Lauterbrunnen – Mürren via Stechelberg hike

• ERainbow
    Participant
    14 posts
    31 March 2023 at 3:15:56 #829458

Hi everyone,

I would like to hike Lauterbrunnen – Murren via Stechelberg and stopping for Trummelbach.

Which direction to start would be better? from Murren or from Lauterbrunnen?

Thanks.

-E

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    31 March 2023 at 6:27:01 #952815

Hi ERainbow,

Most travelers will start from Lauterbrunnen, then take the cable car and mountain train to Mürren, walk through the village towards the Schilthornbahn then take a cable car down to Stechelberg and hike back to Lauterbrunnen. You can also easily do this loop in reverse. You can find more details on how to plan this hike here:

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

SteelyD
    Participant
    43 posts
    31 March 2023 at 16:59:43 #952816

I did the downhill (Murren to Stechelberg) last summer and loved it! Opposite direction is extremely vertical (we’re talking thousands of feet) so unless you are an *extremely* fit avid hiker I’d suggest downhill. Some gorgeous vistas, a cute bench (or two?) to rest on, and a lovely restaurant with an outdoor patio to have a drink/ snack on once you arrive in Stechelberg, before the rest of the trek to Lauterbrunnen (which is flat as a pancake with jaw-dropping cliff/valley views the entire way).

enjoy!

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    1 April 2023 at 2:35:35 #952817

Hi ERainbow,

I’m not sure what time of year your planning your trip, but if it’s from late June or later into, say, October, to expand on Anna’s suggestion, hiking/walking to Murren from the Grutschalp is a beautiful hike. (See picture attached). You can do that hike, take the train into Murren, or a combo of both. The views of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau are in front of you the whole time. It’s well worth it. The Grutschalp cable car is directly across from the Lauterbrunn train station. See picture attached of that also, as it could be confusing.

Have a great trip

Regards,

Danielsan

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    1 April 2023 at 16:49:35 #952818

Hi ERainbow,

This is the picture (sorry it quite didn’t make it into my last post) of what you’ll see on the hike from Grutschalp into Murren. It is beautiful.

Danielsan

ERainbow
    Participant
    14 posts
    2 April 2023 at 21:59:15 #952819

Thanks everyone for the input!

Thanks for the picture, Danielsan!! that IS BEAUTIFUL!!!! I thought about the Grutschalp to Murren hike, but wasn’t sure… I will be traveling first week of June, base at Wengen. I won’t have time to do both, which one would you recommend, Grutschalp to Murren or Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen? (I initially picked Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen because it’s the direction back to Wengen after Schilthorn)

Maybe something like this?

– Wegen – Lauterbrunnen – Grustschalp

– Hike Grustschalp – Murren (opt 2: train)

– Murren – Birg (Skywalk; Thrill walk) – Schilthorn

– Hike Murren – Gimmelwald

– Gimmelwald (cable car and bus) to Trummelbach Falls

– Trummelbach Falls – bus back to Lauterbrunnen – train to Wengen (opt 2: hike to Lauterbrunne from Trummelback Falls)

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    3 April 2023 at 10:40:02 #952820

Hi ERainbow,

It’s possible that the hike from Grutschalp to Murren might not yet be open in early June. If not, you can take the train, which basically parallels the hike in a meandering sort of way. If you set out early enough though, you can fit both hikes in the same day, as well as exploring the Schilthorn. You can also take the cable cars from Murren to Stechelberg (via Gimmelwald). I haven’t hiked from Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen, but I have read on this forum that it is flat (as mentioned by SteelyD) and relatively easy to do. That too can be done in segments of walking/hiking, or by bus. Many options and/or combos available there so you should fit it into your day. That is not only the beauty of, but also a perfect example of the flexability of having the STP (or similar Regional pass) so one can hop on/hop off at one’s pleasure. Enjoy.

Regards,

Danielsan

Szern9356
    Participant
    10 posts
    11 April 2023 at 1:11:26 #952821

– Hike Grustschalp – Murren (opt 2: train)

– Murren – Birg (Skywalk; Thrill walk) – Schilthorn

– Hike Murren – Gimmelwald

– Gimmelwald (cable car and bus) to Trummelbach Falls

– Trummelbach Falls – bus back to Lauterbrunnen – train to Wengen (opt 2: hike to Lauterbrunne from Trummelback Falls)

Hi I was planning to do this for my coming trip but it was in end Apr. It seem still snowing in Apr?

Is Murren area still snowing in Apr?

Anna
    6382 posts
    11 April 2023 at 10:01:06 #952822

Hi Szern9356,

In April, the trail from Grutschalp to Mürren to Gimmelwald might still be partly covered in snow/ice. The Stechelberg – Lauterbrunnen trail is fairly flat and would be a good option in April.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen – Mürren via Stechelberg hike’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.