Is Schynige Platte free with Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2018 at 19:17:42 #818459

Hi all,

I thought of making use of few sunny hours tomorrow to Schynige Platte from Grindelwald with a Swiss Travel Pass (hardcopy of validity area map shows inclusive). Link below states 50% discount.

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hynigeplatte/tickets

Can advise me if any of you had been there with STP?

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    20 September 2018 at 19:25:56 #896614

Hi May,

The page is correct, it is discounted. You probably have an old map. The latest version can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2018 at 19:48:44 #896615

Arno, much thanks for your quick reply. My hardcopy is “Swiss Travel System Map 2018”.

I have just sent an email to check, though unlikely to receive a reply by tomorrow morning.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2018 at 5:58:42 #896616

Hi May,

Quickest way to find out is to go to your local train station and ask to buy a ticket. They will inform you the costs. It should indeed by 50% off and not free.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2018 at 13:26:26 #896617

Thanks Lucas. I decided to re-visit Schilthorn again in the morning to do trill walk at Birg. I went up Schilthorn the day before in late afternoon after arriving Grindelwald Grund from Luzern.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    25 September 2018 at 1:03:46 #896618

Hi May,

I just spent 3 nights in Wengen. I took the cable car up to Manlichen, which is free, with Swiss Travel Pass, and then hiked down to Kleine Schiedegg. But I had to pay, I believe it was 18 Francs to take train back to Wengen. I was a bit surprised about that, but it was worth it after the hike. The hike was spectacular, considering the top of the Eiger was behind clouds, but the whole of the mountain was in front of me the whole time. Simply stunning. I believe the gondola’s are free from Grindalwald Grund to Manlichen also. Perhaps Arno or Lucas can chime in on that. If you want to take a train to Lauterbrunnenm, then the train to Wengen, then take the ride up to Manlichen, that is free also with STP. It is a bit circuitous, but worth it since the scenery on the train to Wengen is just stunning, and very well worth it. Either way one does it, it is just beautiful. Hope you enjoy your stay as I did mine. Unfortunately I did not get to Grindalwald because it was to cloudy to visit the whole time I was there.

Danielsan

Arno
    15481 posts
    25 September 2018 at 4:09:48 #896619

Hi Danielsan,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the hike! You’re lucky that you didn’t have to pay for the cable car to Männlichen. It is 50% discounted with the Swiss Travel Pass, just like the train back down to Wengen. The link in my previous post allows you to download the coverage map.

• The thread ‘Is Schynige Platte free with Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.