Mountain transport tickets from Wengen

• Willdenvally
    Participant
    34 posts
    6 July 2022 at 11:54:39 #827696

Hi

My wife and I will be holidaying in Switzerland during August 2022 and we will be in Wengen from 9 August to 13 August.

We hope to go to the following mountain sites; Jungfrau, Schilthorn and Grindelwald First.

I have noticed that you always suggest that one should check the weather before travelling to the mountain sites.

As August is such a busy holiday period my question is how long can we delay booking the various trains, cable cars etc. ,as the purpose of visiting the area is to go to Jungfrau, Schilthorn and Grindelwald First.

I do have the link to the weather website “meteoblue.com” where one can see the forecast for up to 14 days.

Kind Regards

William

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2022 at 17:32:53 #943994

Hi William,

I recommend the MeteoSwiss app. Indeed, you should always check the weather before your mountain trip. Weather in Switzerland can change in a minute – sometimes not even according to the forecasts. The forecasts are somewhat reliable for 2 to 3 days ahead of time.

In case you want to book your mountain trip in advance, I recommend booking it 1-2 days in advance, or you can buy your tickets on the spot too.

You can reserve your trips here:

If you have a Swiss rail pass, make sure to check the validity area, maybe your trips will be for free or discounted with your pass. Are you going to have a pass?

Make sure to read these too:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/weather
    http://www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast
    http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/websites

Ildiko

kim11
    Participant
    606 posts
    6 July 2022 at 20:35:56 #943995

Hi William,

The weather in the mountains here (I’m in Wengen now, our 27th trip here) is always highly unpredictable, even with the more reliable sites such as meteo swiss and meteo blue. Those sites do a pretty good job of predicting next two days trends (not more than that) but not hour to hour. Which is important when trying to determine when to do a Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn visit.

My advice would be to wait until early morning of your planned trip to buy your transport tickets for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. The Grindelwald to First gondolas run continually and not possible to book/reserve in advance.

I’ve heard that one can buy seat reservations for the Jungfrau ascent (the most busy of the ascents you are looking to do) in advance without buying the very expensive transport ticket but I don’t know how to do that. Perhaps Idiko or others of her expert co-workers could provide input?

Willdenvally
    Participant
    34 posts
    6 July 2022 at 22:27:39 #943996

Hi Everyone

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Kind Regards

William

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2022 at 22:51:11 #943997

Regardless of pressures of today’s tourism, it is still not obligatory to buy tickets in advance to the vast majority of ‘uphill transport’ in Switzerland, as all such transport modes work mainly on a ‘continuous supply of vehicles’ system. For technical reasons those which are trains (eg Jungfrau and Gornergrat) are less frequent than cable cars, and fixed (large cabin pair) cable cars are the next most frequent, the most frequent cable railways are the ‘gondola’ type where gondolas or chairs run on a constantly moving cable and you get on and off the cabins while they are still moving (at slow speed) in a station. Even on railways such as the Jungfrau, you will eventually get on a train even if you have to wait in a queue (line in US English!) for your turn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2022 at 8:21:30 #943998

Hi Kim11,

Yes, it is possible to reserve tickets to Jungfraujoch, without buying the tickets. You can do it here.

Take care and have a wonderful 27th stay in Wengen! 🙂

Ildiko

Willdenvally
    Participant
    34 posts
    7 July 2022 at 8:41:08 #943999

Hi Everyone

Once again thanks for your advices. They are most helpful.

Kind Regards

William

Michaelpgrif
    Participant
    7 posts
    8 July 2022 at 17:08:51 #944000

In addition to the advice already given, do a Google search for Jungfrau and Schilthorn Webcam, which will provide current views from the top. And remember, weather changes quickly, but better luck generally in early am (also beats crowds).

Willdenvally
    Participant
    34 posts
    8 July 2022 at 23:01:35 #944001

Thank you Michaelpgrif.

Kind Regards

William

• The thread ‘Mountain transport tickets from Wengen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.