Please review my trip to switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2011 at 4:57:47 #804732

Hi ,

Me and my husband are from India but have come to denmark for 3 months . We are planning to go to Switzerland on Sept 24, 2011, our current plan is as below
    Day 1: Sept 24th:
    1) Travel from Copenhagen(Denmark) to Zurich: Reach Zurich by 10:00 AM
    2)Keep luggage in Zurich station and Roam Zurich City by walk for 3-4 hours
    3)Travel to visit Rhine Falls (please let me know which train to catch and which station to get down)
    4) Back to Zurich station collect the luggage and take a train to Interlaken
    5) Stay in Interlaken

Day 2: 25th Sept 2011
    1) Go to Interlaken West station by 7:30 and catch the Golden Pass train to Engelbern(2-3 stops before Lucern)
    2) Bus to Mt Titlis Spend time in Titlis
    3) Train from Engelbern to Lusern
    4) Visit Chappel bridge (please suggest any other places which is a good place is Lusern)
    5) Catch a train and back to interlaken

Day 3: 26th Sept 2011
    1) Go to Interlaken West and catch a train to Lautterburen
    2) From lautterburen a train to Jungfrunch and visit Jungfrunch
    3) Back to Lautterburen
    4) Take a cable car from Lautterburen to Murren village and see the village and from other sider of murren village take a cable car back to downstairs and catch a bus to visit Tummblebach Falls
    5) Back to Interlaken

Day 4: 27th Sept
    1) Roam Interlaken till afternoon
    2) Travel to Zurich airport
    3) Back to Denmark

1) Is this planning correct?
    2) Have we left any important places to visit?
    3) Which Swiss pass do u suggest? Swiss Saver or Swiss saver Flexi?
    4) Do we need to take any train tickets in the above plan or is swiss pass sufficient?

Please reply
    Thanks and Regards,
    Bhavana

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 September 2011 at 3:55:48 #834284

Can anyone please reply to the above query ??

Arno
    15483 posts
    12 September 2011 at 9:10:30 #834285

Hello Bhavana, and welcome to the forum. As for your questions:

1) and 2) Yes, your planning looks very doable. You can plan your trips exactly with the aid of the Swiss timetable. Just make sure to spell all places correctly (for example: Lauterbrunnen, Engelberg, Jungfraujoch); otherwise the timetable may not recognize them. You’ve managed to include some great highlights in your itinerary. To prevent you from traveling too much in these 4 days, I wouldn’t add further trips if I were you. This topic provides all details on getting to the Rhine falls.

3) The 4 day Swiss Saver Pass would be an ideal fit for your journey. All details and purchase options are listed at the Swiss Pass page. Just fill out your country of residence and other travel data in the upper right corner for an up to date overview of resellers and prices.

4) The map we link to from the Swiss Saver Pass page shows where the Swiss Pass offers free traveling (all regular train, bus and boat routes) and which routes (mostly mountain transportation) are discounted. In your case, you’d need additional discounted tickets for Engelberg-Titlis and Wengen-Jungfraujoch.

I hope this gets you started! Regards,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 September 2011 at 6:16:40 #834286

Thanks a lot for your detailed reaply, i have couple of queries

1) I am trying to book the Swiss saver pass(2nd class) from the below mentioned website because it is a little more cheaper, in the above link if i mention the country as Denmark(as i am currently in denmark) it is showing buying in switzerland is cheaper and it is approx 375 euros; but in the below link swiss 2nd class saver pass is approx 330 euros

http://www.raileurope-world.com/rail-products/rail-passes/article/swiss-pass

Can i buy the pass in the above website?

2) Once I select the pass it asks for travelers names and country of Residence. Actually we are from India(passport is of India) but currently in denmark and planning to visit switzerland from denmark, so what will be my country of residence ?? India or Denmark

Can you please help me out with this?

Arno
    15483 posts
    14 September 2011 at 1:38:59 #834287

Hi Bhavana,

Yes, it looks like you can order directly from the global RailEurope website. Until recently, they used to ship to non European customers only. But it indeed looks like they’ve changed that. Just give it a try.

I’ll be checking for more information on this. We may want to add that website to our reseller lists.

Your country of residence is India, as I suppose that is the country listed on your passport. It does not matter that you’re curently in Denmark.

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 September 2011 at 9:10:11 #834288

Hi Bhavana,

Did you manage to order through that global RailEurope website? I checked a bit further and found that they indeed ship to Europe, but only for non-European residents. Since you’re from India but currently located in Denmark, you qualify, but most people don’t.

Anyway, enjoy your stay!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 September 2011 at 15:15:50 #834289

Hello Moderator,

I am planning to visit switzerland for two days (1&2 October 2011). I am coming from Nancy, France. I hold indian passport and had an valid visa. I had already booked the tickets from Nancy to Zurich and I will be reaching Zurich at 11.30 AM on 1st October 2011. I will be leaving Zurich on 3rd October 2011 at 2:00 Pm. I am staying in Luzern.

I am interested to visit Mt.Titlis (01.10.2011) & Jungfraujoch(02.10.2011).. Kindly advice me what train pass I should take. My requirement is second class. Is it possible to buy the pass in counter, Nancy, France. Kindly advice how to go to the above places?. Is it possible to go alone with out the support of the tourist operator services. Is any promotional code available for me to reduce the fare. If you provide me an tour itinerary for the above requirement then it would be more helpful. Thank you in advance.

Regards
    Venkatesh

Annika
    7116 posts
    18 September 2011 at 5:57:29 #834290

Hello Venkatesh, and welcome to the forum! For a short 2 day stay in Switzerland, you’re generally bes off with the Swiss Half Fare Card. This allows a 50% discount on nearly all trips made within Switzerland. Details and purchase options are listed at the Swiss Half Fare Card page.

Yes, you can easily travel alone without a tourist operator. Public transportation is very well organised and if you know in advance where to go and from what platform to leave, you’ll easily find your way. The Swiss timetable will be of great help in planning your trip. Just enter Lucerne as your departure station, fill out the right date and departure time, and enter either ‘Kleintitlis’ or ‘Jungfraujoch’ as your destination. All possible connections with details will be listed.

By the way, would you mind creating a new topic for your further questions, instead of attaching them to an already existing thread? Thank you!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2011 at 5:31:24 #834291

Hi Arno,

I was able to book the swiss pass in rail europe-world website and today I received my Swiss Pass as well .. I am so excited 🙂 ..
    I have reserved seat in Golden Pass Train Number 2209(07:04AM train) from Interlaken Ost to Luzern, will this train stop at Engelberg? Because that day I have plans of getting down in Engelberg Visit Mt Titlis and then come back to the station catch another train to Luzern from Engelberg and roam Luzern ..

If this train does not stop at Engelberg where should we get down to visit Mt Titlis??

Please help with the above information

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 September 2011 at 15:53:52 #834292

Hello Bhavana. No, the train from Interlaken Ost to Lucerne doesn’t stop at Engelberg. You’ll have to change trains in Lucerne and get on the regional train to Engelberg for your visit to the Titlis. Please refer to the Swiss timetable to get an exact overview of your trip. Just enter Interlaken Ost or Lucerne as your departure station and ‘Kleintitlis’ as your arrival station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 September 2011 at 16:39:10 #834293

Thanks a lot for the reply .. Its much easier and clear now for me to plan my trip .. I had one query I have already booked rooms in Rubenpark B&B and have also taken the Swiss pass ; apart from hotel and food expense ; approximately how much min franks or EUR’s would you suggest us to carry for the above trip. Expenses like entrance tickets etc .. Approx min or safer amount if you can suggest.

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 September 2011 at 14:31:33 #834294

Hello Bhavana. You could start off with about CHF 250.00, and get to an ATM if you need more. There are plenty at shops and banks in all towns.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 October 2011 at 12:40:18 #834295

Thanks a lot for answering my queries..

I have one last very urgent question to ask .. please reply by tomorrow as we are leaving to Switzerland by midnight tomorrow ..

We want to see Rhine falls by boating .. So from Zurich after we catch a train to Schaffhausen station , where should we go to board the boat?
    Will we get boats anywhere near to Schaffhausen station or should we go anywhere?? Please give us the details.

Thanks a lot

Bhavana

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 October 2011 at 13:33:51 #834296

Hi Bhavana,

All details are on the Rhinefall website.

Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 October 2011 at 2:38:10 #834297

Thanks a lot .. It was really helpful .. As far as I understood we need to take a bus to “Neuhausen am Rheinfall” and alight at “Zentrum” and then walk to Schlossli Worth .. and there are boats from there ..

Please let me know whether I am correct ??

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 October 2011 at 8:05:04 #834298

Hi Bhavana. There are several ways to get there. More details can be found in this topic as well.

• The thread ‘Please review my trip to switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.