Gondola to Grindelwald First seems very expensive

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 October 2019 at 20:40:09 #824216

Hey everyone, I have an upcoming, impromptu 4 day trip to Interlaken coming up but need some.advice.

I plan to spend a day in Interlaken, Grindelwald and lauterbrunnen but am confused on the pricing of trains/gondolas and whether I need a discount pass for such a short time. I plan to take a gondola up to First but the price seems quite high, 30-60CHF for the gondola, is that correct?

Do most people recommend one way trips up and then hiking back down to save money/enjoy the views more?

Thanks so much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 October 2019 at 0:52:34 #923763

I plan to take a gondola up to First but the price seems quite high, 30-60CHF for the gondola, is that correct?

Switzerland is not cheap I’m afraid!

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 October 2019 at 5:25:24 #923764

Hello Cmanleydesig,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! That’s indeed the standard price: CHF 30 one way, CHF 60 up and down. Most people go up and down because it’s quite a strenuous hike.

With 4 days in the region you may save money with one of the below passes, depending on your plans:

How to pick the best pass is explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

SMAPhx
    Participant
    4 posts
    16 October 2019 at 7:55:05 #923765

That sounds about right. And as mentioned it is a long and hard walk back. We did this last week from the first Gondola stop on our way back, to enjoy the views, it was beautiful. If you’d like to do an adventure activity, I believe you can get a combo ticket for the gondola and an adventure activity combination package for 1, 2 or 3 activities ( which sounded like a good deal). The gentleman at the ticket office didn’t explain this to us, so we just ended up buying the steep round trip tickets. And when we got up, all the activities were booked for the day unless you’d a ticket purchased already. Check this link, hope it helps.

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grindelwaldfirst/fi rst-mountain-cart/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 October 2019 at 12:00:05 #923766

Thank you for the tips!

I think I will book the gondola/activity package which I believe is around 80CHP but it is not clear if the round trip is included in that price?

One last question, when buying train tickets on SBB I can select a discounted rate which states valid point to point, half fare card holders. This is sometimes the only ticket that can be selected, do I need a half fare card for the discounted rate or is it already discounted as I’m buying through the app?

Thanks so much 😊

Annika
    7124 posts
    17 October 2019 at 15:24:58 #923767

Hi Cmanleydesig!

Yes, as far as I can tell unlimited use of the First gondolas is included in the activity packages. Please refer to the link provided by SMAPhx, and click on the “Adventure Package” info block under “Tickets” for further details.

The prices displayed in the SBB timetable are half fare rates, as many Swiss residents use a discount pass. You’d have to own a tourist Swiss Half Fare Card to obtain the same discounted rates: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard. Please read the information at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable under “How to find ticket prices” to find out how to obtain full fares, and check the link provided by Arno to calculate which pass suits your plans best.

• The thread ‘Gondola to Grindelwald First seems very expensive’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.