7 days Interlaken, is it worth getting a pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 February 2016 at 19:18:03 #808472

My husband and I are planning to travel to Interlaken in late May. We will be flying in to Zurich and would like to take the train to Interlaken. I’ve listed our tentative itinerary below. Any suggestions and or help with the train transportation would be greatly helpful. Thank you!

• Day 1: Zurich Airport to Interlaken
    • Day 2: Interlaken
    • Day 3: Funky Chocolate Club/Hang Gliding
    • Day 4: Jungfraujoch OR Schilthorn
    • Day 5: Cruise on the lake/Castle Tour
    • Day 6: Bike Tour
    • Day 7: Interlaken back to Zurich Airport
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    24 February 2016 at 6:12:26 #848647

Hello megtastic13, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Cost wise, I would say that a Swiss Half Fare Card is the best option. Alternatively, you can consider the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. You can print the Swiss Half Fare Card at home by selecting “Online Ticket” while ordering from http://www.swissrailways.com/ en.

Regarding day 2: Interlaken itself is not in the mountains and there’s not much to see (no museums or picturesque streets). So you may want to plan for something else that day.

I hope this was useful!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2016 at 13:33:45 #848648

Wow thank you for this great info! I will definitely look into this more. It’s great that we can print before we leave – one less thing to think about once we arrive. What would you suggest as some other activities that we could replace a day in Interlaken with? A good mountain town maybe?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2016 at 19:21:13 #848649

Also would we each need one, or is this good for both of us?

Arno
    15483 posts
    25 February 2016 at 8:03:43 #848650

Hi megtastic13,

You’re welcome! The Interlaken page I linked to provides lots of suggestions. Looking at your plans I would suggest one of the hikes as that’s one of the best ways to enjoy the scenery. By the end of May trails below 2500 m should be accessible (clear of snow), but you can always ask the tourist agency to be sure.

You each need a Swiss Half Fare Card. Please see http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. They ask for the number of travelers; it’s pretty straightforward.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2016 at 14:15:09 #848651

Hello – if you should fly by SWISS intl. airways, you are allowed to check in your baggage in New York (or other airports with SWISS flights) and say them, your train destination is Interlaken. The SWISS will arrange than, that your baggage goes directly from the plane to the train (in Zurich airport). You pick it up again, when you arrive at the train station in Interlaken. It is very comfortable, because the way from the airport to the undergound railstation is very long (about 1 km). You must pay for this service CHF (swiss francs) 20.–. It is worth to do it like that, especially than, if you should change the train(s) in Zurich and/or Luzern ans/or Bern. I wish you a pleasant stay in Switzerland!

GlobiTrotti

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2016 at 14:41:09 #848652

In Interlaken I also can recommend you a boat trip on the lake of Thun or lake of Brienz. You will have wonderful sights around the lake and mountains.

http://www.interlaken.ch/en/e nterprise-offices-tourist-information/trade-corner/plans-and-maps/interlaken-maps/cruises-lake-thun-and-lake-brienz.html

Interlaken = Between Lakes

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2016 at 16:51:22 #848653

Thank you this information is fantastic! We will definitely have to keep the luggage transport in mind – sounds like a very nice option. We are planning to take a boat cruise one of the days. The logistics are really where I’m struggling to find exactly how to get here and there. All of you have been a huge help in this process. Thanks again!!

Arno
    15483 posts
    26 February 2016 at 8:29:40 #848654

Did you check the timetable? It shows the details of any trip within Switzerland.

Just let us know if you have more questions.

• The thread ‘7 days Interlaken, is it worth getting a pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.