Milan to Wengen via train and Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 May 2016 at 13:09:36 #809212

Hi everyone! Seeking advice on how to efficiently complete a trip from Milan to Wengen. We will actually be originating in Peschiera but this must go through Milan. I’m interested in purchasing the half-fare card for moving around Switzerland. I’m not sure how I should book this trip, should I do the whole trip on Trenitalia or SBB? Or a portion of each leg? I see really quick transfers especially in Spiez to Interlaken and I’m not sure how using the half-fare card will play into this? Should I attempted to book any legs of this train travel before we leave or does it make more sense to wait until we are there? Any advice would be appreciated! The more I look I feel like the more confused I get! Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    16 May 2016 at 13:44:12 #852089

Hi lrmuniz90,

The difficulty with the Swiss Half Fare Card is that it’s slightly different from the Half-Fare travelcard for Swiss citizens when it comes to trips to other countries. More details are on the Swiss Half Fare Card page. I think you should be able to book this on the SBB site and pick the domestic version of the card, but I am not 100% sure. An alternative is to simply book a regular ticket to Brig through any of the sites listed here, and buy a 50% discounted ticket Brig – Wengen in Brig or on the SBB site (I think you need an account for that). That does not take a lot of time as you can get it from any of the ticketing machines, provided that you buy your Swiss Half Fare Card in advance and print it at home (see here). Note that the ticket for the Italian leg must be bought in advance as most trains require seat reservations. The reservations will be included in the ticket.

If you get off the train in Brig you can take the opportunity to proceed on the local train via Goppenstein to Spiez, which is far more scenic than the fast trains through the long tunnel.

• The thread ‘Milan to Wengen via train and Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.