About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum Mountain transport tickets from Wengen
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

Mountain transport tickets from Wengen

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Willdenvally
Willdenvally
32 posts
Jul 6, 2022 - 11:54 AM

Hi

My wife and I will be holidaying in Switzerland during August 2022 and we will be in Wengen from 9 August to 13 August.

We hope to go to the following mountain sites; Jungfrau, Schilthorn and Grindelwald First.

I have noticed that you always suggest that one should check the weather before travelling to the mountain sites.

As August is such a busy holiday period my question is how long can we delay booking the various trains, cable cars etc. ,as the purpose of visiting the area is to go to Jungfrau, Schilthorn and Grindelwald First.

I do have the link to the weather website "meteoblue.com" where one can see the forecast for up to 14 days.

Kind Regards

William

Ildiko
Ildiko
2128 posts
top member &
Jul 6, 2022 - 5:32 PM in reply to Willdenvally

Hi William,

I recommend the MeteoSwiss app. Indeed, you should always check the weather before your mountain trip. Weather in Switzerland can change in a minute - sometimes not even according to the forecasts. The forecasts are somewhat reliable for 2 to 3 days ahead of time.

In case you want to book your mountain trip in advance, I recommend booking it 1-2 days in advance, or you can buy your tickets on the spot too.

You can reserve your trips here:

If you have a Swiss rail pass, make sure to check the validity area, maybe your trips will be for free or discounted with your pass. Are you going to have a pass?

Make sure to read these too:
www.myswissalps.com/weather
www.myswissalps.com/weather/forecast
www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/websites

Ildiko

kim11
kim11
562 posts
top member
Jul 6, 2022 - 8:35 PM in reply to Ildiko

Hi William,

The weather in the mountains here (I'm in Wengen now, our 27th trip here) is always highly unpredictable, even with the more reliable sites such as meteo swiss and meteo blue. Those sites do a pretty good job of predicting next two days trends (not more than that) but not hour to hour. Which is important when trying to determine when to do a Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn visit.

My advice would be to wait until early morning of your planned trip to buy your transport tickets for Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn. The Grindelwald to First gondolas run continually and not possible to book/reserve in advance.

I've heard that one can buy seat reservations for the Jungfrau ascent (the most busy of the ascents you are looking to do) in advance without buying the very expensive transport ticket but I don't know how to do that. Perhaps Idiko or others of her expert co-workers could provide input?

Willdenvally
Willdenvally
32 posts
Jul 6, 2022 - 10:27 PM in reply to kim11

Hi Everyone

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Kind Regards

William

1960man
1960man
3787 posts
expert
Jul 6, 2022 - 10:51 PM in reply to Willdenvally

Regardless of pressures of today's tourism, it is still not obligatory to buy tickets in advance to the vast majority of 'uphill transport' in Switzerland, as all such transport modes work mainly on a 'continuous supply of vehicles' system. For technical reasons those which are trains (eg Jungfrau and Gornergrat) are less frequent than cable cars, and fixed (large cabin pair) cable cars are the next most frequent, the most frequent cable railways are the 'gondola' type where gondolas or chairs run on a constantly moving cable and you get on and off the cabins while they are still moving (at slow speed) in a station. Even on railways such as the Jungfrau, you will eventually get on a train even if you have to wait in a queue (line in US English!) for your turn.

Ildiko
Ildiko
2128 posts
top member &
Jul 7, 2022 - 8:21 AM in reply to kim11

Hi Kim11,

Yes, it is possible to reserve tickets to Jungfraujoch, without buying the tickets. You can do it here.

Take care and have a wonderful 27th stay in Wengen! :)

Ildiko

Willdenvally
Willdenvally
32 posts
Jul 7, 2022 - 8:41 AM in reply to Ildiko

Hi Everyone

Once again thanks for your advices. They are most helpful.

Kind Regards

William

Michaelpgrif
Michaelpgrif
7 posts
Jul 8, 2022 - 5:08 PM in reply to Willdenvally

In addition to the advice already given, do a Google search for Jungfrau and Schilthorn Webcam, which will provide current views from the top. And remember, weather changes quickly, but better luck generally in early am (also beats crowds).

Willdenvally
Willdenvally
32 posts
Jul 8, 2022 - 11:01 PM in reply to Michaelpgrif

Thank you Michaelpgrif.

Kind Regards

William

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022