Interlaken area and type of passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2012 at 6:53:56 #805456

Hello all!
    We are 3 adults and 2 small children planning a holiday in the Interlaken area middle of August for a week. I am confused whether I ought to buy the Swiss Half Card or go in for a Regional card. We will have a car so would not travel much by train. We are keen on visiting Jungfraujoch, Lucerene, Thun, Berne, some small villages in the area. Thanks for any suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 July 2012 at 10:53:21 #836676

Hello Vibha! That’s a bit hard to say, as the price difference between both options can be quite small. The only way to find out is to make calculations based on (estimated) list of travel plans. You could consider that the Swiss Half Fare Card is valid throughout the country. That’s convenient if you expect to make trips outside of the Bernese Oberland (Lucerne is an example), or if you want to have this freedom if weather in the Bernese Oberland happens to be bad. On the other hand, the Regional-Pass offers a number of days with free traveling. If you plan to use cable cars and mountain railways quite intensively on some days, the Regional-Pass allows you to do so (with some limitations of course).

Note that children travel along for free on a Swiss Half Fare Card (with a free STS Family Card), but not on a Regional-Pass. You have to buy them a Junior Travelcard (CHF 30,00 per child) in that case.

I know this isn’t a decisive answer, but I do hope it helps you out.

• The thread ‘Interlaken area and type of passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.