From Lucerne to Mount Rigi Switzerland in May

• Victorecholi
    Participant
    18 posts
    13 February 2019 at 5:09:42 #819916

hi greetings to everyone:)

i would like to know the alternate/ shortest way to reach mt rigi .from my i understanding is, it can be reached by taking a boat from lucerne then getting down at Vitznau and from there taking the cogwheel train up to the top(rigi kulm) and back down to take boat ride back to lucerne( correct me if am wrong in this. my apologizes)

1-is there any train service to take instead of boat ride to mt rigi?

2- do we need to buy or exchange to tickets if we have swiss travel pass the rides for both boat and cogwheel train?

3- how long is the boat ride to reach Vitznau from lucerne and cogwheel train to reach rigi kulm?

4- what to expect in the month of may at Switzerland in terms of tourist crowds, temperature etc?

thank you very much for the help everyone:)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2019 at 9:52:04 #904158

Hi Victorecholi,

Just for your information, Mount Rigi can be reached from three points (Vitznau, Arth Goldau and Weggis), as you can see in this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi

1. There is a train service to Arth Goldau from Lucerne, which takes around 30 mins. Worth considering if you need to keep an eye on time.
    However I would not miss the boat ride between Vitznau and Lucerne and would recommend a kind of “roundtrip”.
    If you want to include a cablecar ride to your trip as well, look at going up from Weggis (get there by boat).

2.No, all of the tickets for whichever route of this trip are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.
    (check tickets section of above Mount Rigi link)

3. For detailed timetables use this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

4. May is a month when visitor numbers start picking up but not at all crowded. The temperatures are moderate and beginning to rise but especially in mountain areas it’s hard to forecast what weather will dominate. Check this link for further information: http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

For further support just post again. Happy planning.

Best,
    Steph

Victorecholi
    Participant
    18 posts
    13 February 2019 at 9:58:04 #904159

Thank you so much for the information. Will take note on them and work on them on my itinerary. Looking forward for the trip

twooldgoats
    Participant
    20 posts
    13 February 2019 at 17:14:48 #904160

We did this trip last May with a Swiss Travel Pass and enjoyed it immensely. We took the boat from Lucerne to Vitznau and it was overcast and cool. From there we took the cogwheel train to the top of Mt. Rigi and broke out of the clouds halfway up to a beautiful sunny view that went forever. On the way back, we got off the train and took the cable car to Weggis and then boat back to Lucerne. All free with the STP and all fun! None of the conveyances or destinations were particularly crowded and the walks were easy.

Jim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2019 at 0:14:36 #904161

Quickest way to the top of the Rigi (Rigi Kulm) is by train to Arth Goldau,, then the ARB (Arth Rigi Bahn) to the top. Takes 90 minutes.

• The thread ‘From Lucerne to Mount Rigi Switzerland in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.