Interlaken a good base for Jungfrau Region?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2018 at 22:29:10 #818059

Hello!

I’ve posted earlier about travelling with my mother end of Oct/beginning of November and I’m getting excited as I start to narrow things down. Context: My mom is in her mid 70s. She LOVES nature and scenic things. She LOVES all forms of transport cable cars, trains, gondolas, boats, etc. She is mobile but is not able to do real hiking or long walks. Here is my rough plan:

Sat Oct 27 arrive in Zurich late afternoon and stay with a friend

Sun Oct 28 early train to Lucerne – Mt Rigi day trip. Sleep in Lucerne

Mon Oct 29 Titlus Day trip Sleep in Lucerne

Tuesday Oct 30 Morning Golden Pass to Interlaken – Question #1: Should we stay in Interlaken or think about heading to another place for lodging like Wengen or Grindewald. My mother likes quaint places with old world charm. If interlaken is very busy and super touristy she might be disappointed. But I do realize that Interlaken is a convenient base for touring.

Wednesday Oct 31 Day trip to Jungraujoch (This could be Tuesday or Wednesday depending on weather) Question #2: Apart from Jungraujoch what would be another suggestion to do while we are staying in this area?

Thursday Nov 1 Morning Golden Pass to Montreux – tour Chateau Chillon sleep in Montreux

Friday Nov 2 – Visit vinyards or something else scenic in Montreux or nearby Question #3: Suggestion for last day in Montreux? Or if we take an early train back to Zurich is there another place we should stop to visit? Friday night back at friend’s apartment in Zurich

Saturday Nov 3 – morning flight out of Zurich

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want this to be a trip of a lifetime for my mother!

Thanks,

Lauren

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2018 at 0:26:07 #894918

Hi Lauren-

Hard to say how you could do better. Super planning.

In the Jungfrau region, I’d go for one of the villages.

<<“My mother likes quaint places with old world charm. If interlaken is very busy and super touristy she might be disappointed.”>>

Personally, I prefer Wengen. Grindelwald totally lacks old world charm

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

You don’t plan enough trips to make Interlaken a good idea.

However, you’ve picked a time to travel that is not optimum for the Jungfrau region. If I were doing it, I’d visit the Jungfrau region immediately after arriving in Zuerich, and proceed to Luzern or Montreux next. Totally a function of the seasonal situation in the Jungfrau region.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2018 at 7:17:40 #894919

Hello Slowpoke! Your nickname seems unfitting as you were so quick to reply!

I had planned Lucerne first simply because it seems to come first geographically on the route to Montreux. The Jungfrau day trips seem to always start from Interlaken.

So you’re suggesting we go from Zurich immediately to Jungfrau (possibly stay in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen or Murren) and do the daytrip to Jungfraujoch first? And then head back to Lucerne to do the Rigi and Titlis trips? And then head down to Montreux? It seems like doubling back. Doesn’t the Golden Pass start in Interlacken anyway? I do realize that it is not the optimum time to visit (I can’t change, I am a teacher and these are school holidays) but would a couple of days make a big difference? What else do you suggest beside day trip to Jungfraujoch while in the Jungfrau region. (That was Question #2 above),

By the way…do you recommend staying right in Lucerne or is that also lacking old world charm?

And Question #3 above – stay and do something else in Montreux on last day or make our way back to Zurich stopping in some charming place along the way?

Thank you so much for your help. This site is AMAZING.

Lauren

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2018 at 8:17:49 #894920

HI Lauren-

I’ll try to answer as well as I can. If I miss the point, ask again.

Don’t walk behind me when I climb a hill on a path that the Swiss consider to be level… but, that I don’t. 😉

<<“I had planned Lucerne first simply because it seems to come first geographically on the route to Montreux. “>>

That is correct and what I meant about good planning.

<“The Jungfrau day trips seem to always start from Interlaken.”>>

The Jungfrau day trips start from Kleine Scheidegg, where the branch rail line goes up to Jungfraujoch.

This map, which I have zoomed in to show the rail lines will help. Zoom it back out to see Interlaken: map.search.ch/?pos=642057,158544&z=32

Zoom it back out to see Interlaken: map.search.ch/?pos=645908,164064&z=16

To get to Kleine Scheidegg, you can stay in most any town or village on the rail lines. Please read the document in the link I gave above.

Also, these links to better understand the choice of towns:http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

Especially- http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

Also: http://www.myswissalps.com/wh eretogo/towns

<<“So you’re suggesting we go from Zurich immediately to Jungfrau (possibly stay in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen or Murren) and do the daytrip to Jungfraujoch first?”>>

Yes.

<<“And then head back to Lucerne to do the Rigi and Titlis trips?”>>

No

<“”And then head down to Montreux?”>>

No.

<<“It seems like doubling back. Doesn’t the Golden Pass start in Interlacken anyway? “>>

Yes.

If I were doing it I’d go to the Jungfrau region first, staying in Wengen, with Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen a second choice. Each has pluses and minuses. One month earlier, I ‘d use your routing.. In late December, I’d use your routing.

Then, Golden Pass Route to Montreux, then Luzern via the faster route through Bern, then back to Zürich.

<<“http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion">>

<<“I do realize that it is not the optimum time to visit (I can’t change, I am a teacher and these are school holidays) but would a couple of days make a big difference? “>>

Yes.In fact, you may be too late even in October.

The issue is exactly what you want to do. The trains to Jungfraujoch run all year. A few hotels remain open. Cableways and many tourist facilities are very seasonal. Many cableways shut down on a synchronized date of approximately October 22nd ( exact date depends on the year, this year the last services generally are October 21st, with reopening maybe on weekends in late November if there is snow….) .They reopen full time near Christmas time.

Example:

http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ summer-timetable.html

http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ winter-timetable.html

After or during September in the mountain villages, facilities start to gradually shut down , and the process accelerates throughout October, and become nearly complete in late October and early November.. No hiking- too cold and maybe some snow on the upper trails. No skiing. Not a lot of customers. November is when businesses take a break, and hotels may close for maintenance.

None of this is absolute. And, you will find some places open. Just not a lot.For example, check with Wengen tourist office, etc.

http://www.wengen.com/

http://www.maddogski.com/dire ctory-listing/wengen-tourist-office/

<<“What else do you suggest beside day trip to Jungfraujoch while in the Jungfrau region. (That was Question #2 above),”>>

At any other time of year, Kim’s report in the link I gave earlier would answer that.

It is much harder to answer for your dates. The links to the Jungfrau region given above will help. Just remember, it is all seasonal.

In fact, the least seasonal place in the area is Interlaken, which is also the least interesting place for scenery and the Alpine experience.

<<“By the way…do you recommend staying right in Lucerne or is that also lacking old world charm?”>>

I do. I do it all the time…in the old town.

See this link:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Also, a lakeboat ride is nice, particularly from Flüelen north as far as Brunnen.

There is a limited schdule after late October.

Scroll down in this link for information in addition to seasonal timetables:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Make sure that you get the right season.

<<“And Question #3 above – stay and do something else in Montreux on last day or make our way back to Zurich stopping in some charming place along the way?”>>

I think the train up to Rochers de Naye is gfantastic. You can go partway to Caux, and still get some nice views.

There are lots of charming places along the way. Montreux may well be the warmest .

http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

Places along the route can include Fribourg ( old town) ,Bern, and Luzern.

<<“Thank you so much for your help.”>>

You’re welcome. Pleased to help.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2018 at 17:43:17 #894921

Thank you again! You’ve given me a lot to consider. I’d really like to stay in Wengen but I’m finding it difficult to find available accommodations. Either they are booked or perhaps as you suggested, they are closed for renovations.

Regarding the trip to Mount Rigi, I found this on the My Swiss Alps website:

Dates of operation

The trains operate all year round. The cable car from Weggis to Rigi Kaltbad does not operate 5 to 16 November 2018, 25 March to 18 April 2019 and 4 to 15 November 2019. Please check again later for further dates.

Tip: check the timetable before you start your trip.

So it seems it should be open. I think it will particularly appeal to my mom because it involves a train AND a cable car and I think a boat from Luzern to Weggis, is that correct? So, in your opinion where is the best place to lodge if we want to do the Rigi trip?

Best,

Lauren

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2018 at 18:01:15 #894922

Hi Lauren –

Regarding stays in Wengen, use the links I provided to the tourist office.

Regarding the Rigi, there is a 15 minute fairly steep but easy paved walk between the ship landing and the valley station (Talstation) of the cableway.

Probably better to walk it downhill.

One option is to stay in Luzern, take the boat to Vitznau, the cograil train to Rigi Kulm ( the top), ride the train back down to Rigi Kaltbad ( although I always walk it in the summer) and take the cableway from Rigi Kaltbad down to Weggis.

From the valley station, walk 15 minutes downhill to the ship landing, and take the boat back to Luzern. That same boat stops at Vitznau on its way to Luzern via Weggis, so you can also ride the train back down to Vitznau if you don’t want to walk at Weggis.

Or, for more trains, ride down from the Rigi on the other, less scenic side, to Arth-Goldau and catch a regular train to Luzern.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2018 at 18:56:27 #894923

Thank you! You are incredibly helpful!

Lauren

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2018 at 19:24:22 #894924

Hi Slowpoke,

I just checked the Jungfraujoch link on MySwissAlps and it specificallly says “the trains operate all year round.” Does this excursion to Jungfraujoch include things other than trains”?

I went onto the Wengen tourist link and they also say no availability. I did find an availability in Lauterbrunnen. Hotel Staubbach?

Lauren

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2018 at 20:57:18 #894925

<<“The trains to Jungfraujoch run all year. “>>

That is what I said before. To Jungfraujoch, trains all the way.

Don’t know the Hotel Staubbach. It gets great reviews.

Lauterbrunnen is better than Interlakebn for scenery.

If it has star rating…2 or 3 stars, it is definitely clean and OK.

Check to make sure they have private toilet facilities. Older hotels often have shared facilities.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2018 at 21:20:05 #894926

Good tip about the toilets!

Well, as long as it’s confirmed that jungfraujoch trains are running all year it seems like I could stick to the original route? I guess I’m not clear as to why you think we should head right there instead of stopping at Luzern first for the Rigi trip.

Do you have a particular hotel in old town Luzern that you love?

Lauren

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2018 at 21:45:40 #894927

<<“Well, as long as it’s confirmed that jungfraujoch trains are running all

year it seems like I could stick to the original route? I guess I’m not

clear as to why you think we should head right there instead of

stopping at Luzern first for the Rigi trip.”>>

<<“”Well, as long as it’s confirmed that jungfraujoch trains are running all

year it seems like I could stick to the original route?”>>

Sure.

<<“I guess I’m not

clear as to why you think we should head right there instead of

stopping at Luzern first for the Rigi trip.”>>”>>

Because the cableways ( which your mother likes) are mostly shut down. Going uo to Männlichen is really nice. Not after 21 October. Because the choice of restaurants is limited. Most shops are closed. Because you asked what else you could do…and the season limits that.

You can possibly go up to Schilthorn, but they do shut down at about that time….actually, on the 12th of November:

schilthorn.ch/en/Infos /Timetable__and__Tarif f

From the beginning, I’m pretty sure that I acknowledged that the Jungfraujoch was accessible. If I did not, I’m sorry that I mislead you. There is a lot more to the region than the Jungfrau train.

I worried about finding a hotel………;-).

Slowpoke

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    25 August 2018 at 21:46:56 #894928

Just a couple of things to add to Slowpoke’s incredibly detailed responses (as usual, thank you!):

1. It will be very quiet in Lauterbrunnen and the mountain villages while you are there. I’m somewhat surprised Hotel Staubbach remains open then. Many/most of the restaurants will be closed. You may want to look to Grindelwald. I, too, prefer the mountain villages when they are “in operation” but the views from Grindelwald are also very nice. And late Oct/early Nov there will not be the hordes of traffic and tourists that are there during high season. I, too, am in the ABI (Anywhere But Interlaken) club.

2. Here’s a quick summary of operating dates for transport around the Jungfrau region. As you will see, some of the popular mountain transports close down in mid-October. The latest closure date is the First gondola and Schynige Platte Bahn running through 28 October (weather permitting). Trains run to Jungfraujoch year round. You can get to Wengen and Mürren year round. Schilthorn gondola will be operating during your visit.

Bernese Oberland Mountain Transport 2018 Operating Dates

Please note that all scheduled operating dates are weather-dependent. Following are the most popular transports in the region; for a more complete list see http://www.regionalpass-berneroberland.ch/en/p ass-and-infos/operating-times/

Wengernalpbahn (Lauterbrunnen to/from Kleine Scheidegg via Wengen) runs year round.

Jungfrau Railway (between Kleine Scheidegg and Jungfraujoch) operates year round.

SchynigePlatte Bahn (Wilderswil to Schynige Platte): operations resume 26 May 2018 and run until 28 October 2018 (note: the Schynige Platte to First hike is often closed until mid-June or early July due to snow)

Lauterbrunnen to Mürren via Grütschalp train: operates year round except 30 April to 4 May 2018 and 22 October to 9 November 2018. During these dates public transport to Mürren is available via the Schilthorn gondola only.

Schilthorn gondola (Stechelberg to Schilthorn via Gimmelwald and Mürren): operates year round except 23 April to 27 April 2018 and 11 November to 6 December 2018.

Männlichen gondola (from Wengen and from Grindelwald Grund)

Summer operations Wengen to/from Männlichen 1 June to 21 October 2018. The lifts Grindelwald Grund to/from Männlichen operates 26 May to 21 October 2018. If weather is good the Grindelwald Grund lifts may operate Pentecostal Weekend 19 – 21 May 2018. See http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/ summer-timetable.html for operating hours.

(Note: the Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk is usually closed until mid-June due to snow)

Allmendhubel cog train (Mürren to/from Allmendhubel): operates year round except 9 April until 14 June 2018 and 15 October until 14 December 2018; 8 April to 14 June 2019, 14 October to 13 December 2019. See schilthorn.ch/en/Infos /Timetable__and__Tarif f for operating hours.

First gondola (Grindelwald to First via Bort): Re-opens 3 April until 28 October 2018. The gondola operates on a reduced schedule at beginning and end of seasons. For more information see http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/operating-info/ (Note: the First to Bachalpsee walk, accessible during summer season, is typically closed until mid-June due to snow)

Harderkulm: operates 14 April 2018 until 25 November 2018

And for those of you venturing at outing to Oechinensee lake above Kandersteg, the cable car operates from 10 May 2018 to 21 October 2018

Trümmelbach Falls typically opens from early April until November.

Lake cruises:

Lake Thun and Brienz cruises operate from April through mid to late October. Lake Brienz cruises have a limited schedule in spring and fall. To check operating dates and times use the route planner at fahrplan.bls.ch/index. html?travelMode=ship. The site is in German only but easy enough to navigate. For point of departure enter either Interlaken Ost (Lake Brienz) or Interlaken West (Lake Thun). For destination enter Brienz or Thun, respectively. Enter your date and desired time then available cruises will be displayed. You will also see a graphic that indicates stops in between but no information about arrival time is available. The ships are in dock for 5 minutes at most before continuing on to the next port.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2018 at 21:50:59 #894929

Thanks Kim.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2018 at 21:56:55 #894930

Wow, thank you, Slowpoke and Kim! That is a lot of information to sift through. Much appreciated! It’s a bit of bad luck that that week is the only week we can come, but I’m sure between stays in 1) Lucerne, 2) Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen and 3) Montreux there should be plenty of beautiful things to see, don’t you think? Fingers crossed we can get in some cable car somewhere!

Once again, I am so impressed with this site. Your time and effort is much appreciated.

Lauren

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 August 2018 at 23:11:49 #894931

Kim’s suggestion about Grindelwald deserves serious consideration. Less charm, equal access to Jungfrau, maybe more places open.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2018 at 5:53:18 #894932

Hi Lauren,

You’ll be able to find open mountains in late October for sure – they don’t all close up.

We list most of the main/large mountains in Switzerland here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities/naturalsites and for each mountain’s web page click on the route tab to see a note on opening/closing dates.

IE Schilthorn: http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 August 2018 at 6:24:21 #894933

Thank you, Lucas! I’ve been sifting through that site and making tons of notes. I’m still hopeful!

Lauren

• The thread ‘Interlaken a good base for Jungfrau Region?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.