Rail Help for First Time European Travellers

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 December 2013 at 15:31:00 #806227

Hello, my wife and I are traveling from Australia next May/June, we are going to visit Switzerland for a short time and it is all a bit confusing, our itineary for this part of our trip is still to be confirmed, but basically:
    We are coming from Paris (17May), then want to spend 2 days (18/19May) visiting Jungfraugh, and Probably do the Mt Plateaus round trip, then we are travelling to Schruns (Austria)(20May) to spend three days as our official 30th anniversary break, then stay overnight in Chur(23May) to catch Bernina Express (24May) and end up on that day in Venice to catch a cruise on the following day (25May14). Initially we were going to try and come from Paris to Juanfraugh on the same day and then go on to Luzern, but that seemed a bit too much!!
    Sounds confusing, yes I am – but any help with passes and what would be the best way to get from paris to Jungfraugh and then seeing as much of Switzerland as possible, without killing ourselves. Thanks for your time, your sight has been very helpful so far, and we hope you can give us some practical advice.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 December 2013 at 8:29:28 #839459

Welcome to the forum icardi! That’s an impressive travel scheme indeed. I would suggest something like this:
    – May 17: enter Switzerland from Paris to Basel and travel on to Interlaken or a nearby town;
    – May 18: visit the Jungfraujoch from Interlaken and travel to Lucerne in the afternoon;
    – May 19: make the Golden Round trip to Pilatus from Lucerne;
    – May 20: travel from Lucerne to Austria;
    – May 23: travel from Austria to Chur;
    – May 24: travel from Chur to Venice via the Bernina Express.

It would be more relaxed if you wouldn’t visit Austria in between, but either before or after your visit to Switzerland, e.g. Paris – Switzerland – Austria – Italy. If that’s not an option, it will be a tight itinerary, but still doable. All trips in, to and from Switzerland can be found with the aid of the timetable. Do mind the right spelling when entering your destinations; I assume you mean Jungfraujoch and Mt. Pilatus for example? Keep in mind that trips to viewing points like the Jungfraujoch and Pilatus are highly weather dependent, so you may want to find some back-up plans.

As for rail passes: if you plan intensive traveling while you’re in Austria, you could look into the Eurail Austria-Switzerland pass (available in 1st class only). If not, you can best buy regular tickets for your trips in Austria and a rail pass for Switzerland only. In that case a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass would make most sense. You’d use free travel days for May 17, 19 and 24 and maybe for some other days in between; that depends on your final itinerary. On the remaining days you’ll profit from a 50% discount. Prices in AUD are here.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 December 2013 at 16:27:29 #839460

Thank You for that advice, can you tell me if we use the above itinerary, the difference between first and second class, we will be both just over 50 and as it is a celebration would prefer to enjoy our experiences, if they are worth paying the extra for first class, apologies for the spelling and many thanks Russell and Julie

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 December 2013 at 2:39:01 #839461

Hello Russell and Julie,

The difference is that there’s more space in first class. It’s a bit more luxurious too. Second class is fine so upgrading is not essential; more like a treat if you feel like making it an extra special trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 January 2014 at 7:09:04 #839462

Hi and Happy New Yer, we have booked our first class Swiss pass, and now question1 – when we look at reserving a seat (for 24th May 2014) on Bernina express on RHB website there is only three left – will they have more in other cars or is there another way of checking, thx

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 January 2014 at 7:55:18 #839463

Hi Russell and Julie,

The other seats are either booked or not available via the booking system you have been using. Alternative online booking can be found here (2-3 months before traveling) or you can email the RhB.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2014 at 6:32:11 #839464

Thanks for your input from previous request !! It helps us out. another question ?? We have tried a number of research avenues to answer this before seeking more help here… Is there lockers at Lauterbrennan station as we are leaving hostel in the morning to travel up to Jungfraujoch, then onto Lucerne after our day trip. Looking to store our baggage somewhere safe, convenient and time saving?

Thanks appreciate any feedback Cheers Julie & Russell

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    2 February 2014 at 9:11:53 #839465

Hi icardi,

If you follow this link you can fill out Lauterbrunnen and find details of this train station.
    There are baggage facilities, open from 07.00 till 19.00 h.

Hope this helps,
    enjoy your preparation

Wandermann

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2014 at 9:24:58 #839466

Thank you Wandermann!!!!!!

We did follow this link but didn’t read it as lockers rather booking in luggage for trains? Sorry my mistake… feel more confident now… Just booked in the hostel at Lauterbruggen… getting excited and having these contacts and forums/blogs is so amazingly helpful… Bless you for your kindness in your time, I hope I can help others out, passing it on… trust you have an awesome day !!! Thanks again Julie

• The thread ‘Rail Help for First Time European Travellers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.