Info about Swiss transfer ticket

• kksaero
    Participant
    2 posts
    28 June 2014 at 18:43:18 #806472

Hi,
    I will be flying to Geneva next month and I plan to visit Jungfraujoch through the golden pass line (Geneva – Montreux – Zweisimmen – Interlaken Ost – Jungfraujoch). I will be starting from Geneva in the morning and reach Jungfraujoch by afternoon. I would be returning from Jungfraujoch on the same day starting in the evening to catch my train from Interlaken Ost and reach Geneva by next morning for my flight. I would like to know if I could use Swiss tranfer ticket for this itinerary. I know that Swiss transfer ticket will not be valid from Wengen/Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch but will it be valid for the remaining part of my itinerary?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 June 2014 at 10:23:29 #840343

Hi kksaero,

In this case, the Swiss Transfer Ticket is not the best option for two reasons:

• It only allows traveling via the quickest or shortest route, which does not include the Golden Pass line in your case. See the Swiss Transfer Ticket page for more information;
    • As you said, the last leg of your trip to the Jungfraujoch is not included. Also, you will not get a discount on this pretty expensive additional ticket.

You’re better off getting a Swiss Half Fare Card, which gives you 50% off the entire journey, and allows you to pick any route you want. See here for how it works, prices, etc.

One more thing: you said “starting in the evening to catch my train from Interlaken Ost and reach Geneva by next morning“. Be sure to study the timetable, as there are no overnight trains in Switzerland. You’d better book accommodation along the way. There are affordable ones in Interlaken and Grindelwald, for example.

Also it would be good to have an alternative travel plan, because going up to the Jungfraujoch is only worth the time and money if it isn’t covered in clouds.

kksaero
    Participant
    2 posts
    29 June 2014 at 11:44:35 #840344

Hi Annika,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I will go for the Swiss Half fare card for my journey.

Regarding my return from Interlaken to Geneva, I found from the time table you shared in which it shows a train at 23:00 hrs from Interlaken Ost to Geneva Airport with 2 connections (Berne & Laussanne) in between. I plan to take this train to return to Geneva in time to catch my flight.

Its true that visit to Jungfraujoch is worth the time and money only if the weather is good on that day but considering the limited time I got in my travel, I got to take a bet on the weather 😉

Annika
    7116 posts
    29 June 2014 at 12:16:04 #840345

You’re welcome! There’s indeed a train departing at 23h00, but in facts that’s a really late connection to Lausanne, and from there you will have a really early connection to Geneva. You’ll be stuck in Lausanne in the middle of the night for 2.5 hours. I would not recommend that and book a hostel somewhere.

Anyway, I hope your short trip will be wonderful, and the weather too!

• The thread ‘Info about Swiss transfer ticket’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.