Nov 17, 2016 - 12:30 AM
Any help much appreciated...
We are taking our two kids (6 and 10) to Europe for 4 weeks from Dec 5th and need some help determine when to use a car and when to catch the train. We want the kids to experience great train rides but balance it with being able to get to smaller places with a car however appreciate it is going to be snowing in some places and we are not experienced drivers in these conditions.
- Zurich - 1 night
- Gersau (near Brunnen) - 2 nights - thinking train Zurich to Lucerne then hire a care to have in Gersau and return in Lucerne before train to Engelberg
- Engelberg - 3 nights then train to Biel
- Jens (near Biel) - 2 nights- hire a car in Biel
- Colmar - 2 nights train or car from Biel
- Gerbamont (near Vagney/La Bresse) - 3 nights - hire a car in Colmar to use in Gerbamont
- Freiburg - 3 nights with friends then train to Konstanz
- Konstanz - 4 nights with friends then train to St Moritz then hire a car? Is this crazy?
- Chiavenna - 3 nights with hire car then drive to Castello
- Castello (near Lugano) - 3 nights with car
Two days not allocated yet with hire car dropping off at Milan airport
Milan airport hotel before departing
Im not sure if hiring a car so many short stints is a good idea.
Do kids travel free on Swiss rail? Do I need t book any of these rail trips ahead? Any tips on which rail pass to get?
I really appreciate any input on this
Thanks very much