Itinerary advice 5 days Lucerne, Wengen & Albeuve

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2016 at 15:29:15 #808553

Hi,

I need some advice on my Switzerland trip.

May last week, Day 1 &2: Lucerne

I land in Zurich at 8:35 am and after the customs & immigration process, we are leaving to Luzern and plan to put the luggage in the locker in Luzern and visit Mt.Pilatus. Do trips to Mt Pilatus run all day or is there a time by which I need to be in Lucerne to make this trip.

would I be able to tour Mt. Titlis on Day 2?

Day 3 & 4:

staying in wengen to see jungfraujoch. I would like to know some touring options for the second day

Day 5:

Golden pass to montreux

and then a point to point to Albeuve

for 2 days and then visit Berne before flying out.

what rail pass would be best for this trip?

Regards,

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    6 March 2016 at 19:09:24 #849105

Hi rvijayar, welcome to MySwissAlps.

Most of your plans look fine to me! I do wonder about Albeuve: it’s about an hour by local trains from Montreux and not located centrally. You may have specific plans for this village and its surroundings. And it’s a beautiful area, that’s for sure. But if you’re just looking for a base town to discover a larger area, including Lake Geneva, Montreux might be better instead.

Sure, you’d make it to Titlis on day 2. Details about the trip are at our Titlis page. It’s always wise to make some back-up plans in case weather isn’t good enough to visit mountain tops; please refer to our Lucerne page for ideas. Tips for further day trips in while you’re in Wengen are in our Bernese Oberland section; there’s plenty to choose from!

Which rail pass is best, depends on quite some details and on personal preferences. For instance, is ticketless traveling for regular trains/bus/boats important to you? What exact plans do you have for your days in Albeuve? If you want to make sure, you’d best make calculations as explained at our "How to choose" page. I’d advise to compare the Swiss Half Fare Card with an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass, but I must say that’s based on the assumption your stay lasts 7 days (you mention 5 in your title, but that doesn’t seem to match your itinerary description).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 March 2016 at 20:25:36 #849106

Thanks Annika!

We wanted to do the chocolate train from Montreux. I later found out that this train service is available only on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday in June and since we are not in Montreux during those days, I decided to make Albeuve the base for Gruyere cheese factory and the Nestle chocolate factory visit and also get a feel for the village life in that area. you are right , it is a 7 day tour. 7th day we will be leaving early for Berne to see the old town and Einsteinhaus..and from there to Zurich to head back home.

Only concern is Day 1, I land in Zurich at 8:35 am and after the customs,immigration by the time I reach Luzern it might be 12 pm. Would I be able to tour Mt. Pilatus of day 1 starting from Luzern train station? Is there a time when the last cable car operates from Mt.Pilatus. All other tour operators like viator seem to start at 9:30 am which is quite early for us.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 March 2016 at 0:14:54 #849107

<<and Einsteinhaus”>>

Good for you!

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 March 2016 at 0:28:46 #849108

<<“Only concern is Day 1, I land in Zurich at 8:35 am and after the customs,immigration by the time I reach Luzern it might be 12 pm.”>>

You have clearly studied the process of getting into Switzerland. The Zürich airport is fairly fast… not quite up to Singapore standards, but close.

Are you coming from a Schengen Country, or will you have to go through passport contreol…normally not much of an issue, but it can take a few minutes.

With luck you could be on the 0917, surely the 1018, which gets you to Luzern at 1125.

You do not have to take a tour to go ujp onto Pilatus. Use the timetable for your exact dates and study the options. You should have no trouble getting up onto Pilatus.

The last trip up leaves Luzern at 1642, and there are frequent options before then. Check the timetable.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 March 2016 at 0:43:13 #849109

Thanks Slowpoke, we will be coming from the United States. Thanks for the information, This site has been extremely useful in planning our trip.

• The thread ‘Itinerary advice 5 days Lucerne, Wengen & Albeuve’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.