Mountain day trips from Montreux in October

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2020 at 20:38:10 #825184

Hi there,

I will be visiting Montreux again this October (visited last year and fell in love, coming back for a longer trip this year!)

and I am looking to find some very lush Swiss scenery. I am thinking staggering mountains, green fields and maybe a lake ? Think Grindelwald but a little closer to Montreux if possible under 2 hours by train.

I have been to both Gruyeres and Rochers de Naye on my last visit and adored them.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2020 at 21:55:28 #929962

Hi Emma and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Glacier 3000 is fairly “staggering”. Even to train ride up to Les Diablerets or Leysin (out of Aigle) are worth doing. See http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/autumn-in-montreux-september-2019.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2020 at 1:16:31 #929963

A ‘staggering’ location in western Switzerland and thus accessible from Montreux is the Emosson dam and lake. This is very unusual and rarely mentioned on this site.

You go up the mountain to the dam and lake via a combination of unusual (quite odd some would say!) small ‘toy’ railways converted from works railways

verticalp-emosson.ch/en/

You could also go to Chamonix via Martigny and the Mont Blanc Express

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 February 2020 at 1:24:09 #929964

Bonjour Emma,

Did you go up to http://www.myswissalps.com/rochersdenaye”>les Rochers-de-Naye last time you were in Montreux? In the description, they mention “stunning” views, and they definitely are so.

Depending on how long you are going to be staying in Montreux, you could also fit in the Glacier 3000. This is a very different experience so I recommend them both.

Furthermore, if your visit spans a number of days, you will be more able to get a good day for each of these excursions.

Have you been to Gruyères?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2020 at 1:33:10 #929965

Yes, see Emma’s last sentence 🙂

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    12 February 2020 at 1:42:18 #929966

Well, well, I guess that sentence was out of sight below the bottom of my screen. I must be more careful in future. Better stick to my laptop instead of my natel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2020 at 9:25:36 #929967

Hi all, thank you so much for your suggestions! I wonder which of these you think would best provide a view like the one in the photo I’ve attached? I really love this kind of image and would love to see one personally.

I am also thinking Zermatt might be good for this? Any help there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2020 at 13:24:29 #929968

Hi Emma,

From your picture Moleson came into my mind. I think you would like Moleson: http://www.moleson.ch/en/. It is very close to Gruyères, so you could also visit it (if you haven’t been there before).

Emosson Dam is also a good option and 1960man’s right, it is rarely mentioned although very beautiful. (A bit different than your picture though.)

Zermatt is also nice, and similar to what you are looking for: http://www.myswissalps.com/zermatt/activities. If you do not mind that far, have a look at Saas-fee: http://www.myswissalps.com/saasfee.

Ildiko

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2020 at 14:31:11 #929969

Hi Ildiko,

Moleson looks like a great choice. Beautiful scenery, fun things to do and near enough to montreux! I have been to gruyeres before to explore the castle and loved the surrounding area but didnt get to explore much. May return!

Thank you for your help!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2020 at 17:58:40 #929970

I am happy you like it. It is not a touristy place, this is I like it even more. Before your trip make sure to check their maintenance period, but as far as I remember they were closed in the last 2 years in November not in October.

Ildiko

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    13 February 2020 at 5:33:47 #929971

Hi Emma,

Your photo is taken at Grindelwald, in the Oberland Bernois. You would also like the view above Lauterbrunnen, which is very close by.

• The thread ‘Mountain day trips from Montreux in October’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.