3/4 nights Lucerne: Tell-Pass or Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2018 at 15:05:45 #813915

Hello, need a bit of a help.

We’re a family of 7 people and plan to travel to Switzerland this June 2018.

The plan is to stay 2 nights in Paris and then take a train from Paris to Lucerne.

Planning to stay 3/4 nights in Lucerne hence making Lucerne as our base as it will be difficult for a family of 7 to keep on check-in different hotels.

The question is, from Paris to Lucerne, there will be a change in Basel, so I’m not sure how to buy the tickets.

1)I’m still not sure whether to get Tell-Pass or Swiss Travel Pass. Do you recommend us to buy Tell-Pass and make the most of our stay in Lucerne, since that is our base? or do you think we should buy Swiss Travel Pass and go on train journeys and come back to lucern?

2) We have made Lucerne as our base, is it recommended to take the Glacier Express and such? or will it just be a waste of time? because we have to come back to Lucerne?

3) Should I buy tickets from the SBB website Paris to Lucern or separately as in Paris to Basel, and then Basel to Lucern? Which website?

Will really appreciate if some people can help me plan on this, thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2018 at 19:38:14 #873448

Hi ameera20, and welcome to My Swiss Alps,

1. I believe you should purchase the pass that fits your needs instead of creating an itinerary that suits your railway pass. If your looking for the most economical pass, you’ll have to do the math to compare prices. We have information on our website that can help you:
    2. Lucerne is not an ideal base to experience the Glacier Express unless you want to spend at least 7 hours in a train. The Glacier Express is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass. To read more about how to enjoy a part of the Glacier Express from Lucerne, visit “Don't have time to do the full route?”
    3. If you decide to purchase the Swiss Travel Pass, you’ll have to buy a ticket to Basel as the Swiss Travel Pass will cover Basel to Lucerne. If not, you’ll have to buy a ticket from Paris to Lucerne.

The Tell-Pass can be purchased here. If you still have doubts or questions, just let us know. Not sure which activities to do in Lucerne, check out this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 January 2018 at 17:34:27 #873449

Thank you for the tips.

I have few more questions,

1. if we have the swiss travel pass, we just need to buy tickets to Basel right, but which is the best website to buy train ticket from Paris to Basel? If you can provide link that’d be great.

2. and is the train timetable fixed? how to find out? since we do not require any reservation from basel to lucern, how are we supposed to know which train top hop on and at what time?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 January 2018 at 4:20:16 #873450

>> if we have the swiss travel pass, we just need to buy tickets to Basel right, but which is the best website to buy train ticket from Paris to Basel? If you can provide link that’d be great.

There is information here to help you:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france

>> and is the train timetable fixed? how to find out? since we do not require any reservation from basel to lucern, how are we supposed to know which train top hop on and at what time?

You can plan your whole trip from Paris to Luzern/Lucerne by using the Swiss Timetable. It will show you where to change trains, and even provide the platform numbers within Switzerland. You can go via Basel if you want to, but there are also other alternatives.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘3/4 nights Lucerne: Tell-Pass or Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.