Lucerne-Jungfrau-Zurich best rail pass

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Rajatgirdhar
Rajatgirdhar
5 posts
May 29, 2018 - 5:30 PM

Hi All,

Following is our itinerary:

June 7: Landing at 1 pm zurich airport, lucerne via train. Night stay at lucerne

June 8: Leaving for wengen via train in the afternoon via train, night stay at wengen

June 9: Jungrau visit via cogwheel train, night stay at wengen

June 10: early morning train to zurich, night stay at zurich and quick trip to rhinefalls

June 11: leaving for france

Kindly guide on which travel pass would make more sense : swiss travel pass or half fare card

We are looking at following inclusions: All bus/train visits (local & intercity), jungfrau package, lucerne cruise & other spots, cable cars access at wengen & other locations, trip to rhine falls, & other obvious spots around these areas.

looking for a quick feedback so that bookings can be done asap :)

Can't wait to visit,

Rajat

Lucas
Lucas
9206 posts
expert &
May 29, 2018 - 6:41 PM in reply to Rajatgirdhar

Hi Rajat,

I'd look at a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass - easiest option for sure as most trips won't require any additional tickets. To see what routes are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

But,
To truly know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. :)

Rajatgirdhar
Rajatgirdhar
5 posts
May 30, 2018 - 12:03 PM in reply to Lucas

Thanks a lot Lucas,

I have 2 more queries:

1. As i am staying in wengen: does the jungrau access pass would be cheaper as compared to someone coming from interlaken etc. Also what are inclusions in that pass?

2. I would be carrying euros , so i believe that would suffice & i would not have to carry CHF separately?

Regards,

Rajat

Lucas
Lucas
9206 posts
expert &
May 30, 2018 - 2:55 PM in reply to Rajatgirdhar

Hi Rajat,

1. I'm not clear on your question. Is the Jungfrau Travel Pass a better deal for you as you are in Wengen? You can read about the pass here: myswissalps.com/jungfr autravelpass.
  2. A few stores will accept Euros, but the official currency in Switzerland is the Swiss Franc. I would definitely carry some while you are here.
Last modified on Jun 2, 2018 - 10:23 AM by Annika
Rajatgirdhar
Rajatgirdhar
5 posts
May 30, 2018 - 5:10 PM in reply to Lucas

Again thanks for a prompt revert.

What I want to ask is from where do i book tickets for Jungfrau?

And would the tickets be cheaper compared to other locations if I am staying and returning to wengen?

Rajatgirdhar
Rajatgirdhar
5 posts
May 30, 2018 - 6:27 PM in reply to Rajatgirdhar

Also,

Can we buy half fare and jungfrau tickets online and carry print outs with us?

What would be the best site to purchase above 2 online?

Thanks in advance

Lucas
Lucas
9206 posts
expert &
May 30, 2018 - 8:27 PM in reply to Rajatgirdhar

Tickets would be cheaper in Wengen compared to Interlaken yes. The closer you are to a destination the less you pay.

You can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price
and tickets to Jungfraujoch online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfraujoch/tic kets

Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
May 31, 2018 - 3:30 AM in reply to Lucas

>> Tickets would be cheaper in Wengen compared to Interlaken yes. The closer you are to a destination the less you pay.

But to start in Wengen, you still have to get there from Interlaken Ost ... whether on the same or on a different day :-)

Alpenrose

Lucas
Lucas
9206 posts
expert &
May 31, 2018 - 6:53 AM in reply to Removed user

Very true....gotta pay for it at some point! :)

Rajatgirdhar
Rajatgirdhar
5 posts
May 31, 2018 - 5:27 PM

Thanks a ton buddies for the help 🙂

One more question:

What would be the weather/temparature like between 7-10th June. Asking from the perspective of which clothes to carry .

Lucas
Lucas
9206 posts
expert &
May 31, 2018 - 7:40 PM in reply to Rajatgirdhar

Given the recent weather we've been having I'd guess 23-28 degrees C.
In the higher elevations it would be around 5-12 degrees if I had to guess.

I'd be prepared for some rain as well (you never know).

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018