in Lucerne before departing to Zurich airport in the afternoon. (Flight in the evening)

I hope this itinerary is doable and any advice to make the best out of trip would be appreciated. Many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 January 2019 at 12:42:39 #902122

Hi ErikRS, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Half a day could be enough for a ride to the top of the Rigi. You can spend an entire day too if you combine it with a longer boat trip, lunch and a hike, for example. More information can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi.

I think a round trip to Interlaken and then Bern is a good option if you don’t mind a long day. On the way back you can optionally take a regional train via Schüpfheim rather than the quickest option, for better scenery. I would not spend too much time on Interlaken itself as there is not much too see in town. The lakes and the Jungfrau region are the appealing areas near Interlaken.

I’d suggest to at least include one cable car ride for variety (Rigi is a train), so either Pilatus, Stanserhorn or Schilthorn, to name a few.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    15 January 2019 at 2:29:26 #902123

Hi ErikRS

I don’t want to change your plans in any way, shape or form, but I would think strongly about maybe spending at least one night in Zermatt if you’re going to see the Matterhorn. I say this because once you see it, you’ll understand what I mean. (Not sure how young the kids are, but my folks took us (3 kids) to see it when we were very young ages and we haven’t forgotten what it was like. They (your kids) would probably enjoy it as well. It took me some forty years to get back, but I did this past Sept. and loved every second of it.) I realize you only have limited time, but perhaps start there (Zermatt) and work your way back to Lucerne via Visp, (or Brig)/Kandersteg/Spiez/Interlaken. That too, is supposed to be a beautiful train ride. I realize it may seem like a lot to take in, but it would be worth it to look into. Perhaps that could replace going to Bern. Something to think over. There is so much to see, and so little time. Hope all goes well. Enjoy whichever you choose to do.

Danielsan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2019 at 8:29:45 #902124

Hey guys,

Been busy the past few days and have only gotten to this thread today. Once again, many thanks for the input. I know it’s a little bit early to plan for the trip but I’m super stoked about it. Danielsan, I totally get what you’re saying there – a few years back I went to Mt. Cook in New Zealand, while it is was no where as iconic as Matterhorn or Mt. Toblerone as my kids say, I was still totally blown away by it and the sight of it against the background of a starlit night sky is still on my mind to this very day.

I’m now thinking of spending one night in Zermatt like you recommended. My 3rd day plan would be to spend half the day in Bern before taking the train to Zermatt. Now I’m a bit torn on what to do on Day 4, should I return to Lucerne via Interlaken and take the cruise across Lake Brienz or should I take the Glacier Express route? (Zermatt – Andermatt – Göschenen – Lucerne) I can’t decide between the Golden Pass Route or the Glacier Express, well part of it anyways. I saw that the Zermatt – Andermatt train journey is about 4 hours and am currently wondering if there is a faster alternative.

Our 5th day will be spend around Lucerne or Zurich as our flight back is in the evening. Of course any ideas are most welcomed.

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 January 2019 at 13:48:38 #902125

Hi ErikRS,

If you want to avoid (most) backtracking and prefer a scenic trip, then the route Zermatt – Andermatt – Göschenen – Flüelen – Lucerne would be a good one. But it does take time indeed. Flüelen – Lucerne can be done by boat (recommended): http://www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakelucerne.

For the quickest way to get from A to B you can check the timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    29 January 2019 at 2:44:24 #902126

Hi ErikRS,

Yes, it is a tough call. You may want to check the timetables, as I believe it is only about 3 hours to Andermatt (from Zermatt) on the local routes. Then you can have (slightly) more time if you go to Lucerne via Fluelen (after Andermatt/Goschennen), which is a 3-hour boat ride into Lucerne. That is a beautiful boat ride. This way, perhaps you can forego the Lake Brienz boat, and ride the train instead. It travels right along the lake into Interlaken. Something to think about. Unfortunately, as I mentioned, you have so little time to do so much.

Danielsan

• The thread ‘4 days in Lucerne in July with 3 adults and 2 kids’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.