I need an advice please

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2010 at 7:53:18 #803932

A big hello to everyone

Im heading to switzerland tomorrow for the first time, i will arrive at geneva airport but i will be staying in a hotel in wengen for 2 weeks and then back to geneva airport, most of my activities will be around the region of interlaken to luterbrunnen.

So i was wondering what would be the best type of swiss pass in this case ?? My guess is swiss card !!!!!

Many thanks in advance

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 July 2010 at 10:07:33 #831615

Hello swiss2010! Which type of pass is best for you, depends on many factors. In the end the exact trips you’ll be making will decide which pass is most economical. Several options are suitable in your case. A Swiss Card could be fine indeed, as it covers your return trip from Geneva Airport to Wengen and grants a 50% discount on other trips during your stay.

Theoretically, you could also combine a Swiss Transfer Ticket with either a Regional Pass Bernese Oberland or a Jungfrau Railways Pass. But as the Swiss Transfer Ticket isn’t for sale in Switzerland and you’re leaving tomorrow, this won’t work out for you, so in all a Swiss Card may be the right choice. Actually a very similar case, with an arrival at Geneva Airport and a two week stay in Wengen, is described in this topic. The options I mentioned are further explained there.

Good luck and have a great stay in Wengen!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2010 at 10:19:48 #831616

Hi Annika

Again Many thanks for the informations

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 July 2010 at 22:51:26 #831617

I am interested in visiting the swiss alps. I don’t know when the best time would be weatherwise,.but I would like to take a week’s vacation there within the next 6 to 9 months. Would appreciate any informa tion you can send.

Annika
    7124 posts
    28 July 2010 at 3:19:05 #831618

Hello maryhforrest! Each time of the year in Switzerland has its own charm and it’s very hard to say which season or month offers the best chances of good weather. In winter, the lower areas can sometimes be covered in clouds and mist, whereas higher areas are clear. So if you consider a winter vacation, try to look for a destination at high altitude (for example: the Engadine in Graubünden). May and June are wonderful months for a visit. Nature is fresh and green and mountain tops are still snow-capped. July and August may offer the best chances of sunshine and dry weather, but this can hardly be predicted. Over the past years, it has happened quite often that the weather in spring was actually better than in summer. For an autumn trip, you may like areas with lots of broadleaf trees as they turn into pretty yellow and red shades (for example: the Bernese Oberland). More information on the Swiss climate can be found at our climate page and at the Meteoschweiz website.

Lots of information for preparing your trip can be found online. Please refer to the overviews of the Bernese Oberland, Wallis and Graubünden to try to find out which region appeals to you. Each section offers general descriptions, excursion tips and hikes. If you plan on travelling by public transport, you may be interested in using a Swiss rail pass.

Good luck on your further preparations!

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    28 July 2010 at 10:00:28 #831619

Hello maryhforrest,

If you want to visit the Swiss alps, you probably want to use all kinds of transportation in mountain areas.
    I just want to let you know that during the month of October many cable cars, gondolas, funicalars and cogwheel trains, gradually are being closed because of the end of the summer season. There’s some time needed for the necessary maintenance before the start of the winter season. However, this time of the year can be very beautiful indeed.

Hope this helps in the category “any information”.

• The thread ‘I need an advice please’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.