Luggage and food on Swiss trains and buses

• zeto
    Participant
    24 posts
    5 September 2022 at 9:02:40 #828259

My wife and I will be travelling to Switzerland from 2 to 20 Oct. Our itinerary is Zurich – Chur – Lugano – Lucern – Interlaken – Zermatt – Zurich (including a day trip to Rhine Falls). We will be getting the 2nd Class 15-Day Swiss Travel Pass. We have already made reservations on the Bernina Express and Glacier Express.

1) As we will be travelling with two 28″ luggages and two hand-carry bags, will we have any problems on any of the trains ?

2) Will it be a problem on the Tirano – Lugano Bus with the 28″ luggages ?

3) Is it advisable to pack my own lunch for the scenic train rides ?

3) Any additional advise would be appreciated very much

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    5 September 2022 at 13:29:19 #946443

Hi zeto,

1. No worries. Travellers with big luggage is a common sight on Swiss trains. There are luggage compartments on all trains. You can find practical information about this here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/luggage

2. Passengers on the Bernina Express bus between Tirano and Lugano are allowed to travel with one big luggage and a hand carry each. Don’t forget to make your seat reservation.

3. Glacier Express and Bernina Express provides refreshments and snacks on board. But you are free to bring your own snacks or meals f you prefer.

Let us know if you need more information.

Regards,

Anna

zeto
    Participant
    24 posts
    14 September 2022 at 7:05:36 #946444

One other question, I presume the trains are point-to-point and there are no intermediate stops. So no passengers getting on and off except at the origin and destination ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2022 at 9:15:13 #946445

Hi zeto,

you (or other passengers) can hop on and off at other stations too. You’re not required to travel the full stretch from Zermatt to St.
    Moritz. The reservation fee for 1st and 2nd class varies by the traveled distance.

For example, if you want to combine the Glacier Express and the Gotthard Panorama Express you can do that too, and you do not travel on the whole route.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2022 at 11:15:09 #946446

No, the trains are not ‘point to point’ only.

It is a common misconception that the so called ‘panoramic’ trains in Switzerland are somehow exclusive and not like other ordinary trains. This is not true. All they are is regular trains but with ‘special’ carriages. However they all operate just like regular trains with stops along the route at main stations. It is possible to travel some short distance legs on them, but it is not recommended as a regular train is cheaper and gives just the same views.

For example the full distance Glacier Express (Zermatt – St Moritz) makes seven intermediate stops. The full distance Bernina Express (Chur – Tirano) usually makes eight intermediate stops.

zeto
    Participant
    24 posts
    14 September 2022 at 12:10:07 #946447

Sorry if i was unclear. I was referring to the city-to-city trains. My understanding is that the 1.5 – 2.5 hour journey does not have any intermediate stops. Just wanted to be sure . Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2022 at 14:10:49 #946448

Hi zeto,

that is correct. Between the stations that are shown in the timetable, the train does not stops anywhere else.

Here is the route of the Glacier Express: http://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/gettingthere.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2022 at 16:41:12 #946449

City-to-city trains (in all of Europe) can stop at any number of intermediate stations. There are very few if any main line trains in Switzerland that go from one major place to another without stopping on the way at at least one intermediate station

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 September 2022 at 15:06:04 #946450

Hi zeto!

You can enter any journey in the timetable. Then pick a connection and click on it. If you then click the “plus” symbol between the “to” and “from” stations, you’ll get to see all intermediate stops. Please see a (random) example in the attached screenshot. More tips to use the timetable are here: https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable.

zeto
    Participant
    24 posts
    16 September 2022 at 2:18:50 #946451

Hi Arno,

Thanks. I was using the SBB app. For most of the train segments, I didn’t see any intermediate stops. Thanks for clarifying

• The thread ‘Luggage and food on Swiss trains and buses’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.