Help with my Switzerland itinerary – 13 days June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 16:02:16 #814767

Hello all,

Planning a switzerland trip in June 9-22. So, in brief, staying 9-11 at Zurich, 11-15 at Interlaken. Now I am confused about the next days. We are planning to shift to montreux on 15th and visiting Geneva, chocolate train, Chillon Castle etc. We would also like to visit Zermatt and then travel to chur on 18th. From Chur, we will move to Luzern on 20th, and flying back to India on 22nd. So suggest me, will this itinerary be very hectic? If I want to skip any, which one should I? Montreux Zermatt or Chur? Planning to take Swiss pass, so will depend on public transport

Thanks

Binu

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 19:58:40 #878796

Hi Binu and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would make some adjustments to the order of your itinerary and I wouldn’t bother visiting Geneva. Montreux is nice if you have the time. Try something like this:

1. Arrive and Go straight to Luzern (2-3 nights)
    2. Interlaken – or better yet Grindelwald or Wengen (3-4 nights)
    3. Montreux (1 or 2 nights)
    4. Zermatt (2 nights)
    5. Chur (0 or 1 night)
    6. Zurich (0 or 1 night)

Picking where to stay longer and where to cut out just depends on what you want to see and do. Most people are focused on the mountains and outdoors of Switzerland. My suggestions above take better advantage of this. But if you really want to see Zurich or Geneva you certainly can fit it in.

You can find more details on the Swiss Travel Pass, including where it is valid and how to buy it here.
    You can plan out all your trips on public transport on the Swiss railways timetable here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 1:01:19 #878797

Thank you Lucas for ur prompt reply. Since our flight lands at Zurich on 9th June 8 pm, we think better to stay nearby to airport. And we can visit Rhine falls on 10th. That’s why we have planned 2 nights at Zurich

Regards

Binu

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 8:03:27 #878798

That’s totally fair for staying in Zurich then.

You could do the Rhein Fall on the next day and in the evening head to Lucerne. Perhaps then Zurich again on your last night (depending on flight times).

It is a very lovely city but for first-timers wanting to see the landscapes of Switzerland we usually recommend not spending too much of your time there. There is lots to do though if you do end up there for 2 or 3 nights overall.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 8:06:35 #878799

Thanks Lucas. Want to travel to Chamonix from Montreux. Is the trip worth? I guess it takes a whole day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 12:18:28 #878800

>> Want to travel to Chamonix from Montreux. Is the trip worth? I guess it takes a whole day.

Montreux to Chamonix-Mont-Blanc via Martigny and Vallorcine takes 2 hours each way. From Martigny to Chamonix is the Mont-Blanc Express scenic route, fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, including the sector within France.

Chamonix is a beautiful town surrounded by mountains, and the trip there is scenic, but whether or not the trip is worth it depends on personal preferences and what you would be giving up to make this trip. You are the best judge of that.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 12:22:04 #878801

Yes, I haven’t done that trip so I can’t give you any personal advice on the matter. As Alpenrose notes, it is all about personal preference and what you give up to do it – can’t do everything! 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2018 at 15:56:53 #878802

Thanks again Lucas and Alpenrose

madduris2000
    Participant
    32 posts
    17 March 2018 at 8:16:29 #878803

Hi,

Your choice of places is nice. I suggest you stay a day or two at leisure in villages enroute to famous peaks like Jungfrau or Matterhorne to enjoy walks through country side. Many mountain railways have foot paths close to them and it is fun to hike there.

Swiss pass is of course a great convenience . Remember, Swiss rail allows you to book your luggage through to any destination to be collected by at that station, in case you want to visit enroute stations by hopping trains.By the way, I do not know whether you considered travelling by premium Swiss trains like Glacier Express etc

Have a fantastic trip

Regards

Sundar Ram Madduri

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 March 2018 at 10:16:14 #878804

Thank you Sundar . Yes, Glacier express too is in our bucket list

• The thread ‘Help with my Switzerland itinerary – 13 days June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.