Mountain excursion from Interlaken, Nov 8th

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2019 at 20:40:56 #824401

Hello all,

We are currently in Interlaken.

Had earlier planned to go to Titlis but we found out that Rotair is closed until mid month.

Similar closure for Mt. Pilatus and even Mt. Rigi we were told it snowed last night so it was closed.

So we have been unable to do any mountain visit.

We have 1 day in Interlaken i.e. tomorrow and want to visit a mountain. Is it worth to go mid station to Titlis (we were told there is a lake and some sightseeing but unable to gather much information or review about it being worthwhile) or is there any other mountain nearby we can do tomorrow in half a day?

Jungfrau we are told is a long duration round trip from Interlaken and would take the whole day – continuing our onboard travel plans the next day without much rest would be exhausting. Travelling with my parents who are 60+ and they need to travel at their own pace.

Zermatt is quite far from here so Matterhorn seems ruled out.

Was planning to go briefly to Harder Kulm as an option. Does any one know what activities are there? But our trip would be incomplete without doing a big mountain excursion – sadly our trip coincides with closures.

Any prompt responses would be greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 November 2019 at 21:45:14 #924809

Schilthorn? http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn

For Harder Kulm (which is just a large hill in relative terms) see http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/harder-kulm/.

You can reach Pilatus via cog-wheel from Alpnachstad but the round trip from Interlaken would take longer than Jungfraujoch.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 November 2019 at 2:23:16 #924810

By the way, you can reach Jungfraujoch from Interlaken in a little over 2 hours so you could count on about a 6 hour excursion there and back with a couple of hours up top: https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfraujoch/get tingthere. Would definitely take longer to get to Titlis or Pilatus or Rigi. You can go up via Grindelwald and down via Wengen for a great round trip. If the weather looks good and your budget will stretch to it (see pricelist) then go for it.

Also note “Interlaken Ost – Zweilütschinen – Lauterbrunnen line not operating due to construction work until 6 December 2019. Substitute rail buses will operate. Travellers from and to Grindelwald change trains in Zweilütschinen. Lauterbrunnen – Mürren line closed until 8 November due to maintenance work.” from http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2019 at 3:57:43 #924811

Thank you for your quick responses.

Forgot to add we have a car so getting around to Titlis or Pilatus or anywhere with an one way average road journey time of around an hour is manageable. Pilatus and Titlis are both an hour from interlaken one way via car.

Thats the least travel we would have to do.

Considering that is it recommended to go to mid station Titlis or Pilatus and what all can one expect there – which is better recommended?

Or any other recommendation with a round trip car journey time of 2 hours?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 November 2019 at 3:59:06 #924812

A six hour journey time would be a little much for my parents pace as we have to travel onward so Jungfrau seems a bit out of reach.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 November 2019 at 4:06:35 #924813

Hmmm, having a car is a vital piece of information I was missing. 😉

I’ve never actually been to Titlis so I have no idea what’s at the mid station. But I would say Pilatus would be a better choice if you can’t get to the top at Titlis.

Why not drive to Stechelberg and do Schilthorn. You get a fantastic view of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau from up there if the weather is favourable. Better than the view from Jungfraujoch some say.

Another alternative is to drive round to Beatenbucht on the northern shore of Lake Thun and take the funicular/cableway to Niederhorn. You get great views over the lakes and towards the Alps up there.

Anna
    6382 posts
    8 November 2019 at 7:04:05 #924814

Hi KJ909,

It is forecast to snow in the mountains today. I agree with rockoyster, Pilatus would be a safe choice instead of driving to Engelberg (Titlis) unless you are pretty confident driving in the mountains. Currently Pilatus is accessible only via the cogwheel train from Alpnachstad, about 1 hour drive from Interlaken. The cogwheel train is expected to run as usual. Please check the timetable and the live webcam before you go.

Another option is Stanserhorn, accessible by funicular and cable car from Stans. It is operational until 17th November. If you have time or in case the weather becomes less favourable, you can combine your mountain excursion with a trip to Lucerne nearby.

Best regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Mountain excursion from Interlaken, Nov 8th’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.