Which rail pass for Switzerland, Italy and Spain?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2016 at 1:24:55 #809935

I have been reading a lot of the forum replies and while very helpful I finally decided to try my own questions. My mother, 86 wants to do a trip to Switzerland, Italy and Spain. My brother & wife and my husband and I are flying with her to Geneva October 17th arrive the 18th….We plan a couple days there and then to Lucern on Oct.20th. We plan to use that as our base to see what we can see. Day trips to Interlaken(and whatever is suggested)……..We then will travel by train from Lucern to Venice on October 24. Then we will travel to Rome and surrounding areas then fly to Barcelona, Spain November 3rd. I am looking at Rail passes and then what is good for Switzerland.

My first question is about rail passes that would be the best for travel in those countries but also for getting around in Switzerland?

Then what day trips do you suggest from Lucern that won’t be too tiring for my mom? Scenic?

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    19 August 2016 at 11:29:12 #855312

Thanks for joining our website Lswhite53!

A Eurail Select Pass for Switzerland, Italy and Spain might work, and you will get an extra day of traveling if you order before September 30: myswissalps.com/ eurailselectpass/ promotions. Price wise, the only way to tell for sure which pass is best is to list all your trips and do the math: myswissalps.com/ train/ticketspasses/ practical/chooserailpa ss. You may not need a pass for Italy, for example, because point to point tickets are much cheaper there than in Switzerland. In that case an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass could be a good fit for the Swiss part of the trip: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass.

Although there is a lot you can do in and from Geneva, I would personally prefer to stay in Montreux or Lausanne: closer to the Alps. Please explore the options yourself:

Then take the Golden Pass line to Lucerne. Plenty to do there as well: myswissalps.com/ lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2016 at 1:03:26 #855313

thanks for your help. We decided to get the Eurail three country pass one extra travel day……We are only staying two days in Geneva and going to Lucern as our base, from October 20 to 24th. What is the best one day trip at that time of year? Also, in general what is the weather like the end of October? Clothing wise what should we bring?

Do you have favorite places to see in Lucern?

thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    30 August 2016 at 7:50:40 #855314

Great! Please see here for pass purchase options.

Please find recommended activities on the Geneva and Lucerne pages. You may want to combine a boat ride (free with your pass) with a trip to Mount Rigi. All details are on the pages I linked to. As for the weather and clothing, please see:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 August 2016 at 15:45:49 #855315

Thanks for pass info

We will leave Lucern for Venice

I was looking at this and my only problem is making the 6 minute transfer in Arth-Goldau. They say it is just across the platform but with luggage? There are the five of us but mom is in wheel chair and all luggage. Can we get help to change trains?

thanks

Arno
    15484 posts
    31 August 2016 at 8:35:58 #855316

Hi Lswhite53,

Six minutes is enough, but in your case you can consider to take one train earlier to Arth-Goldau to have a relaxed change. There are services for handicapped travelers, please have a look here: http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/passengers-with-reduced-mobility.html.

• The thread ‘Which rail pass for Switzerland, Italy and Spain?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.