Itinerary help 10 nights in July

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 December 2016 at 14:05:30 #810471

I am in the process of setting my itinerary for a trip this coming July and would love some help with my itinerary. Below is what I have so far and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Arrive Lucerne approx 3PM: 2-3 nights here, would like to see the city and possibly a trip to one of the mountains including a boat trip. Is this possible in 2 nights?

Murren vs Lauterbrunnen for 2-3 nights (extra night would be taken from Lucerne) any preference on which is better?

Bern 1 night

Lausanne 2 nights to explore lake Geneva area, Gruyere, montreux etc.

Then depart for two nights in Chamonix via car. The rest of travel will be by train

Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks!!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    24 December 2016 at 8:39:17 #857528

Hi LarzKe, thanks for joining us!

Your plans certainly sound reasonable. Yes, two nights will allows you to explore Lucerne and its surroundings. Mind that you’ll be switching base towns and hotels quite often though. Some travelers would prefer to limit their stay to one or two base towns at the most, but if you aim to explore several Swiss regions your current plans look fine. You may skip an overnight stay in Bern and make a day trip to Bern from Mürren/Lauterbrunnen, and extend your stay in one of these towns with one night. That might be more relaxed overall. Some prefer Mürren, some Lauterbrunnen and some yet other towns in the Jungfrau region. It’s really a personal and subjective choice. I suggest you check the links and decide for yourself. Also, searching this forum (using the search box in the upper right corner) allows you to read several topics on other tourists’ experiences in both towns

As for Lausanne: it’s a good location to explore the Lake Geneva region. Some would rather pick Montreux though, as it’s a bit smaller and more atmospheric.

Depending on your finalized itinerary, I suggest you look into rail passes. With the amount of traveling you just described an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass (not used for the days in Chamonix) might be a reasonable choice. Here’s how to compare: myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 December 2016 at 2:24:54 #857529

Hi Larzke –

Glad to see you here.

In addition to the excellent advice from Annika, I’ll ad that Bern is also easily accessible from Luzern. I certainly agree that you should avoid one night stays, unless you know exactly why you are going to a particular place. The Swiss Travel Network really makes it practical to travel easily.

The timetable will help you plan those kinds of details:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Also- in the Jungfrau region- I prefer Wengen, but each town has its advocates.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

I think that Lausanne is certainly a reasonable location for your plans in Western Switzerland. In my opinion, it is a toss-up with Montreux. Both have advantages.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Itinerary help 10 nights in July’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.