Information required to plan a trip in Switzerland

• Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    20 January 2015 at 6:55:39 #806818

Hello sir, we planned our holiday to switzerland on June 11 till June 23 .This is the itinerary 12 morning zurich airport 13,14 Lucerne. 15 ,16 Interlaken. 17,18,19,20 lauterbrunnen 21,22 Bern. 23 zurich to india Please let me know few things How can i connect to those scenary trains? We have a time once I reach zurich airport on 11th.Is it possible to see Rhine falls and come back and take a train to Lucerne ? Or else any boat ride is available from zurich to Lucerne or any other places? Is it possible to visit pilatus because I have a 4 yr daughter… Waiting for your response Preethi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    20 January 2015 at 8:26:19 #841561

Hi Preethi,

Thanks for your post! The most famous and longer scenic train rides are listed here. The leg Lucerne – Interlaken of the Golden Pass line can be included in your itinerary. Other wonderful train trips that fit your plans are the ones to the Rigi, Jungfraujoch, Brienzer Rothorn and Schynige Platte.

All about the Rhine Falls can be found here. Boat trips are listed here. The Pilatus makes a very nice day trip for children. See here for details please.

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    20 January 2015 at 9:35:12 #841562

Hi Arno ,Thank you very much for your feedback.It will be very useful for me to plan my trip.

Preethi

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    22 January 2015 at 8:20:02 #841563

HI

How can i connect glacier express from Interlaken to st Moritz (round trip)? I am planning for a day trip. Please advise.

Preethi

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 January 2015 at 18:17:22 #841564

Hi Preethi,

The Glacier Express takes a full day and the route is not near Interlaken. You can only realistically do this if you plan to stay the night in St. Moritz. Please see here for all details about the train, and this topic may be of help as well. From Interlaken, the Golden Pass line I referred to before makes more sense.

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    4 February 2015 at 6:05:00 #841565

Hi

What is the right time to book swiss pass tickets ? I am planning to go to swiss in June …. Is it necessary to book the golden pass train now itself or before 90 days?

Preethi

Arno
    15471 posts
    4 February 2015 at 17:01:17 #841566

Hi Preethi,

The Swiss Travel Pass can already be purchased if you like. Right now, the online price (through Rail Europe India in your case) is considerably lower than the price in Switzerland. So it’s not a bad time to buy. Regarding the Golden Pass: you don’t need to book that train. You can simply board with your pass. The only exception are the first class VIP seats in the front of the train between Zweisimmen and Montreux, see here please.

The same goes for other trains: you just need the pass, nothing else. More information can be found on myswissalps.com/train/ reservations.

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    5 February 2015 at 10:45:33 #841567

Thanks for your information. ..

Preethi

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    28 March 2015 at 16:37:50 #841568

Hi

Iam not able to book tickets from Interlaken to montreux on 20th June in goldenpass line train.How do I do this .

Do I need to carry snow shoes for joungfrau region on June ?How will the weather be in June?

Preethi

Annika
    7103 posts
    28 March 2015 at 19:12:53 #841569

Hi Preethi,

The Golden Pass page explains how to book seats: they’re recommended for a few trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux, otherwise they are not necessary. Assuming you will have a Swiss Travel Pass, you don’t need tickets. Just the optional seat reservation is enough. If you go to raileurope.co.in/#tab3 you can book seats for the Zweisimmen to Montreux leg, and purchase the Swiss Travel Pass along with it. Also check the discounts you can get.

The region is free of snow in June, apart from Jungfraujoch and a few other peaks, so no need for snow shoes.

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    18 April 2015 at 15:24:47 #841570

Hi

How should I reach rhine falls from zurich ?

Tell me the simplest route to reach the falls.

Little confusing waiting for ur reply.

Preethi

Annika
    7103 posts
    18 April 2015 at 16:08:05 #841571

Hi Preethi,

Arno gave you a link to the information about the falls in his first reply. If you click to the Route section on that page you’ll find the travel instructions.

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    18 April 2015 at 17:11:48 #841572

Thnx Annika

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    13 May 2015 at 5:53:43 #841573

Hi

Our Air tickets ,hotel rooms and rail passes are booked.Apart from this how many swiss franc should we take along (2 Adults & 4 yr old daughter ) for shopping and food for 12 days?though we have credit card too….

Do we need sweaters in mid June ?

waiting for your reply

Preethi

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 May 2015 at 9:42:31 #841574

Hi Preethi,

How many francs you need varies from person to person. I recommend to take a small amount (like CHF 200) from home, just to have some available right away. Get more cash from the ATMs as you need it, and don’t carry around too much. Credit cards and debit cards are widely accepted.

Sweaters could be needed in June. It’s entirely weather dependent; the weather can change quickly in the mountains. It can be chilly at night, and you’ll also need them in case of colder rainy days, and on peaks.

It sounds like you’re ready for your trip now. Have fun!

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    14 May 2015 at 11:25:00 #841575

Hi

Ya thnx for ur info

Preethi

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    7 June 2015 at 17:53:27 #841576

Hi Arno & Annika,

We will be in Switzerland with our toddler in mid June. Have 2 questions

1. How safe is it to roam around the streets in swiss late at nights? The cities we visit are lucern, interlaken, went en (lauterbrunnen), bern.

2. We would have quite a bit of luggage ti suit a 12 day trip. How easy is it to carry luggage in swiss rail and b uses we take to hotels? Do ppl carry luggage into compartments or is it stowed separately in swiss rail and buses?

Thx for the info.

Annika
    7103 posts
    8 June 2015 at 19:01:27 #841577

Hi Preethi,

1. It is safe. Of course general precautions apply anywhere and anytime, like keeping an eye on your luggage.

2. You either carry luggage yourself or you send it on to your next destination if you prefer light traveling: myswissalps.com/ train/practical/ luggage. Long distance buses have separate compartments for anything else than hand luggage. The driver will help with that.

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    9 June 2015 at 13:36:59 #841578

Hi

Thanks for your response.

How about short distance buses like the one we would take from train stations to hotels?

Do they allow us to board with luggage trollies and get off in 3-4 stops?

Waoting for your reply

Preethi

Arno
    15471 posts
    9 June 2015 at 13:46:22 #841579

Hi Preethi,

City buses usually have luggage space near the central doors. They absolutely allow you on; their purpose is to get passengers and their luggage to their destination. It’s all fine as long as you don’t take along more than you can carry.

Preethi
    Participant
    14 posts
    9 June 2015 at 13:55:16 #841580

Hi Arno & Annika

Thanks for your valuable information .

Preethi

• The thread ‘Information required to plan a trip in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.