Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Gondola to Grindelwald First seems very expensive

Gondola to Grindelwald First seems very expensive

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Cmanleydesig
Cmanleydesig
2 posts
Oct 15, 2019 - 8:40 PM

Hey everyone, I have an upcoming, impromptu 4 day trip to Interlaken coming up but need some.advice.

I plan to spend a day in Interlaken, Grindelwald and lauterbrunnen but am confused on the pricing of trains/gondolas and whether I need a discount pass for such a short time. I plan to take a gondola up to First but the price seems quite high, 30-60CHF for the gondola, is that correct?

Do most people recommend one way trips up and then hiking back down to save money/enjoy the views more?

Thanks so much

1960man
1960man
2327 posts
top member
Oct 16, 2019 - 12:52 AM in reply to Cmanleydesig

I plan to take a gondola up to First but the price seems quite high, 30-60CHF for the gondola, is that correct?

Switzerland is not cheap I'm afraid!

Last modified on Oct 16, 2019 - 12:52 AM by 1960man
Arno
Arno
14121 posts
expert &
Oct 16, 2019 - 5:25 AM

Hello Cmanleydesig,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! That's indeed the standard price: CHF 30 one way, CHF 60 up and down. Most people go up and down because it's quite a strenuous hike.

With 4 days in the region you may save money with one of the below passes, depending on your plans:

How to pick the best pass is explained here: www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass

SMAPhx
SMAPhx
4 posts
Oct 16, 2019 - 7:55 AM

That sounds about right. And as mentioned it is a long and hard walk back. We did this last week from the first Gondola stop on our way back, to enjoy the views, it was beautiful. If you’d like to do an adventure activity, I believe you can get a combo ticket for the gondola and an adventure activity combination package for 1, 2 or 3 activities ( which sounded like a good deal). The gentleman at the ticket office didn’t explain this to us, so we just ended up buying the steep round trip tickets. And when we got up, all the activities were booked for the day unless you’d a ticket purchased already. Check this link, hope it helps.

www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/grindelwaldfirst/fi rst-mountain-cart/

Last modified on Oct 16, 2019 - 7:55 AM by SMAPhx
Cmanleydesig
Cmanleydesig
2 posts
Oct 17, 2019 - 12:00 PM

Thank you for the tips!

I think I will book the gondola/activity package which I believe is around 80CHP but it is not clear if the round trip is included in that price?

One last question, when buying train tickets on SBB I can select a discounted rate which states valid point to point, half fare card holders. This is sometimes the only ticket that can be selected, do I need a half fare card for the discounted rate or is it already discounted as I'm buying through the app?

Thanks so much 😊

Annika
Annika
6109 posts
expert &
Oct 17, 2019 - 3:24 PM in reply to Cmanleydesig

Hi Cmanleydesig!

Yes, as far as I can tell unlimited use of the First gondolas is included in the activity packages. Please refer to the link provided by SMAPhx, and click on the "Adventure Package" info block under "Tickets" for further details.

The prices displayed in the SBB timetable are half fare rates, as many Swiss residents use a discount pass. You'd have to own a tourist Swiss Half Fare Card to obtain the same discounted rates: www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard. Please read the information at www.myswissalps.com/ti metable under "How to find ticket prices" to find out how to obtain full fares, and check the link provided by Arno to calculate which pass suits your plans best.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019