Bernese Oberland Pass to Mt Pilatus?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 0:47:11 #814397

Is it possible to travel to Pilatus from Lucerne on the Bernese Oberland Regional Pass. Does it cover the boat to Alpnachstad or the train? Are the cable cars etc included to Pilatus??

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 1:04:12 #876519

Hello twiggytour and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you look at the validity map fro the BO Pass here http://www.myswissalps.com/re gionalpassberneseoberl and/validity you will see that the boat routes on Lake Lucerne are coloured grey which means the regional pass is not valid.

The train Lucerne to Alpnachstad is covered.

The cog-wheel and cable cars to Pilatus are not covered.

When are you travelling. The cog-wheel from Alpnachstad does not run all year.

If you outline what your overall itinerary is then we may be able to offer some advice on the most suitable pass for you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 5:00:50 #876520

My plan is to fly into Zurich from London, then get the train directly to Lucerne. (I have been to Lucerne before). This trip I want to go to Pilatus & Titlis from Lucerne. Three nights in Lucerne.

Golden Pass train to Interlaken (maybe boat from Brienz to Interlaken). Return boat trip to Thun. 2 nights in Interlaken.

Train from Interlaken to Schilthorn via Murren & Lauterbrunnen. Train to Wengan & stay overnight.

Train from Wengan to Jungfraujoch for the day. Train back to Interlaken & stay overnight.

Train from Interlaken to Zurich. stay overnight then fly out.

I know I will need to pay for the train from Zurich to Lucerne & Interlaken back to Zurich but I believe most of the rest of the trip is covered by the Berner Overland Regional Pass. I know there is an extra 25% & 50% payments for small legs on the Titlus & Jungfraujoch trips but overall I think this might be the cheapest pass for this trip. Whats your view?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 5:02:35 #876521

We will arrive in Zurich on 12th September & will have total of 8 nights in Switzerland.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 5:26:18 #876522

Hi twiggytour,

Thanks for sharing your plans. September should be nice and everything will be open and operating.

Shifting hotels between Wengen and Interlaken could be a bit disruptive. You lose time packing/unpacking and checking in/out. Wengen is a beautiful place to stay. Interlaken not so much apart from being a handy transport hub.

You may well have the right pass. You probably know this already but before you can be sure which pass suits your travel plans you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. You can use the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to buy a ticket the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With A Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the Area of Validity map ( PDF downloadable from http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity).

You might look at combining the Tell Pass with the BO or Jungfrau Travel Pass.

Seeing you are going to Schilthorn, from Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look.

Have a great trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 5:30:51 #876523

Great idea to combine Tell- Pass & Berner Oberland Pass. I’ll do my sums! Thank you for your help.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 5:34:52 #876524

Don’t leave an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass out of the equation. May not result in most savings but unbeatable for convenience. Buy on-line in advance, step off the plane, hop on the train and go. At CHF50/day it definitely warrants consideration. 🤓

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 6:00:31 #876525

I agree the 8 day Swiss travel card looks good. It is really hard to work out the difference in cost between the passes. The Swiss Travel card doesn’t include the mountain railways or cable cars – they are 50% discounted, but I don’t know how much the cable cars cost so difficult to compare prices. Possibly not at lot in the cost between the passes but the Swiss Travel card might be more convenient .

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 6:10:37 #876526

STP covers up to Wengen and that whole Schilthorn circuit I mentioned before.

You can get cable car fares using the SBB Timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 6:15:20 #876527

thank you so much for all your help. Where would you recommend we stay overnight when we leave Joungraujoch? We have to get to Zurich the next day.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 February 2018 at 20:27:13 #876528

Is this question in response to my comment about swapping between Interlaken and Wengen? If so I just meant you are probably better having one base. Either Interlaken or Wengen. Personal preference of course.

• The thread ‘Bernese Oberland Pass to Mt Pilatus?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.