Lower elevation hikes near Pontresina

• Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    6 June 2016 at 3:37:15 #809366

We are staying in Pontresina from June 12 to June 15. We had hoped to go to Muottas Muragi on June 14 and hike to Alp Languard. It looks like the trails are still snow-covered. Can you suggest an alternate hike at a lower elevation with great views? Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    7 June 2016 at 10:37:50 #852664

Hi Travelbug53,

The trail from Morteratsch is wonderful and easy. Walking from Pontresina into the Roseg valley is also very nice. Be sure to walk at least as far as the hotel/restaurant.

Travelbug53
    Participant
    64 posts
    7 June 2016 at 14:18:06 #852665

Thank you for the great suggestions Arno. The weather forecast shows that is going to rain every day next week. We are still determined to make the most of it and enjoy our time in Pontresina and Zermatt.

Arno
    15482 posts
    7 June 2016 at 14:47:21 #852666

No worries, a weather forecast for 5 to 8 days ahead is nearly useless for the Alps. Check again 2 days ahead of time, and the prior evening as well. Even if it does rain, it’s usually not all day long. I’ve had mainly days in the Alps with rain in the forecast where it did not start raining until 5 PM or so.

Have fun!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 June 2016 at 16:26:43 #852667

<<“Even if it does rain, it’s usually not all day long. I’ve had mainly days in the Alps with rain in the forecast where it did not start raining until 5 PM or so.”>>

And, sometimes it rains in the next valley over and not in the one I am (or you are) in.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15482 posts
    7 June 2016 at 17:48:03 #852668

Indeed, rain in the forecast but getting a wonderful sunny day in reality. It happened to me more often than the other way round.

• The thread ‘Lower elevation hikes near Pontresina’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.