Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Most scenic route from Tirano to Chur

Most scenic route from Tirano to Chur

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Glenderg
Glenderg
4 posts
Oct 27, 2019 - 11:21 AM

Hello everyone,

I am planning a whole days train travel starting from Venice early morning, arriving Zurich that evening.

I would like to take the most scenic route time permitting & knowing part of the trip will be in the dark.

My planned route at the moment on Sat. 28/12/2019 is

Option 1 / Venice > Milan Central > Tirano > Pontresina > Samedan > Chur >Zurich. arrive 18: 37

Option 2 / Tirano > St Moritz > Chur > Zurich. arrive 19:23

A little concerned the transfer times are a bit tight from Tirano onward the shortest is 5 mins.

I prefer Option 1 because of the earlier arrival time so my question is would I be missing out on anything spectacular?

I am 75 years and this is my first attempt to plan anything like this so feel free to tell me exactly what you think, all your thoughts and advice will be graciously accepted.

Thanks in advance David.

Arno
Arno
14119 posts
expert &
Oct 27, 2019 - 4:34 PM

Hello David,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Option 1 and 2 are almost the same, apart from about 10 km around St. Moritz. You won't miss anything special by picking option 1, it's a wonderful route.

Short transfer times are perfectly normal and feasible in Switzerland. It's part of an efficient trip. Please see under "Tight connection times" here: www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. There's always a next train, so no problem in case you miss a train.

More details about the route are here: www.myswissalps.com/be rninaexpress

Enjoy the trip and just let us know if any questions remain!

Glenderg
Glenderg
4 posts
Oct 27, 2019 - 8:19 PM in reply to Arno

Good evening Arno

Thank you so much for your reply with the advice I was hoping for I am now much more confident to proceed with booking our tickets.

Thanks David.

rockoyster
rockoyster
7843 posts
expert
Oct 27, 2019 - 8:52 PM in reply to Glenderg

Hello David,

If you catch the Bernina Express departing Tirano at 14:25 and arriving Chur 18:19 there are no connections to worry about between Tirano and Chur.

Just be careful with connections at Tirano. Italian trains are not noted for the same clock-like efficiency as the Swiss trains.

If you want to take the BEX you should make reservations very soon.

See also www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/italy.

What else are you planning in Switzerland?

Glenderg
Glenderg
4 posts
Oct 28, 2019 - 6:59 AM in reply to rockoyster

Good morning Rockoyster

Thank you for your suggestions and advice.

unfortunately we don’t have much time left so Switzerland is limited to the train journey and who nights in Zurich

Steph
Steph
2020 posts
top member &
Oct 28, 2019 - 7:16 AM in reply to Glenderg

Hello David,

This makes sense, limiting your activities in Switzerland if you only have limited time available. Most people try to cramp too much into their stay.

For input about what to do in Zurich and the area, see below links. Also note, that e.g. Lucerne is only an hour train ride from Zurich.
- www.myswissalps.com/zu rich
- www.myswissalps.com/la kezurich
- www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Best,
Steph

Last modified on Oct 28, 2019 - 7:16 AM by Steph
Glenderg
Glenderg
4 posts
Oct 28, 2019 - 7:42 AM

Good morning Steph,

Thanks for the links.

I’ll check them out later.

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019