How to find train routes in Wengen with timetable?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 0:23:37 #814982

Hi Experts, i cant seem to find the train on http://www.sbb.ch/en.

Day 1: Grindewald, Kleine Scheidegg, Jungfraujoch, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen with the waterfalls

Day 2: Schilthorn and Mürren

1) What would or should be the sequence of visits for the following place from Wengen?? Where should Interlaken be? Do the shops close early and what should be a typical start and end time of a day?

2) Is it too rush and economical? I will be getting the SHF card.

3) I will be leaving Wengen for a flight to London. Which should be the convenient airport and does my SHF covers?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 2:52:06 #879963

Hello Swiss1979,

When are you travelling? You should be able to find the routes mentioned above but not ticket prices if you look too far ahead.

Where are you staying? Could you give us a bit more idea of your overall itinerary. How are you getting to the Jungfrau Region in the first place?

I would suggest confine day 1 to the Jungfraujoch roundtrip (http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e).

Day 2 a very nice circuit to do is Lauterbrunnen to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (cogwheel train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schilthorn. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look. All these places are searcheable on the MySwissAlps website.

You can fly to London from Basel or Zurich or Geneva. Transport to those airports would be discounted 50% with Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 5:00:45 #879964

Hi, i will be flying into Zurich likely on the 8th of June and heading for Lucerne.

1) Arrival at Zurich, head for Lucerne

2) Mount Pilatus

3) Mount Titlis

4) Bern and Lake Thun

5) Head for Wengen

6) Lauterbrunnen > Grütschalp (cable car) > Mürren (cogwheel train) > Gimmelwald (cable car) > Stechelberg (cable car) > Lauterbrunnen (bus) >Trummelbach Falls.

7) Jungfraujoch roundtrip

8) ????

9) Head for London.

Qns:

1) Is there much to do in Lucerne other than the 2 trips to Pilatus and Titlis? For both days, will i have time to do other stuffs after the trips? I am not too keen on museums and would prefer exploring local delicacies, malls, small businesses, etc

2) Would the day trip to Bern be better from Lucerne or Wengen?

3) How about flying to London? Which airport make sense economically and distance wise?

4) Possible to squeeze in another city like Basel? What should i do on day8?

5) Day 6 is realistic?

6) Typically malls n shops close and open at what time? How about weekends? Are there popular markets which interests us in our previous trips to Europe.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 5:13:59 #879965

1. Heaps. The Old Town is nice to wander, Chapel Bridge, The Lion Monument, Lake cruises. See http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne/activities

2. I’d say go to Bern while you are in the Jungfrau Region. Good plan B for poor weather day.

3. Depends on flight prices but Basel probably.

4. See 3. Or Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) to Montreux?

5. Absolutely and don’t miss Schilthorn (above Mürren) and Birg Thrill Walk if weather is good.

6. Depends where you are. Sundays can be a problem for shops but there is always something open near major stations. Markets I don’t know.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 5:20:38 #879966

Hi, thanks for the reply. As for Schilthorn, does it mean it ia within walking distance from Murren? Upon completion, walk back to Murren to commence journey to Gimmelwald?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 5:37:26 #879967

It’s rather a long walk and a very steep climb. 😇

But the good news is that there is a cable car to help. See http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn. Even better it is free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

If you go to Schilthorn you may decide you have already seen enough of the Jungfrau and can save yourself the expensive ride to Jungfraujoch. Who knows?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 13:36:52 #879968

Would you suggest i skip Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch? I mean, i am already going Titlis in Lucerne. Is visiting all 3 an overkill considering the cost? I do want to see snow in this holiday.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 18:12:45 #879969

Please advise how i can get to London from Wengen on 15/6. Flights from Basel are limited and baggage fees are incredibly expensive.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 19:03:02 #879970

Hi Swiss1979,

Did you check easyJet? I see flights for around CHF70,- excl. hold luggage. You could check flights from Zurich as well.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 March 2018 at 21:13:29 #879971

You will see plenty of snow. Personally I would do Schilthorn and skip Jungfraujoch. But that’s mainly due to Scrooge-like tendencies. Jungfraujoch is outside my price range.

You will have different values so your choice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 13:45:58 #879972

Hi Rockoyster, i have read abt the Swiss Travel pass and doesnt seem to understand it one bit. Also, i cant seem to find much details on what the Jungfraujoch round trip emcompasses?

1) What is the Jungfraujoch roundtrip consist of? The tickets are incredibly pricey. Does it cover all train rides to different spots? Does it also cover some of the tourist attractions like Ice Palace , etc.

2) With the Swiss Travel pass and with the following, is it value for 8 days given my itinerary?

3) Are there duplications in terms of visits to the following towns from Day 6 and 7?

pls advise.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 16:00:35 #879973

Hi Swiss1979,

Let us know what is troubling you with the Swiss Travel Pass. If you want to know what trips it covers click here.

1. Read about getting to Jungfraujoch here & yes once you are there there everything is included (except snow park)
    2. It is often a good deal for travelers on longer trips. To choose the best rail pass click here for help.
    3. You mean to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn? Is that Day 6 and 7? In that case no duplication.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2018 at 16:34:22 #879974

Hi Lucas,

Q1) i foresee myself making the following trips during my 8 days stay in Switzerland. Is it still value to take 8 days Swiss Travel Pass cos its gonna cost close to 300 Chf.

.Zurich Airport to Lucerne

.Lucerne to Mt Pilatus and back

.Lucerne to Mt Titlis and back

.Lucerne to Wengen

.Wengen to Bern and back

Day 6: From WengenLauterbrunnen > Grütschalp (cable car) > Mürren (cogwheel train) > Gimmelwald (cable car) > Stechelberg (cable car) > Lauterbrunnen (bus) >Trummelbach Falls.

Day 7: From Wengen: Jungfraujoch round trip.

From Wengen to Basel/Zurich airport.

Q2) No. Day 6 and Day 7 as shown above. Is the roundtrip of Jungfraujoch in day 7 duplicating the places on day 6? The roundtrip is continuous or is there somewhere which i can read on its perks, stops, route, and the freebies it offers?

Q3) I heard that the Swiss Travel pass doesnt cover certain stations of my day 6 n 7. Also, its better to book the roundtrip ticket on days with good weather and avoid advance booking?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2018 at 10:12:49 #879975

Hi Swiss1979,

1. As Lucas said you should read “How to choose the best travel pass”. A clearly mapped out itinerary is the basis for deciding which pass suits. Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. The page has a spreadsheet to help you.
    2. It’s not a duplication. Find a map of the round trip here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e. You can get off the train.
    3. The Swiss Travel Pass covers the train to Grindelwald or Wengen. You get a 25% discount on your ticket for the train from Grindelwald or Wengen to Jungfraujoch. Without a rail pass you don’t get any discount at all. Keep that in mind when you do the math for choosing the best travel pass. Yes, don’t book your ticket in advance. Check the weather the day (or morning) before you’re planning the trip.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 3:21:30 #879976

Hi all, my finalised itinerary as goes:

1) Arrival at Zurich airport, head for Lucerne

2) Mount Pilatus

3) Mount Titlis

4) Head for Wengen

5) Lauterbrunnen > Grütschalp (cable car) > Mürren (cogwheel train) > Gimmelwald (cable car) > Stechelberg (cable car) > Lauterbrunnen (bus) >Trummelbach Falls.

6) Jungfraujoch roundtrip

7) Day trip to Bern and Lake Thun

8) Head for Zurich Airport, fly to London

1) My wife is keen to incorporate a ride on the Glacier Express. However, i am very reluctant despite having a STP. I read that the best views are from mountains and given my tight schedule, its kinda silly to spend a full day looking out of the window of a scenic route which takes me to nowhere i plan to go

2) My frd suggested i take out Mount Pilatus and do the “golden pass route” instead. Or should i take out my “day trip to Bern” and take from Interlaken for this ride?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 April 2018 at 3:37:07 #879977

Looking good. Commenting on your notes . . . .

Note 1. I’m with you.

Note 2. You will (or should) do part of Golden Pass Line (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) going from Luzern to Wengen. Going all the way to Montreux instead of Pilatus doesn’t sound like a great idea. I would suggest Rigi (http://www.myswissalps.com/ri gi/gettingthere) as a free alternative to Pilatus seeing you already plan Titlis, Jungfraujoch and although I don’t see it surely Schilthorn (http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn) if you are in Mürren. You could substitute Golden Pass to Montreux for Bern day trip. That might appease your wife’s desire for a scenic train ride.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 April 2018 at 4:22:44 #879978

Thanks RO. Great help as always.

1) I will probably take heed ur advice and slot Schilthorn into day 5 of my itinerary, between Murren and Gimmelwald. If we were to leave in the morning, will we have enough time for day 5? Also, i assume all the visiting spots are walking distance from alighting at their respective stations? Are they like little villages with small populations?

2) Great idea on using my STP for the GPL on day 4, from Lucerne to Wengen. How would you compare the travelling time? Do they both end up at the same Wengen station?

3) I dont quite understand your say on Pilatus. Do u mean using the GPL to Pilatus or skip it for Rigi?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 April 2018 at 4:40:16 #879979

You’re welcome.

1. Schilthorn cable way departs from Mürren. They are all small villages. Mürren is about 500m end-to-end. If you blinked you would miss Gimmelwald apart from the cable car stations. You should easily be able to do that circuit in a day.

2. You can check travel times using the Swiss Train Timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw). The only way to get to Wengen is to start off at Interlaken Ost so it doesn’t matter which route you take from Lucerne.

3. You originally said “My frd suggested i take out Mount Pilatus and do the “golden pass route” instead”. I presumed that meant GPL to Montreux which makes no sense from Lucerne. Rigi is an alternative to Pilatus. GPL to Montreux is an alternative to day trip to Bern from Wengen. But only if your wife is mad keen on a scenic train ride. It’s a long day. Hope that’s clear now.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    4 April 2018 at 5:38:12 #879980

I just realised where the confusion may lie.

Your friend suggested the “golden pass route” which I interpreted to mean the Golden Pass Line.

Perhaps your friend meant the ‘Golden Round Trip’ to Pilatus? Take the boat from Lucerne to Alpnachstad. Change to the cogwheel train to the Pilatus. Then take the cable car down to Fräkmüntegg and change to the gondola to Kriens. It’s a 10 minute walk to the bus stop called ‘Kriens, Zentrum Pilatus’. There, you can take bus line 1 to the Lucerne rail station (15 minutes). See http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus/gettingthere.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 April 2018 at 1:38:19 #879981

Hi RO,

I wil heed your advice and do the GPL for Lucerne to Interlaken. However, how do we differentiate the normal trains to the GPL’s? Do we just buy them using our STP at the ticket office? and the routes should differ significantly?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 April 2018 at 3:29:09 #879982

The GPL is a route not a specific train. If you look up the SBB timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw) for Luzern to Interlaken Ost via Meringen the only train that follows that route is the Luzern to Interlaken Express. It departs hourly.

With an STP you don’t need a ticket or a reservation. Just hop on any departure that suits and go.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘How to find train routes in Wengen with timetable?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.