How long to stay at Matterhorn Glacier Paradise?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 June 2019 at 22:55:47 #822541

Hello! We are 2 older ladies (65+) who are thrilled to experience Switzerland for the first time in September. We have Swiss Train Passes and vouchers for the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise. At that height and probable temperatures, we will save our hiking for more temperate altitudes, so my question is:

What would be a good amount of time to planat the top? I know the trip up and back takes just under an hour each way. We will be dressed appropriately, and we have winters at home with these temperatures, so what might be an average time to just see the sights up there (that could be forever!!!!!) If there are restaurants or cafes, we could also indulge in a hot chocolate or cafe au lait!

Any help will be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7125 posts
    29 June 2019 at 7:57:25 #916435

Hi Barb4travel!

It depends indeed. If you like to take thing slowly by just sitting down and enjoying the views, you could easily spend about 3 to 4 hours up there. There’s a panoramic restaurant indeed, as wel as an ice cave and a cinema lounge showing movies about the Alps: myswissalps.com/kleinm atterhorn. For quicker visits I’d guess that 2 hours is a reasonable average.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2019 at 1:59:41 #916436

Dear Anniika,

Thank you for your kind response. That is pretty on spot with what I was thinking. I knew about the activities, etc. Do you think it is reasonable to consider the Matterhorn in the morning and Gornergratt in the afternoon into evening? Which would have better sunset views? Should we consider reversing for sunsets? We have, of course, ordered perfect weather conditions! (fingers crossed)

Once again, thank you in advance. It is not only helpful to talk to an “expert,” but reassuring as well. We have traveled extensively in France and Italy and love Lake Como area, but this is our first venture into Switzerland as a destination. The others seem familiar, and this seems, as we say in the states, a whole new ball game!

Thank you again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 5:26:14 #916437

Hello Barb4travel,

This is always a difficult question to answer, as beauty is quite individual and I personally haven’t experienced sunset on both the places.

Maybe this will provide input:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gornergrat-and-kleine-matterhorn-in-same-day
    http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/zermatt-to-klein-matterhorn-and-gornergrat
    http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/zermatt-peak-to-peak-29th-june

Also see:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/go rnergrat, to compare with Annika’s link.

Best,
    Steph

Rels
    Participant
    139 posts
    8 July 2019 at 3:54:30 #916438

Hi Barb4travel,

If you are planning on going to Gornergrat for sunset, check the time of the last train down. We were there May 30, sunset wasn’t til 9ish, and the last train down was 7.20pm. We treated ourselves and stayed overnight so we could experience sunset and sunrise, it was so beautiful and peaceful once the hordes of daytrippers left.

• The thread ‘How long to stay at Matterhorn Glacier Paradise?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.