Itinerary: 3 days Lake Como & 7 days Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2017 at 5:04:22 #813723

Greetings! Been following this site for some time now and gained lots of useful info that spurred me on to visit beautiful Switzerland for my upcoming honeymoon. So I thought this is the perfect place to fine tune my itinerary and get some cost saving tips! :)Travel date: 12th March to 22nd March 2018.

Day 1-3: We land in Zurich in the early morning, have a car booked for our drive to Cernobbio near Lake Como. Will spend two nights there. Nothing planned except we do know that we’d like to see Bellagio.

Day 3: Drive back to Switzerland. Return the car in Interlaken as we’ve made accomodations there for 5 nights. Thinking of purchasing the Swiss travel pass for 8 days. Need to work out the trains etc we’ll be taking; Depending on whether it would be cost saving as compared to buying individual tickets or half fare card etc.

Day 4-7: Thinking of exploring the area and open to make day trips anywhere.

Day 8-10: Head over to our next accomodation in Luzern for the last 3 nights. Again, we’re looking for day trips/ attractions that we can do.

Day 11: Morning flight out from Zurich. 🙁

On top of seeing the Matterhorn, we’re open to any other beautiful sights and experiences. If time permits, paragliding or any other adventurous activities.

Thank you in advance! Cheers 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2017 at 7:55:07 #872294

Hi Swissthings and welcome to MySwissAlps!
    I moved your post to another forum – the trip reports forum are for talking about your trip after you have completed them.

I’m not sure how many of the following links you’ve look at already but I’ll post them just in case.

You don’t mention what you are coming to Switzerland for. To ski? Relax in towns/enjoy spas, hike up in the mountains (though this isn’t really possible due to snow) or just adventurous activities like Paragliding? 🙂

Day 1-3: I’m not sure the rental car is worth it for the drive down to Cernobbio and back to Interlaken – have you looked into the train here instead?

Day 3: To find the best rail pass for your trip have a look at our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. It has a spreadsheet to help you do the math on regular prices for trips and compare to costs with different rail passes. For more details on the Swiss Travel Pass click here and the Swiss Half Fare Card click here.

Day 4-7: Click here to read more about the Jungfrau region and what to do there. It is still ski season in the mountains so most activities will be open (and busy). I’m not sure if you are planning to ski?

Day 8-10: For activities in the Luzern area click here.

The Matterhorn is in Zermatt and would be about a 2.5 hour train trip from Interlaken. Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan out your trips.

For cost saving tips click here. I hope that helps with your itinerary – If you have specific questions on any activities or areas let us know

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    25 November 2017 at 1:46:40 #872295

Hello Swissthings,

Have you read http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain especially as you will be driving late winter and mountain roads may still be snow-bound.

You could train from Zurich to Como St Giovanni (1 stop over the Swiss border) and rent a car from there if you are keen on driving around the Como area.

On the way back you could go via Milan and Domodossola by train to Zermatt (to see the Matterhorn). Then on to Interlaken and then to Lucerne. Nice round trip instead of backtracking.

Or perhaps your hotel bookings are already locked in?

• The thread ‘Itinerary: 3 days Lake Como & 7 days Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.