Montreux or Zermatt in Dec – Where to stay longer?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 November 2016 at 16:01:10 #810300

Hi Arno and Annika

Would appreciate help on my intinerary so far. Do you think this is a little too rushed or do you have better suggestions. I am getting a little confused as soo many lovely places to see.

• Arrive Zurich Airport in morning of 12 Dec
    • Catch train from airport straight down to Lucerne. Stay 2 days Leave 14th Dec.
    • As limited time and the season we are in , Unsure whether to take a trip to Pilatus or Mt Titlis on the 13th?? Will we see much in December?? I will be travelling with my 20 year old son. I think there may be more for us to do at Mt Titlis perhaps?
    • Golden Pass LIne From Lucerne to Montreaux – Stay 2 days or 1? Visit Xmas Market. Would we be able to get to the Jungfrau from here to Interlaken and up to the mountain? or is that too rushed.?
    • Train to Zermatt in morning and stay 1 or 2 nights
    • Catch the GE to St Moritz and stay 1 night
    • 18th Dec Catch train back to Zurich and fly out same day
    • Is it better to stay 2 days in Montreaux or Zermatt? Which is the better idea. We only have 7 days . Not sure after Lucerne as to dates to stay and depart from these towns? Only know we have to be back to Zurich by the 18th Do you have a better itinerary to suggest ? Would really appreciate your help with this one.
  • Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    2 November 2016 at 15:32:25 #856855

Hi Lisac,

Here are some thoughts:

• Pilatus is much closer to Zurich but you’re right, Titlis might offer more activities. Please compare for yourself through our Pilatus and Titlis pages;
    • I’d definitely not visit the Jungfraujoch from Montreux. Did you check the timetable for traveling times? You’d better do so from Lucerne if it’s a must for you, or as a side trip on your way from Lucerne to Montreux;
    • Montreux and Zermatt are very different: a chic lake town versus a popular mountain village. Which is better, highly depends on your personal preferences. If you’re interested in (winter) scenery and snow, Zermatt would be better. Mind to book accommodation quickly, as you’ll be traveling in a popular time. The links I provided contain sections with the hotels we recommend;
    • likewise, did you book your Glacier Express seats yet?
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 November 2016 at 16:23:19 #856856

Hi Annika

Thank you so much for all the helpful information. I think it sounds like we may have to miss the Jungfraujoch and yes I have booked my Glacier Express seats which is fabulous and a relief.

I am now a little concerned as I cant seem to book a reservations for the Golden pass line??? Would it be booked out for mid december already? Is there a direct contact email at Swiss rail transport that I can message and ask as I think there has also been an error with my credit card booking of tHe Glacier Express and it has been double booked and I need to talk to them to sort it out!

Many thanks for your help. I have booked all our accommodation. It is just the rail line journeys that are concerning me at the moment.

Will I need to also pre book our train journeys back from St moritz to Zurich?

Is there a panoramic train back that way that we could take?

Thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 November 2016 at 16:44:08 #856857

Hi Lisac,

Please see there:

There is no specific train I’d recommend from St. Moritz to Zurich, but for variety the route St. Moritz – Samedan – Sagliains – Landquart – Zurich is very nice. Just take any train on that route.

• The thread ‘Montreux or Zermatt in Dec – Where to stay longer?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.