Lötschberger train roundtrip from Brig

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2020 at 18:40:45 #825443

Hi there greetings of the day!

We are taking Glacier Express from Zermatt to Brig in the morning and then afternoon train from Brig to St Moritz for date 11th June.2020.

We shall get 5 hours to spend at Brig. In some post of Rockoyster I found about scenic Lotchsberger train from Brig…

Should we do this train journey from Brig via Kandersteg…? Which should be the last station for return journey to Brig to board afternoon Glacier Express from Brig?

We have Eurail Global pass for 1st class…would we need to reserve seats on Lotchsberger train?

Is it wise to do this trip ? Shall we be able to reach back to Brig and not miss the Glacier Express?

Please guide us for Lotschberger route.

Any other ideas also well come.

Thanks and regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2020 at 19:28:08 #931328

Hello Sheela,

The train you’re referring to is the regional train Brig – Bern, which doesn’t take the Lötschberg Base Tunnel but rather the mountain route. Find the stops of this train in the following link and use the timetable to find out, which place would be appropriate for you timewise. You will need to stick to the RE, the RegionalExpress trains, in the timetable, otherwise you’re on the tunnel route:
    http://www.bls.ch/en/fahren/unterwegs-mit/bahn/regionalverkehr?utm_source=mapping&utm_medium=direct
    http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Also find some inspiration on Brig below:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/brig
    http://www.bls.ch/en/freizeit-und-ferien/ausfluege/loetschberger/stockalperschloss

Hope this provides some guidance. Get back to us anytime for further input.

Best,
    Steph

Victoria
    Participant
    64 posts
    9 March 2020 at 21:44:58 #931329

Hi Sheela,

I travelled on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train – between Spiez and Brig via Kandersteg – last time I visited Switzerland. I was on my way from Wengen to Zermatt and took that route because I had heard it was more scenic than the faster more direct route.

lt’s quite scenic, but I don’t think I would be tempted to break the Glacier Express journey just to make that trip.

You realise you will need separate seat reservations for both legs of the Glacier Express if you break the journey at Brig? So there is that added expense to take into account, not to mention a late arrival in St Moritz and the fact you will be adding about a 3 hour train trip on top of the 8 and a half hour Glacier Express.

Vickie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2020 at 23:39:28 #931330

The Lötschberg mountain route is scenic, but not really something you would do unless it is part of a main journey to the north from Brig. I wouldn’t worry about it myself. If anything you could go to Zermatt and back and hope the Matterhorn is not in cloud.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2020 at 0:57:10 #931331

Hi Thanks all for the information. I have dropped the idea of breaking journey and reserved seats on 9.52am Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz for 11th June 2020 for 4 persons.

Myswissalps is immensely helpful site for travellers visiting Switzerland….Thanks again.

• The thread ‘Lötschberger train roundtrip from Brig’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.