Rail pass options for 6 days in Wengen?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 January 2018 at 20:18:02 #814019

Hi,

I will be travelling to Switzerland July 2018 with my mother and 13 year old daughter. We will arrive in Zurich and go straight to Wengen. We will then spend 6 full days in Wengen and then travel back to Zurich (spending one night in Zurich before our flight) to fly home. I’m confused as to what rail pass would be best. We will be doing hiking and visiting other villages in the area, so one that covers the gondolas and lifts would be best. So I basically need a pass that covers Zurich to Wengen on day one, 6 full days in Wengen, and then 1 day of Wengen back to Zurich. I have read the rail website several times and am still confused.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 January 2018 at 21:21:22 #874181

Hi tharper and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Have you read about how to chose the best travel pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass)?

For your plans, most likely point-to-point ticket between Wengen and Zurich combined with a Jungfrau Travel Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrautravelpass) may work out best. A pass for you and your mother and a CHF30 Junior Travelcard (http://www.myswissalps.com/ju niortravelcard) for your daughter (she then travels for free).

A Swiss Transfer Ticket (http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstransferticket) will save you a bit of money on the Zurich to Wengen and return trip.

But you need to do the sums to compare with a Swiss Half-fare Card or an 8-day Swiss Travel Pass/Swiss Family Card combination taking into account coverage of the alternatives. e.g. Schilthorn Cable Car and Allmendhubel Funicular are free on STP but not JTP.

the Travel Pass options win hands down over the half-far Card for convenience. No (or minimal) tickets to buy.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 4:33:38 #874182

Thank you for your reply. We plan on hiking and moving about the region a lot. Would the Swiss Travel pass cover more of the gondolas and lifts than the Junfrau Travel Pass? I’m not sure if we would go to Schitlhorn or Jungfrau, we will probably decide once we are there depending on weather. I have a hard time looking at the coverage maps and knowing if that covers the gondolas too.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 January 2018 at 5:42:14 #874183

On the Swiss Travel Pass validity map the railways are red and the cableways black. Solid lines are free. Dotted lines are 50% discount except for railways from Wengen or Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch which are 25% discount (the red dotted lines with the ① next to them).

On the Jungfrau validity map everything you see is covered except for Jungfraujoch from Eigergleischter, which is 50% discounted.

Jungfrau Travel Pass probably gives you better coverage for what you want to do, especially if you are not interested in Schilthorn. But Swiss Travel Pass also covers your return trip to Zurich so that’s where the cost balancing comes in.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2018 at 15:45:12 #874184

Thank you so much. That is just the information that I needed.

• The thread ‘Rail pass options for 6 days in Wengen?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.