Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2011 at 9:56:08 #804718

I’m planning my trip at swiss in 2012 March…my plan in swiss is as below,

Day 1: Colmar (by TER) -> Luzern (by Golden Pass) -> Interlaken
    Day 2: Jungfraujoch -> thun -> Interlaken
    Day 3: Interlaken -> Montreux

My questions are as below,
    1. What is the benefit of swiss pass over france-swiss pass?
    2. should I buy swiss pass or swiss half fare card?
    3. How can i travel from Interlaken to Montreux?
    4. What is the temperature like on Jungfraujoch in March?
    5. There’re 2 routes to Jungfraujoch, do I need to specify my preferred route when buying ticket?
    6. Which train in swiss must be reserved be-forehead in order to ride (or always full)?

Thanks very much for helping!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2011 at 14:41:54 #834246

Hi Renren, I can answer some of this. The Swiss Pass will give you a discount on the jungfrau trip and also cover trip interlaken lauterbrunnen/kleinescheidegg or interlaken/grindlewald/Kleinescheidegg[both routes from Interlaken Ost station] and from Kleine u can pay less to Jungfrau. If travelling with someone opt for swiss saver pass[cheaper for 2 or more people only] Train service readily available Interlaken-montreux. Will need good boots for March Jungfrau weather [can’t help here] Some useful websites for info: Interlaken.ch, jungfrau.ch, villa.ch swisstravelsystem.ch[the ch is the swiss hookup, like our .com] Not much but I hope it helps rahman

Annika
    7115 posts
    26 September 2011 at 14:29:06 #834247

Thanks for the advice Rahman!

Renren, all details on the Swiss Pass can be found at the Swiss Pass page. You’ll find a link to a validity map there too, just as an up to date overview of purchase options on the right side of the page. Just fill out your country, number of travelers and pass variant to see which option is cheapest. The advantage over the Eurail France-Switzerland Pass is that it covers a trips in Switzerland. If all you need in France is the French leg of your inbound trip to Lucerne, it wouldn’t be worth buying a France-Switzerland Pass. You’d be better off with a Swiss rail pass, and a separate ticket Colmar-Swiss border. I’d say you should consider a 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass or a Swiss Card for your stay. Details and purchase options can be found at the pages I linked to, just as with the Swiss Pass.

All trips can be planned using the Swiss timetable.

When buying your (discounted) ticket for the Jungfraujoch, you can best do so at a manned railway desk in Interlaken and specify your route, as this will be printed on the ticket. You could choose to go up one way (via Lauterbrunnen and Wengen) and down the other way (via Grindelwald), thus making a round trip and enjoying both stunning routes. Just ask the personnel and they’ll get you the right ticket with the right amount of discount if you show your rail pass. As for temperatures up there: it’ll be freezing in March.

Most trains don’t require seat reservation. International trains and special panoramic trains such as the Golden Pass do need reservations. You can read about this, and arrange for your reservations, at the seat reservation page.

• The thread ‘Lost in Swiss….’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.