Getting to Pilatus from Morschach

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 15:02:28 #816200

I will be staying in Morschach next week, but would like to spend a day in Luzern and possibly explore Mt. Pilatus. What is the best way to travel to Lucerne and Pilatus from Morschach/Swiss Holiday Park?

I also have the Swiss Travel Pass — it looks like some, but not all, of Pilatus is covered by that. Can someone please clarify what I should expect to pay for and what is free with the pass?

Finally — the weather forecast is calling for rain/thunderstorms. Will that affect any of the train or boat operations?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 15:18:17 #886195

Hi Akapp,

You can use the timetable (https://www.myswissalp s.com/timetable) to plan the trip from your address to Pilatus. It shows you the most direct routes by default.

The Swiss Travel Pass will cover your trip entirely to Alpnachstand or Kriens (to ways to get to Pilatus – read more here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/pilatus/gettingt here).

Essentially the trip up and down the mountain itself (by cogwheel train from Alpnachstad or cable car from Kriens) is 50% off with your Swiss Travel Pass.

Prices for the trip can be found on the timetable as well (the price you first see is for Swiss Half Fare Card holders so double it for the regular fare that you can then discount 50% for your STP discount).

I suppose a very severe thunderstorm could impact the boat or cable cars….

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 May 2018 at 19:22:23 #886196

Hi Akapp –

<<“I will be staying in Morschach next week, but would like to spend a day in Luzern and possibly explore Mt. Pilatus. What is the best way to travel to Lucerne and Pilatus from Morschach/Swiss Holiday Park?”>>

What does “best” mean? Fastest? Most scenic? Cheapest?

Take the bus to Brunnen. Probably, you’ll want the train to Luzern, but the boat from Brunnen may be of interest.

Cable cars are careful in thunderstorms. They do not usually affect the lake boats.

Any weather forecast that far in advance is unreliable.

This site is pretty good…but, even yesterday, on the Rigi, it changed from a day or so.

http://www.meteocentrale.ch/e n/europe/switzerland/w eather-lucerne/details/N-3515415/#2018-05-25

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2018 at 20:05:46 #886197

Thanks! That’s a good question.. I don’t know what I mean by “best” 🙂 I have the Swiss Travel Pass so price is not a concern. I think I’d like to experience a boat ride so I will look into that from Brunnen!

• The thread ‘Getting to Pilatus from Morschach’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.