Not sure where to train and where to drive – help!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 November 2016 at 0:30:43 #810362

Hello all,

Any help much appreciated…

We are taking our two kids (6 and 10) to Europe for 4 weeks from Dec 5th and need some help determine when to use a car and when to catch the train. We want the kids to experience great train rides but balance it with being able to get to smaller places with a car however appreciate it is going to be snowing in some places and we are not experienced drivers in these conditions.

• Zurich – 1 night
    • Gersau (near Brunnen) – 2 nights – thinking train Zurich to Lucerne then hire a care to have in Gersau and return in Lucerne before train to Engelberg
    • Engelberg – 3 nights then train to Biel
    • Jens (near Biel) – 2 nights- hire a car in Biel
    • Colmar – 2 nights train or car from Biel
    • Gerbamont (near Vagney/La Bresse) – 3 nights – hire a car in Colmar to use in Gerbamont
    • Freiburg – 3 nights with friends then train to Konstanz
    • Konstanz – 4 nights with friends then train to St Moritz then hire a car? Is this crazy?
    • Chiavenna – 3 nights with hire car then drive to Castello
    • Castello (near Lugano) – 3 nights with car

Two days not allocated yet with hire car dropping off at Milan airport

Milan airport hotel before departing

Im not sure if hiring a car so many short stints is a good idea.

Do kids travel free on Swiss rail? Do I need t book any of these rail trips ahead? Any tips on which rail pass to get?

I really appreciate any input on this

Thanks very much

Tosha

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 November 2016 at 1:43:34 #857116

Hi Tosha –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Can’t help with the part of your trip outside Switzerland.

In Switzerland, you won’t need a car to do what you describe.

Use the timetable…

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It would be convenient in Jens, but far from necessary. Buses to/from Biel run once per hour. Same for Gersau – car would be convenient but not necessary. Public transport one or two times per hour via various multistop routes from Zürich. Good bus and some boat service.

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/fil eadmin/lakelucerne/con tent/Dokumente_Downloa ds_PDF/01_Fahrplan-Preise/01_Fahrplan/Sai sonaler_Fahrplan/2017/ 2017_Fahrplan_Winter.p df

Have you considered Weggis or Vitznau?

Since you are not accustomed to driving on snowy, icy and slippery roads, I’d suggest you keep your driving to low altitudes..such as around Lake Lucerne. Not Engelberg. Good train service there, by the way.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 November 2016 at 21:35:57 #857118

Thank you both for your help. Ill check this out.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 November 2016 at 22:57:42 #857119

Hi Tosha-

Let us know if you need help with teh time table. It has a lot of layers.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2016 at 0:32:04 #857120

Thank you Slowpoke. I have a headache looking at all of this1 I think we are going to go wiht the Swiss Travel Pass Flex for 4 days. Do you know if this covers the cable car and Rotair to Mt Titlis as we are doing this from Engelberg

Thanks very much

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 November 2016 at 1:24:45 #857121

Hi Tosha-

You said –

<<“I really appreciate any input on this”>>

We have started on that. 😉

<<“I have a headache looking at all of this”>>

Sorry about the headache. Once you have a some experience with the trains, you will realize that the rail system has so many options that you will be better off if you figure out how to use it. The timetable, and a map, are quite helpful.

Arno and Annika are the experts on rail passes. I do not understand the subtleties.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 November 2016 at 11:02:55 #857122

Hi Tosha,

The trip you mentioned is 50% off with the pass. You’ll find all details about the pass on the Swiss Travel Pass Flex page. I recommend to download the map from there to see what’s included.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 November 2016 at 19:39:03 #857123

Ok I have received our Swiss Travel Pass Flex and the family passes for the kids all very efficiently thankyou for your suggestions. Our longest day will be train Kreuzlingen to St Moritz then the Postbus to Chiavenna on Dec 26th. The timetable is not up yet for this date. Is it usually full services or reduced departures for dec 26th? Thanks!

Arno
    15471 posts
    24 November 2016 at 9:04:29 #857124

Glad to hear you’re all set now! The timetable should be up to date until December 9, 2017. I didn’t see any issues while checking your trip. It’s a wonderful ride, particularly from Zurich, and even more so beyond Chur/Thusis. Be sure to leave early enough so you’ll arrive in day light. Schedules on December 26 should not be much different from any other day.

• The thread ‘Not sure where to train and where to drive – help!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.