Swiss mountain tops in operation in May?

• Srikanth_v
    Participant
    12 posts
    26 April 2018 at 6:54:14 #815541

hi

I am planning the following mountain top trips.Request you to pls let me know that transport services will be available on these dates.

1. 20th may 2018– mount titlis.. pls confirm if the rotair and the chair lift will be operational.

2. 22nd may 2018–Zermatt to matterhorn glacier paradise- schuttle service

3. 24th may 2018-interlaken to jungfraujoch : Train service from Interlaken Ost – Lauterbrunnen – Kleine Scheidegg – Top of Jungfraujoch

Also pls comment on the weather.. if heavy jackets and welligton boots required.

thx

srikanth

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2018 at 9:17:17 #883294

Hi Srikanth and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, all three trips are possible when you are traveling. Though I haven’t heard of this shuttle service on the Glacier Paradise/Klein Matterhorn. Do you mean getting from your hotel to the cable car?

I wouldn’t pack a heavy winter coat no. It may be quite cold at the mountain tops but the best idea is to dress in layers with a nice windbreaker on top. Check the weather for the mountains the day before to see what you can expect for temperatures and dress accordingly.

Rain or snow boots will not be required – good walking / hiking shoes are a good idea though.

Srikanth_v
    Participant
    12 posts
    26 April 2018 at 10:39:25 #883295

Dear Lucas

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

The shuttle service i mentioned by mistake.I think this is a trip on the mountain cable way.

Srikanth_v
    Participant
    12 posts
    30 April 2018 at 12:05:05 #883296

Dear Lucas

Thanks for supporting us with your replies.

Can you also give me an idea as to how much time it will take to reach the Matterhorn from zermatt.

How early do the services start? can we reach the Matterhorn to see the sunrise and what time the sun rises in these parts?

Typically how much time does one spend there and how much time it takes to return back to zermatt

reg

sriakanth

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 16:09:13 #883297

Hi Sriakanth,

Please use the timetable to pan your trip: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

By the way, you will not go to the Matterhorn. You probably want to look at Gornergrat and Klein Matterhorn – Glacier Paradise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2018 at 23:27:22 #883298

Hi srikanth,

>> 22nd may 2018–Zermatt … can we reach the Matterhorn to see the sunrise and what time the sun rises in these parts?

Sunrise on 22 May 2018 is around 5:43. The first train to the Gornergrat is at 7:00, and the first cableway departure to Klein Matterhorn/Glacier Paradise is at 8:43.

The special sunrise trips to the Gornergrat are available on Thursdays from 12 Jun until 23 Aug 2018.

http://www.gornergratbahn.ch/ en/summer/special-offers/sunrise-on-gornergrat/

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    30 April 2018 at 23:50:11 #883299

You won’t be able to get to Gornergrat by sunrise but you can still see sunrise on the mountain from parts of Zermatt. See flic.kr/p/qSEkvW.

Your hotel should be able to guide you.

Srikanth_v
    Participant
    12 posts
    2 May 2018 at 9:54:37 #883300

Dear Chantal

Thank you for the reply.You are correct, i will be going the Matterhorn glacier paradise.

However i would like to go to Gornergrat also if possible. Is it doable on the same day? Do i need to come back all the way to Zermatt from klein and then take a train to Gronergrat?

As per the SBB website the entry fee to Gornergat for an adult shows 98 chf whereas with Swiss half fare card shows 38 chf. Not clear if the rates with the Swiss travel pass is 49 chf or 38 chf. Would u be able to help me understand?

Appreciate your responses as always

Srikanth

Srikanth_v
    Participant
    12 posts
    2 May 2018 at 9:57:35 #883301

Dear Alpernrose

Thank you for the response.

I will be going to the glacier paradise and looks like i wont be able to see the sun rise as i will be unable to change my trip schedule

Maybe on my next trip to Switzerland

thx

Srikanth

Srikanth_v
    Participant
    12 posts
    2 May 2018 at 10:00:01 #883302

Dear Rockoyster

Thank you for the wonderful response.

Looks like i will have to miss the sunrise in the mountains.

But you have given me a good alternative.

I will check with the hotel on points inZermatt from where i can get a glimpse of the sun rise.

Thx again

Srikanth

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 May 2018 at 10:02:12 #883303

The full price round trip ticket from Zermatt to Gornergrat is CHF98 or CHF49 with STP or Swiss Half-fare Card. See http://www.zermatt.ch/en/Medi a/Tickets/Gornergrat-Ticket.

Make sure to set your alarm clock for that sunrise shot. 🤓

Srikanth_v
    Participant
    12 posts
    2 May 2018 at 10:49:34 #883304

Dear Rockoyster

Will do and if the picture comes out well I will post it here in the trip reports

thx

srikanth

Srikanth_v
    Participant
    12 posts
    2 May 2018 at 10:55:56 #883305

Hi

Can one of the experts let me know if the lift to the sphinx observatory from junfraujoch is covered under the same ticket or there is an additional charge.

Thx for the response in advance

Regards

Srikanth

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2018 at 11:07:39 #883306

No, there isn’t an extra charge for the observatory.

Srikanth_v
    Participant
    12 posts
    29 May 2018 at 7:56:13 #883307

dear Rockoyster

I set my alarm at 543 am and got this shot of the Matterhorn.

posting as promised

thx

srikanth

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 May 2018 at 8:12:48 #883308

Fantastic! That’s definitely a keeper Srikanth. So happy you got a clear morning. Thanks for reporting back. 😎

• The thread ‘Swiss mountain tops in operation in May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.