Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald (4 days)? PLEASE help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2014 at 13:59:39 #806299

Hi everyone,

I am planning to go to Switzerland as a part of my Eurotrip in late June for a few days. In particular, I will be travelling to the Alps area and want to stay there for 4 full days (25-29 June). I will be travelling solo and am mainly interested in exploring as many picturesque and breathtaking hiking routes as possible during my stay there.

At the moment, I’m having troubles with deciding on a place to use as my base for those 4 days. I am tossed between Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald at the moment, but really don’t know which one to choose.

I was in Lauterbrunnen last year for 4 days and really LOVED the place, but have never been to Grindelwald. I guess I’m fine with staying at the same place again because Lauterbrunnen was amazing and I loved the valley and the proximity to both Murren and Wengen, but I’m definitely thinking to do Grindelwald this time but just not sure whether it’s worth staying there for all 4 days or if it would be perfectly fine to stay in Lauterbrunnen again but then just do 1 day trip to Grindelwald and explore everything there in 1 day?

Is this possible? Are there many scenic hikes and attractions in Grindelwald? Would it be more sensible to stay in Grindelwald for 4 days instead? I still want to visit Lauterbrunnen for at least 1 day and possibly Murren or Wengen and just basically explore that Lauterbrunnen/Murren/Wengen area again because there are so many great hikes and I didnt get to do all of them last year.

Does Grindelwald have better/more scenic hikes and landscapes then Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Murren region? How convenient would it be for me to base in Lauterbrunnen and then spend 1 or maximum 2 days on travelling to and exploring Grindelwald as day trips? Would it be worth it? How much time do you need to explore the best places nearby Grindelwald? (I’m not taking into account Wengen/Kleine Scheidegg/Mannichlen as they can be easily accessed from Wengen)

Sorry for too many questions and if I made it too long, but I just didn’t know where to start so decided to ask only these questions for now. If you need some extra details/information in order to provide me with a better and more accurate response, please don’t hesitate to ask!

Thanks in advance for any help, would be very appreciated 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    9 April 2014 at 16:01:59 #839725

Hi ivansydney, and welcome!

Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Mürren and Wengen are all in the Jungfrau region, which actually is just a small area. It really doesn’t matter where you stay in terms of your options to do hikes in the region. You can easily travel around in little time. Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald is just over half an hour by train, for example. I would recommend to pick one base town and do hikes in all parts of the region. More about the region, including a map and hiking suggestions, can be found here.

Grindelwald is more touristy/busy than Lauterbrunnen, and has more restaurants, hotels and stores. Wengen and Mürren are car free, and higher up in the mountains, with stunning views.

• The thread ‘Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald (4 days)? PLEASE help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.