Interlaken/Jungfraujoch/Lucerne – best rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 16:13:24 #812196

Hello Guys,

We are a family of 6 (4 adults, 2 children under 15) and we will be in Interlaken for 2 days and Lucerne for 1 day later this month. While at Interlaken, we will be going to Jungfraujoch on one day and may keep it free and easy the other. While in Lucerne, we will be doing a lake cruise. My questions are:

1. Am I correct in understanding that Jungfraujoch pass or Bernese Oberland pass will not entitle us for a free train ride from Interlaken to Lucerne and will also not be applicable for lake cruise in Lucerne?

2. Considering that at this point, we only have three things that we are sure we will do (jungfraujoch, lake cruise in Lucerne and train ride from Interlaken to Lucerne), what is the best pass for us? Or is it better to take individual tickets?

3. Would your answer to #2 change if we were to add a trip from Interlaken to Grindelwald on the second day we are in Interlaken? Our plan A is to visit Grinderlwald on Day 1 on our way back from Jungfraujoch but just in case that doesn’t work, we may do it on Day 2 (not so important).

Thanks in advance!

A

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 16:42:05 #864828

Hi Achawla,

I would look at the Swiss Travel Pass for ease of use on your trip (and to use it before and after Interlaken and Lucerne, where ever that may be). It typically covers all routes in Switzerland.

You can see what the Jungfrau Travel Pass covers here and the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland here. Click on the ‘where it’s valid’ tab.

To be sure if a rail pass is better than point to point tickets you can do the math on our “how to choose the best rail pass” here.

In the end, a rail pass is much more convenient and gives you the ability to change your plans and be more flexible (as well as no need to buy tickets, just hop on trains and go).

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 17:03:00 #864829

Thanks Lucas. As a matter of fact, I was looking at Swiss Travel Pass just before I received your response 🙂 Did I read it correctly that with Swiss Travel Pass, I’ll have to purchase Wengen to Jungfraujoch ticket separately and that comes only at 25% discount? I read that this particular return ticket is about CHF 175.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2017 at 0:44:50 #864830

>> Did I read it correctly that with Swiss Travel Pass, I’ll have to purchase Wengen to Jungfraujoch ticket separately and that comes only at 25% discount? I read that this particular return ticket is about CHF 175.

Yes, that’s correct. The full return fare between Wengen and the Jungfraujoch is CHF 176. If you wanted to go up via Wengen and down via Grindelwald (or vice versa) it would be CHF 183. I would recommend doing that, as the scenery is very different on each route.

A Swiss Travel Pass will get you a 25% discount on those fares. It’s probably the most expensive excursion in Switzerland, but in my opinion it is absolutely worth it!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Interlaken/Jungfraujoch/Lucerne – best rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.