How to ride cog train Lucerne-Kleine Scheidegg

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2019 at 17:20:09 #823325

Hi. My wife and I are thinking about a trip to Kleine Scheidegg from Luzern the end of September. There are tours available that use a coach but we like riding the train. My question is “How do we plan our trip so it uses the cog-wheel trains once we get past Interlaken?” Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 August 2019 at 21:14:44 #919708

Hello Bill and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

Once you get to Interlaken there are 2 ways to reach Kleine Scheidegg. One via Wengen and the other via Grindelwald. Trains all the way. Go up one way and downtown the other for variety.

Between Luzern and Interlaken go one way via Brienz and one way via Bern for added variety.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2019 at 23:20:47 #919709

Thank you rockoyster. I looked at the SBB site and we can get to Kleine Scheidegg via Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen. Are the trains from those two cog-wheel or is the only cog-wheel from Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch? We would do the up-one-way and back-the other when we go.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 August 2019 at 23:26:58 #919710

Hi Bill,

I think they are both cog-wheel trains but given they are the only ones on offer I’ve never bothered to check. Does it matter to you? If you want some real cog-wheel action have a look at the railway between Alpnachstad and Pilatus Kulm. See http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 August 2019 at 23:48:58 #919711

I’m going to cheekily switch from ‘cog-wheel’ to using the English term ‘Rack railway’.

Don’t worry you will be on a rack railway at some point on your journey to Kleine Scheidegg … and here’s the bit you weren’t expecting … the first section you will meet is actually only 30 minutes after leaving Luzern (at Giswil) as the Brünig pass railway has rack sections.

After Interlaken you are on the ‘Jungfrau’ railways network comprising the Berner Oberland Bahn (BOB, WengernalpBahn (WAB) and Jungfraubahn (JB).

The BOB railway (blue and yellow trains) is a Y shaped line from Interlaken, dividing at Zweilütschinen, to Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. Once on the the BOB you will also meet the rack – both arms of the BOB route have short steep sections with rack.

Above Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald you are on the Wengernalpbahn (WAB – green and yellow trains). The WAB runs up to Kleine Scheidegg from both sides Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen, hence the possibilty of doing the circuit. It is 100% rack (thus the longest such in the world)

The round trip via Grindelwald one way and Wengen the other way is pretty much the standard ‘tourist’ way to travel the Jungfrau railways

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 August 2019 at 1:05:22 #919712

Thank you all for your responses. We are planning on doing the Pilatus jaunt – I want to try the sled ride and test out my GoPro coming down and going back up – and that rack railway sounds pretty good. We are really looking forward to our upcoming trip and experiencing a small part of Switzerland and the Alps. Previously we’ve only flown over them but now we can go through them. Thanks again for all the great information!

Annika
    7124 posts
    10 August 2019 at 8:50:23 #919713

Hi bill2665! Yes, doing a round trip would make for a very nice journey. It’s part of the route up to Jungfraujoch and you’ll find details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e. Enjoy your preparations!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
  • The thread ‘How to ride cog train Lucerne-Kleine Scheidegg’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.