Lucerne-Jungfrau-Zurich best rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 17:30:17 #816304

Hi All,

Following is our itinerary:

June 7: Landing at 1 pm zurich airport, lucerne via train. Night stay at lucerne

June 8: Leaving for wengen via train in the afternoon via train, night stay at wengen

June 9: Jungrau visit via cogwheel train, night stay at wengen

June 10: early morning train to zurich, night stay at zurich and quick trip to rhinefalls

June 11: leaving for france

Kindly guide on which travel pass would make more sense : swiss travel pass or half fare card

We are looking at following inclusions: All bus/train visits (local & intercity), jungfrau package, lucerne cruise & other spots, cable cars access at wengen & other locations, trip to rhine falls, & other obvious spots around these areas.

looking for a quick feedback so that bookings can be done asap 🙂

Can’t wait to visit,

Rajat

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 18:41:32 #886733

Hi Rajat,

I’d look at a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass – easiest option for sure as most trips won’t require any additional tickets. To see what routes are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

But,
    To truly know which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 12:03:44 #886734

Thanks a lot Lucas,

I have 2 more queries:

1. As i am staying in wengen: does the jungrau access pass would be cheaper as compared to someone coming from interlaken etc. Also what are inclusions in that pass?

2. I would be carrying euros , so i believe that would suffice & i would not have to carry CHF separately?

Regards,

Rajat

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 14:55:45 #886735

Hi Rajat,

1. I’m not clear on your question. Is the Jungfrau Travel Pass a better deal for you as you are in Wengen? You can read about the pass here: myswissalps.com/jungfr autravelpass.
    2. A few stores will accept Euros, but the official currency in Switzerland is the Swiss Franc. I would definitely carry some while you are here.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 17:10:57 #886736

Again thanks for a prompt revert.

What I want to ask is from where do i book tickets for Jungfrau?

And would the tickets be cheaper compared to other locations if I am staying and returning to wengen?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 18:27:18 #886737

Also,

Can we buy half fare and jungfrau tickets online and carry print outs with us?

What would be the best site to purchase above 2 online?

Thanks in advance

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 20:27:18 #886738

Tickets would be cheaper in Wengen compared to Interlaken yes. The closer you are to a destination the less you pay.

You can buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price
    and tickets to Jungfraujoch online here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfraujoch/tic kets

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 3:30:49 #886739

>> Tickets would be cheaper in Wengen compared to Interlaken yes. The closer you are to a destination the less you pay.

But to start in Wengen, you still have to get there from Interlaken Ost … whether on the same or on a different day 🙂

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 6:53:13 #886740

Very true….gotta pay for it at some point! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 17:27:54 #886741

Thanks a ton buddies for the help 🙂

One more question:

What would be the weather/temparature like between 7-10th June. Asking from the perspective of which clothes to carry .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 19:40:59 #886742

Given the recent weather we’ve been having I’d guess 23-28 degrees C.
    In the higher elevations it would be around 5-12 degrees if I had to guess.

I’d be prepared for some rain as well (you never know).

• The thread ‘Lucerne-Jungfrau-Zurich best rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.