Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Lötschberger train roundtrip from Brig

Lötschberger train roundtrip from Brig

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Sheela
Sheela
8 posts
Mar 9, 2020 - 6:40 PM

Hi there greetings of the day!

We are taking Glacier Express from Zermatt to Brig in the morning and then afternoon train from Brig to St Moritz for date 11th June.2020.

We shall get 5 hours to spend at Brig. In some post of Rockoyster I found about scenic Lotchsberger train from Brig...

Should we do this train journey from Brig via Kandersteg...? Which should be the last station for return journey to Brig to board afternoon Glacier Express from Brig?

We have Eurail Global pass for 1st class...would we need to reserve seats on Lotchsberger train?

Is it wise to do this trip ? Shall we be able to reach back to Brig and not miss the Glacier Express?

Please guide us for Lotschberger route.

Any other ideas also well come.

Thanks and regards

Steph
Steph
2293 posts
top member
Mar 9, 2020 - 7:28 PM in reply to Sheela

Hello Sheela,

The train you're referring to is the regional train Brig - Bern, which doesn't take the Lötschberg Base Tunnel but rather the mountain route. Find the stops of this train in the following link and use the timetable to find out, which place would be appropriate for you timewise. You will need to stick to the RE, the RegionalExpress trains, in the timetable, otherwise you're on the tunnel route:
- www.bls.ch/en/fahren/unterwegs-mit/bahn/regionalverkehr?utm_source=mapping&utm_medium=direct
- www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Also find some inspiration on Brig below:
- www.myswissalps.com/brig
- www.bls.ch/en/freizeit-und-ferien/ausfluege/loetschberger/stockalperschloss

Hope this provides some guidance. Get back to us anytime for further input.

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Mar 9, 2020 - 7:31 PM by Steph
Victoria
Victoria
60 posts
Mar 9, 2020 - 9:44 PM in reply to Sheela

Hi Sheela,

I travelled on the Regio-Express Lötschberger train - between Spiez and Brig via Kandersteg - last time I visited Switzerland. I was on my way from Wengen to Zermatt and took that route because I had heard it was more scenic than the faster more direct route.

lt’s quite scenic, but I don’t think I would be tempted to break the Glacier Express journey just to make that trip.

You realise you will need separate seat reservations for both legs of the Glacier Express if you break the journey at Brig? So there is that added expense to take into account, not to mention a late arrival in St Moritz and the fact you will be adding about a 3 hour train trip on top of the 8 and a half hour Glacier Express.

Vickie

Last modified on Mar 10, 2020 - 10:58 AM by Steph
1960man
1960man
2717 posts
top member
Mar 9, 2020 - 11:39 PM in reply to Sheela

The Lötschberg mountain route is scenic, but not really something you would do unless it is part of a main journey to the north from Brig. I wouldn't worry about it myself. If anything you could go to Zermatt and back and hope the Matterhorn is not in cloud.

Sheela
Sheela
8 posts
Mar 10, 2020 - 12:57 AM

Hi Thanks all for the information. I have dropped the idea of breaking journey and reserved seats on 9.52am Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz for 11th June 2020 for 4 persons.

Myswissalps is immensely helpful site for travellers visiting Switzerland....Thanks again.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020