About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Interlaken area and type of passes
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Interlaken area and type of passes

Print this page
Posts: 2 
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
1 post
new member
Jul 20, 2012 - 8:53 AM
Hello all!
We are 3 adults and 2 small children planning a holiday in the Interlaken area middle of August for a week. I am confused whether I ought to buy the Swiss Half Card or go in for a Regional card. We will have a car so would not travel much by train. We are keen on visiting Jungfraujoch, Lucerene, Thun, Berne, some small villages in the area. Thanks for any suggestions.
7346 posts
expert &
Jul 21, 2012 - 10:53 AM

Hello Vibha! That's a bit hard to say, as the price difference between both options can be quite small. The only way to find out is to make calculations based on (estimated) list of travel plans. You could consider that the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid throughout the country. That's convenient if you expect to make trips outside of the Bernese Oberland (Lucerne is an example), or if you want to have this freedom if weather in the Bernese Oberland happens to be bad. On the other hand, the Regional-Pass offers a number of days with free traveling. If you plan to use cable cars and mountain railways quite intensively on some days, the Regional-Pass allows you to do so (with some limitations of course).

Note that children travel along for free on a Swiss Half Fare Card (with a free STS Family Card), but not on a Regional-Pass. You have to buy them a Junior Travelcard (CHF 30,00 per child) in that case.

I know this isn't a decisive answer, but I do hope it helps you out.

Last modified on Jan 27, 2020 - 11:19 AM by Arno


All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.



Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2023