Need base location advice for 4 nights

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2016 at 22:32:35 #809580

Hi,

our family (2 adults, 2 kids age 8 and 5) are planning to spend 4 nights in Switzerland July 29 th to Aug 2.

This is what we plan to do –

Day 1 – travel from Munich to Zurich by train in morning. Check-in in Zurich hotel (already booked for 2 nights) and go see Rhine falls in afternoon and see Zurich old town in eve.

Day 2 – travel from Zurich to Engelberg by train, and take cable car to Mt titlis. Have lunch up there and in laer half of the day see Lucerne city. Return to Zurich hotel in night

Day 3 – Checkout Zurich hotel, travel from Zurich to Geneva/Lausanne by train, check in hotel and in eve see that town/city

Day 4 – do the Maison Callier chocolate factory, Greyures cheese factory, castle and Golden pass scenic train to Montreax i read somewhere. Its all possible in a day if base is Geneva i read somewhere

Day 5 – checkout from hotel, return to Munich Germany by train.

Does this seem doable? We wanted to keep it relaxed. Also kids will enjoy chocolate and cheese factory.

What should we choose as our second base and still be able to do the chocolate factory trip? We could have also stayed in Interlaken but the chocolate factory is far from there. Any suggestions on how to improvise and see more things?

Also day after checkout we can still do something else in swiss? luggage and no car might make it hard. Also we are vegetarian, so cant experiment with small towns as might not find vegetarian food there.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2016 at 0:59:58 #853672

Hi aswisstrip-

I’d make my base for the first nights Luzern, rather than Zürich, unless you have definite and specific reasons that you want to stay in Zürich.

You’ll find Luzern much more interesting than Zürich for a first time quick visit.

Personally, and everyone’s opinion is different, I’d skip the Rhine Falls and substitute more time in Luzern.

My opinion is not common, but that is how I feel.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

http://www.myswissalps.com/rh inefalls

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2016 at 1:02:26 #853673

<<“Also we are vegetarian, so cant experiment with small towns as might not find vegetarian food there.”>>

That is not my impression. Every menu that I have seen in Switzerland, even at the sausage stands, has vegetarian options.

Perhaps Arno or Annika can amplify.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2016 at 1:10:42 #853674

<<” luggage and no car might make it hard. “>>

There are safe and reliable luggage transfer services available.

For some reason, they will not show up tonight for me on the SBB website.

This may help:

http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/practical/luggage

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2016 at 5:31:13 #853675

Thanks slowpoke for the insights and suggestions. I will check out Lucerne for first two nights.

For the later two days what can i chose as my base to do the Broc and Gruyeres factory tours, there is no particular reason to stay in Geneva. I was searching and Bern also seems like a good option. is it possible to stay in Bern and do a day trip via train to Maison Callier- Gruyeres – Montreaux via Golden pass scenic route and back to Bern in the same day? is it too hectic for young kids?

the factories are too far from Interlaken and we are not hiking or adventurous people..more like see the sights, attractions etc.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 July 2016 at 5:58:56 #853676

Hi aswisstrip,

Yes, that would be doable from Bern. You can check the timetable to see if you feel the trip is too long. There are various routes. One would be Bern – Broc-Fabrique – Gruyères – Montreux – Zweisimmen – Spiez – Bern. This includes a large section of the Golden Pass line, and the best part just before Montreux is included twice. Another route is Bern – Broc-Fabrique – Gruyères – Montreux – Vevey – Puidoux-Chexbres (short leg along the vineyards) – Palézieux – Bern, which includes the part before Montreux too.

Not having a car makes it easier actually. You are staying in larger towns and a car would rather be a hindrance. The only advantage would be that day 4 would most probably take less time, but you wouldn’t be able to include the Golden Pass train. Be sure to look into rail passes that fit your plans: myswissalps.com/ train/ticketspasses.

Vegetarian food won’t be hard to find: myswissalps.com/ aboutswitzerland/ culturehistory/ food. Quite some Swiss people and other Europeans including myself eat vegetarian food.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2016 at 8:17:55 #853677

Hi ASwisstrip.

Bern would be a good base. The routes suggested by Arno are both very nice rides.

Another option is Montreux. It is on the lake, which is nice.

http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

For no particular reason, but simply because I enjoy being in Bern, Bern is what I would choose.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 July 2016 at 12:30:51 #853678

Indeed Montreux would be wonderful too. In this case Bern has the advantage of being closer to the German border for the outbound ride to Munich the next day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2016 at 16:21:25 #853679

Thanks Arno for suggesting the scenic routes and confirming that Bern could be a good base.

The route option below seems interesting as i have read lots of good things about Vevey.

Bern – Broc-Fabrique – Gruyères – Montreux – Vevey – Puidoux-Chexbres (short leg along the vineyards) – Palézieux – Bern,

if we start around 8 from Bern, will we have enough time to see both Greyeres and Vevey towns? We will be going to the cheese factory in Greyeres and the castle, can we also hop off in Vevey and see the sights?

also this particular day trip will fall on Aug 1st monday and i read somewhere that its National holiday. The chocolate and cheese factory seem open. Will typically all shops restaurants be closed around our train route? I am assuming we can hop off hop on in between.

Thanks Slowpoke for your Montrex suggestion. I had considered that and Vevey as well but thought Bern is better for travel to Munich. we have to reach Munich by 9 pm so we have a whole day on day 5. Might see Bern city in the morning after checkout.

Also Interlaken is 45 min only from Bern, on day 3 we could stop at Interlaken while going to Bern. Can we keep luggage at interlaken station? What can be done in a couple of hours there?

Thanks a lot for all the valuable advice.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2016 at 19:04:41 #853680

Hi aswisstrip-

<<” if we start around 8 from Bern, will we have enough time to see both Greyeres and Vevey towns? We will be going to the cheese factory in Greyeres and the castle, can we also hop off in Vevey and see the sights? “>>

You can get those answers by working the timetable and checking a map. The name of the town is Gruyeres.

I do not recall any sites in Vevey that would justify a detour.

There are some in the mountains above:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/sunny-day-trip-around-lake-geneva-vevey

Arno gave you the link for the timetable.

Here is a good map. This map is particularly useful for Swiss travel, because of the information available from the menu choice of “Points of Interest/Traffic.”

map.search.ch/

<<” also this particular day trip will fall on Aug 1st monday and i read somewhere that its National holiday. The chocolate and cheese factory seem open. Will typically all shops restaurants be closed around our train route? I am assuming we can hop off hop on in between.”>>

You have raised a good point. I have traveled around Switzerland on August 1, and found, especially in the smaller towns and villages, that everything was closed. Hard to even find a sandwich. Big cities are likely to be OK, and places with heavy tourist traffic , as well.

Arno and Annika might have a better perspective than I….it has been a long , long time since I went to Switzerland at the height of the tourist season in August.

<<“Thanks Slowpoke for your Montrex suggestion. I had considered that and Vevey as well but thought Bern is better for travel to Munich. “>>

<<” Agreed. I only mentioned in case you had not considered it. “>>

<<“Might see Bern city in the morning after checkout.”>>

It is a lot more attractive city for a quick tour, in my eyes, than is München. The old town is not terribly large, and is very attractive. No equivalent of the Victualienmarkt, but plenty of places to grab a bite, and the Old Tram Depot near the Nydeggbrücke could be a substitute.

<<“Also Interlaken is 45 min only from Bern, on day 3 we could stop at Interlaken while going to Bern. Can we keep luggage at interlaken station? What can be done in a couple of hours there?”>>

If you go from Luzern to Bern, it takes 1 hour on the fastest trains, 1 hour and a half or so on the other frequent trains.

If you go from Luzern to Interlaken to Bern, without stopping, it takes 2 hours and 47 minutes.

Interlaken has very little to attract a tourist, other than accommodations and a good set of rail connections.

http://www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

To see anything really special and worth the detour, you need to go to Grindelwald or (my favorite) Wengen , which adds a half an hour or 45 minutes each way. A ride up to Schynige Platte from Wilderswill might be considered, but it is time consuming. Might check Harder Kulm….I have not been there.

Use that map. Zoom in a lot.

We are now daling with personal opinions, and others may feel differently. If so, I’m sure thatthey will comment. 😉

Slowpoke

Annika
    7103 posts
    1 July 2016 at 21:11:49 #853681

Vevey is quite nice, but small. You have to know what you’re looking for. The lakefront and boulevard allow for a relaxed stroll. The Rue du Lac is the prettiest street I would say. There are a couple of museums, including a brand New Charley Chaplin museum.

All tourist attractions will be open on August 1, and public transport is fully functioning. Most shops will be closed. I’m not sure about restaurants. Some might be closed so the staff can celebrate the day with family. You’ll have to check if you have a particular restaurant in mind.

• The thread ‘Need base location advice for 4 nights’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.