Need suggestions on my 5 days trip!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2012 at 9:49:27 #805004

Hello,

I’m from Thailand and I found this webboard really informative so I want some suggestions for the trip with my friends (4 including me) around the first week of May.

We are coming in from France and very interested in Swiss Pass promotion. Here is what i planned

– 1st day
    Arrive Bern in the morning. Have a walk in old town.
    Thun lake cruise to Interlaken
    Stay in Lauterbrunnen

– 2nd day
    Schilthorn (If the weater is clear)
    Take the Glacier Express from Brig to Zermatt
    Stay in Zermatt

– 3rd day
    Ride the Gornergrat
    Spend another night in Zermatt?

– 4th day
    Take the train back to Interlaken
    Take the Golden Pass train to Luzern
    Take the train to Zurich and Stay there

– 5th day
    Free time in Zurich and catch the plane back to Bangkok

My questions is
    1.Is this plan too hectic?
    2.Will we spend too much time in Zermatt? Should I go somewhere else?
    3.What should we do with our luggages since we have to travel around the country?
    4.Is youth hostel recommended? Or it’s too far from each city.

ps. sorry if there’s some bad English. It’s not my native language.

Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2012 at 12:06:33 #835124

I’m sorry I’ve just read that there’s only one Glacier Express daily so it seems like I have to cross it off my list. 🙁

Annika
    7103 posts
    11 March 2012 at 9:25:19 #835125

Hi Witchapas, and welcome! I don’t think your itinerary is too hectic, although some days will be quite full. You can check traveling times using the timetable, and try to estimate whether the traveling times indicated are acceptable for you. Zermatt is wonderful, and you absolutely won’t get bored there.

Youth hostels are an option indeed. You’ll also find affordable and centrally located hotels at this website in Interlaken and its surroundings (you can search for Lauterbrunnen as well), Zermatt, Zurich centre and the surroundings of Zurich Airport.

You’re right, there’s only one Glacier Express each day. But don’t worry: regular regional trains between Brig and Zermatt ride the exact same route, so you won’t have to miss out on beautiful views. If scenic train rides appeal to you and there’s enough time by the end of day 2, you should travel from Lauterbrunnen to Brig not by the quick tunnel connection indicated by the timetable, but by the Lötschberg RegioExpress that crosses Kandersteg and Goppenstein. Just enter ‘Goppenstein’ as your via-station for details on this connection.

I indeed suggest that you consider the 2 for 1 Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, using free travel days for day 1, day 2, day 4 and day 5 (and a 50% discount on day 3).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 March 2012 at 9:43:54 #835126

Thank you for your answer. It’s certainly helpful. Now I’m considering coming back to stay in Lauterbrunnen on the third night and might stay in Lauterbrunnen in the second night also. What is your opinion? Can we be able to do the scenic route you mentioned, ride the Gornergrat, have some free time in Zermatt and ride the train back to Lauterbrunnen in one day? or should we spend the second night in Zermatt?

Annika
    7103 posts
    12 March 2012 at 12:43:23 #835127

Hi Witchapas. You’ll manage to make a day trip to Zermatt via this scenic route and return to Lauterbrunnen the same evening, but that will be a long day. You can best consult the timetable to find out whether you prefer a late return to Lauterbrunnen or an overnight stay in Zermatt.

• The thread ‘Need suggestions on my 5 days trip!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.