Itinerary for a week in June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2011 at 20:03:27 #804757

Hello – My family and I will be visiting Switzerland this coming June. Below is our proposed itinerary and I have just a few questions. We didn’t want to try to cover too much ground during this trip, so we plan to limit ourselves to two base hotels – one in the Bernese Oberland and one in Zurich (we chose Zurich both for practical reasons and because we wanted to spend a little time in the city as well as in the mountains).

Day 1: Arrive Zurich early morning; head to hotel #1 in the Bernese Oberland. We are considering staying in either Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen. Would you recommend one over the other with a school-age child and for ease of getting around?

Day 2: Jungfrau region. During our time in the region, as weather permits, we’d like to do the Jungfraujoch excursion, Ballenberg open-air museum, Children’s Adventure Trail and hiking in Murren, boating on Lakes Thun and Brienz and maybe seeing the castles, and possibly a day trip to Bern. Is there anything else we should be sure not to miss?

Day 3: Jungfrau region

Day 4: Jungfrau region

Day 5: Jungfrau region; head to hotel #2 in Zurich in late afternoon

Day 6: Day trip from Zurich to Luzern. We will definitely see the Museum of Transport; what other kid-friendly activities should we consider?

Day 7: Zurich (Zoo Zurich; Kunsthaus)

Day 8: Open day – possible day trip to Stein Am Rhein, Rapperswil or another nearby town

Day 9: Depart Zurich early morning

As far as transportation – I’ve looked into the Swiss Pass and some of the regional passes that are available, but am having trouble calculating which would be the best deal for us. Any advice in that regard would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    30 October 2011 at 11:42:25 #834407

Hi 3travelers, and welcome to the forum! You managed to create a nice and diverse itinerary. I think it’s wise to limit yourself to two base towns. Both the Jungfrau region and Zurich have enough to offer to enjoy yourselves for a couple of days (and a lot longer :-)).

As for your questions: the choice between Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken is a very personal one. Pros and cons of both towns have been discussed in this forum topic, and that may help you decide.

You’ve selected great day trips for your stay in the Jungfrau region. It’s hard to say what not to miss, as there’s so much to see and do. If weather is fine, I’d personally prefer a visit to a viewing point such as Schynige Platte, Brienzer Rothorn or Männlichen over the open air museum or castles. But again, that’s personal, and the museum and castles can be great for kids.

While in Lucerne, consider a boat ride over the lake, the famous Kappel bridge near the railway station and the town centre itself. If weather isn’t that good, the glacier garden would be nice, although part of it is an indoor museum as well.

Since you’ll be making rather short and regional trips mainly, the Swiss Half Fare Card may be the most economical solution. The Swiss Pass would be best if you like the idea of unlimited traveling and being able to go wherever you like. The Swiss Flexi Pass is kind of a combination between the Swiss Half Fare Card and the Swiss Pass: offering free travel on some days, and reduction on the other days. Our FAQ indicate how to make your calculations.

I hope this gets you started! Best regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 October 2011 at 12:27:50 #834408

Thanks so much for your advice! This is very helpful.

• The thread ‘Itinerary for a week in June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.