Last-minute purchase of Swiss Travel Pass

• MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    12 September 2022 at 20:09:16 #828328

I am getting ready to buy a Swiss travel pass online. We leave the US tomorrow and arrive in Zurich on Wednesday 9-14. How do I control when the pass starts? I want to buy a 6 day pass (only really need 5 days) online and start using it on September 14. How do I do that? Do I activate it? I don’t need to validate anything, right? Just board a train and show my pass to the staff when requested?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2022 at 22:10:45 #946832

You must choose a start date when you purchase the pass. You can start travelling on the same date. So for example if you plan to travel on the 14th you can do that. If and when a ticket inspection takes place on the train they will check your code with their scanner.

MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    12 September 2022 at 22:13:39 #946833

Any thoughts on Happy Rails?

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 September 2022 at 5:54:42 #946834

Hi MichiMary,

Any web shop listed on our page http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price is fine, including HappyRail. Since this is a last minute purchase I’d recommend the official tourist web shop of the Swiss federal railways at https://shop.switzerlandtravelcentre.com/#/en/product/swissPass. You’ll receive your pass within minutes.

MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    13 September 2022 at 7:19:06 #946835

The website you suggest looks like it may be a little cheaper than the office SBB website–unless there are additional fees added at checkout??

What happens if we purchase this online now but there is a flight delay or cancellation? Hopefully not but don’t want to risk losing that amount of money if there is a last minute travel problem.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 September 2022 at 7:31:13 #946836

Hi again MichiMary,

Online ordering is an easy quick process; you can even do it after landing. There are no additional fees unless you pick the option to pay nothing at all for a full cancellation (see the site for details). But you don’t need that if you order only when you can travel for sure.

MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    14 September 2022 at 6:41:50 #946837

Thank you for all your help but I need a little more please! We landed in Zurich this AM and I was going to buy the tickets from the web site you suggested. It defaults to free print at home which may not be so easy for me now. If I choose that option, will I get a digital copy as well if I cannot print it before we take the first train. May be able to print when we get to our hotel in Wengen but obviously need it before that!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2022 at 6:45:53 #946838

Hi there,

no need to print it. You will receive a PDF file, that PDF file has a code that train staff can scan from your smartphone. Set your screen brightness to the maximum. You can buy the Swiss Travel Pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass/price

You can still ask your hotel in Wengen to print it, so you have a paper copy for safety reasons.

Enjoy your holiday!

Ildiko

MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    14 September 2022 at 7:10:29 #946839

I bought the tickets as suggested for 6 day passes for 2 adults for 718 CHF. The pdf only has my name with no indication that it is for 2 people so I am worried.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 September 2022 at 12:10:39 #946840

Hi MichiMary,

There should be 1 pass with the traveler’s name and QR code per person. So you should somehow have 2 files, or 1 file consisting of 2 parts, each with a name and QR code. Are you sure there’s no 2nd page to the pdf you received? And didn’t another pdf arrive on your e-mail address or in your spam folder?

If you really can’t find the other traveler’s pass, it’s best to contact the reseller directly. Assuming that’s Switzerland Travel Centre, can contact them as described here: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutus/partners/sbb. If you e-mail them, please make sure you include all info mentioned on that page. You can forward your e-mail to us, so we can keep an eye on this issue.

I hope the 2nd pass quickly turns up. Good luck and keep us posted if you want!

MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    14 September 2022 at 13:23:04 #946841

So sorry! There were 2 files. We made it to Wengen with no problems. Only asked for our passes one time but everything worked perfectly. Thank you so much for all of your gracious help. I could not have done this without you!

• The thread ‘Last-minute purchase of Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.