Weather and driving during trip in June 2017

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2017 at 4:58:30 #811574

Hi all,this is my second trip to Switzerland.The last time i visited was in September 2013.This trip is with my 2yr old daughter.I chose June 2017 thinking its early summer and won’t be that chill.I m travelling from India on June1st and arrivint at Zurich and have plans to go to Lucerne and Interlaken.These are my bases.So i need help on what to expect in terms of weather.Also is it safe to drive in June,i plan to drive from Zurich To Lucerne and then Lucerne to Interlaken as i got more luggage like stroller etc.Actually i got so many questions,sorry for that but i want to go fully planned as going with my baby.My trip dates are 1 June to 12th June.Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 April 2017 at 13:55:05 #862327

Hi Mona85, thanks for joining us!

Great that you get to visit Switzerland again. Weather for any period is very hard to predict and I can’t tell what June will be like. If you’re lucky you’ll have very nice early summer weather. However, it can be rainy and a bit chilly too. Please refer to myswissalps.com/weathe r for more information and links.

Yes, driving is relatively safe in June, but you’ll most probably cross the Brünig Pass between Lucerne and Interlaken and that does require some special skills – it’s not the most challenging pass though. Our car section provides further information: myswissalps.com/car.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 5:32:23 #862328

Thanks for the reply Annika.Is their enough time between trains so that i can board the train with my luggage?The last time i had jUST 2 bags and this time 4 as i am travelling with my baby.If i happen to not go for the car option would i get the time to get inside without any hurry hassle?Read about the sbb luggage transfer services too but not sure about that option as losing the luggage is a nightmare 🙁

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 6:34:38 #862329

Hi Mona,

Train connection times vary depending on the station. Some smaller stations (one or two tracks) may only have a few minutes scheduled but they are aware people have luggage and in those cases you only have to walk 10 feet or so. Bigger stations and international connections give you more time to connect.

When you check train schedules for any train it will give you connection times if required for your trip.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 6:54:43 #862330

Thanks Lucas.I would have the luggage with me only between Zurich- Lucerne and Lucerne-Interlaken journeys to and fro.And i guess these both are the big stations.Would check the time between trains to get an idea about the time interval.Can you tell me about the driving route between Zurich to Lucerne in case i rent a car.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 11:14:23 #862331

Do you mean Zurich to Interlaken via Lucerne? Or just to and from each town (as there are many direct trains with no changes between those towns.

I haven’t driven to Lucerne from Zurich but there are no mountain passes in the area and it is about 45 minutes.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 April 2017 at 12:03:56 #862332

No Lucas i just want to drive from Zurich city to Lucerne.So about this route i want to know.If the road is flat i would definately go for this.The last time i have experienced all journeys via train and many suggest further from Interlaken it would be hilly to drive so i will drive from Zurich to Lucerne.I got a stay of 3days in Lucerne.

Arno
    15484 posts
    29 April 2017 at 6:58:25 #862333

Hi Mona85,

The road from Zurich to Lucerne is flat. It can be busy and traffic jams are possible during rush hours or construction works. By train it’s an easy direct ride. Luggage can be sent ahead as explained here. It works fine; I would make use of it if luggage is your only reason to consider to rent a car. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of lost luggage through that service, and insurance is included. But of course there always is a minor risk. The risk of driving in a foreign country and towns you’re not familiar with is greater I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 6:19:14 #862334

Thanks Arno,that was helpful.Only about the luggage i have issues.Would be looking at the transfer options.

• The thread ‘Weather and driving during trip in June 2017’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.