Need help with Swiss Pass decision for 5-day Trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2013 at 5:15:52 #806086

Hi,
    My wife, myself (both in 30s) and 5-year-old son will be travelling to Switzerland in less than two weeks’ time to Switzerland:

Day 1: Freiburg (Germany) to Wengen (via Basel)
    Day 2 to Day 4 (staying in Wengen): Hiking trips and train rides to Brienz, Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald
    Day 5: Wengen to Zurich Airport

We couldn’t decide which is the cheapest option for us, a 4-Day Swiss Saver Pass (plus either Day 1 or Day 5 single-trip train ticket) or a 5-Day Swiss Saver Flexipass, or other options we can have.

Please kindly advise! Also, we are from Singapore but currently staying in Germany. What is the best way to buy the pass? Is it convenient to buy it at Basel Train Station?

Thank you very much! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 July 2013 at 8:32:28 #838996

Hi wavesurfer,

It looks like you’ll have long transfers from the Swiss border to Wengen, and from Wengen to the airport, but the remaining trips are short. Therefore I would recommend to get two Swiss Cards. Both transfers will be free, and further regional trips will be discounted by 50%. Your son will travel along for free with the free Swiss Family Card.

You can arrange for the Swiss Card in Basel, but I would suggest to order it in advance so that you don’t need to spend time on it there or even stay seated in the train from Germany. You can get the Swiss Card and the Swiss Family Card through the webshop of the Swiss Railways. It will be delivered to any address in Germany in 8 working days.

Enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 July 2013 at 4:42:27 #838997

Hi again,

I just noticed that I may not be able to get free train rides in the Jungfrau Region Railways, such as between Wengen/Lauterbrunnen/Grindelwald? Does it mean I will only be able to get a 50% discounts on these journeys using a Swiss Card and 25% on a Swiss Pass or Flexipass?

If this is the case, how do I travel from, say, Wengen (we will be staying there) to Luzern/Brienz/Interlaken/Kleine Scheidegg (round trips). What would be covered, and what would be not?

Thanks!

Arno
    15484 posts
    4 July 2013 at 15:09:38 #838998

Hi wavesurfer,

You can download the map from the Swiss Card page to see what’s covered. If you prefer free traveling you can additionally get a Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland (which will be discounted by CHF 55 per person if you also have a Swiss Card). You can get both passes, including the mentioned discount, through the Swiss Railways webshop.

• The thread ‘Need help with Swiss Pass decision for 5-day Trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.